Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Killer5

Flotsam - 16 hard boom compatible maps

I love those brick pillars in the first screenshot. Man, that looks good! Want to play this. Are they really "hard"? T_T

This looks interesting,  I'm putting it on my list.

There's always more death to experience :D .

@Benjogami Beating your platform segment on UV gives me hope in humanity. Here's an ugly demo lol: floatsamcat01.zip (after making through it the first time the demo just showcases me screwing around, close it when you get there)

Here's a slow play through of map 07 (UV). Ended up loosing my sense of orientation several times because of how the map looked the same to me in every direction when I was standing in certain spots. Also ended up looking around for random remaining monsters a bit, the two stuck former humans at the exit that I overlooked all the time sure did confuse me, because I thought there's gotta be something turreted somewhere else that I didn't find or whatever.

Anyway, fun map. Have a demo, it's nothing special and anything but optimized, just the first exit I got: flotsam_beta1-07.zip

So here's a demo of map 11, got killed by the last 3 cybers, they literally all took a step forward and fired simultaneously, leaving me with no way to react properly at all. I'm not super butthurt, since it's a short map, but I can't help but feel that I deserved better than not having a realistic chance in that moment. On a side note, I'm not sure if the way I played that map was correct/intended in the first place, but I guess it kinda works out if one is willing to roll the dice.
flotsam_beta1-11.zip

wow that was rough :l that was pretty much exactly the way it was intended to be played yeah.. throughout all the testing ive never had all 3 cybs do that in that manner though, that was pretty rude of them :(
****edited to add i should really thank everyone for all the demos, they are very much appreciated!

Yeah, thanks for the demos and feedback! Sorry about that map, @NoisyVelvet. HNTR should probably be easier. :P My approach to difficulty settings in challenge maps when I made that map was just small changes, slightly more powerful resources and some tiny nerfs. But I'm not really into that anymore.

map11, which is just a simple box of revs and cybs using an obscene abmount of 242 sectors... software renerding basically displays it as a large collection of slimetrails masquerading as a map though so i'd recommend GL for that one :)

i did, thanks for your kind words! also good spot on that typo, it took me re-reading your post twice and triple checking my own to spot that :P

So here's another demo for map 07, finishes in 16:xx, so it's probably less annoying to watch, though I played it pretty lame from a certain point onward. I wouldn't be surprised if the map can be maxed within 12 minutes with hardcore dicerolling. flotsam_beta2-07.zip

What happened this time was that some turreted trons and mancs survived, admittedly I basically forgot to kill the mancs when going for the switches where all the pinkies are "stashed", but as it stands I think the map could use crushers which activate after the sequence that opens the exit has been completed. Clean-up duties are fine and all, but I feel like knowing that at least everything that's turreted outside the "playspace" is guranteed to be dead at a certain point would help with the actual clean-up in the playable area, because people can concentrate solely on the playable area instead of looking for turrets that somehow didn't get killed during infights or something. It's a minor point though.

thats a good idea, thanks :) I'll implement that in the final/next version.. i had intended on the initial secret invuln to be possibly used to vilejump up to the center switch which would save a *massive* chunk of time.. not sure how feasible it is to survive after hitting that switch though, especially with all the viles left on those switch platforms. But as always, demo was much appreciated!

Just finished Map07. It took me 45 minutes for S/L, with final time being 29 minutes or something. It's kind of unbelievable to me where Heels can finish it around 16 min... I'm not a very good player, but Map07 is quite handle-able (obviously this is not a word) for me, but it's quite difficult for me to produce an actual demo.

The map is quite generous for resources IMO. It seems it's very difficult to use up the Megaspheres, and there are 2 Invuls for the later wave of Arch-viles. Overall it's very enjoyable. Turrets sometimes could be a problem. Luckily I had them dead by infighting, but I can imagine that one or two of them didn't die and you need to fight them.

BTW, for some reason, I always mixed up bemused and benjogami, and think bemused is benjo's alter ego or vice versa...

9 minutes ago, bemused said:

i had intended on the initial secret invuln to be possibly used to vilejump up to the center switch which would save a *massive* chunk of time..

I tried that a couple times, the reason I couldn't make it happen properly at all is that the cybies are really prone to just knock back before you get your hands anywhere near the switch, and even if that worked out, there's still the issue that grabbing the invuln near that switch is gonna be down to chance as well. I'm not sure I would wanna grind the map that way, to be honest. Seems like a recipe for frustration

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Seems like a recipe for frustration

yeah its not ideal i must admit.. i hit it a grand total of about 3 times off the start in my attempts then gave up in a salty cloud of butthurt once i got immediately roasted by the viles outside.. the amount of surplus resources and stuff laying around give options to how its approached though so other than the crushers im probably gonna leave it as it stands unless some hideously gamebreaking bug appears.. also id just like to confirm benjo and i are indeed different people haha :D

48 minutes ago, bemused said:

yeah its not ideal i must admit.. i hit it a grand total of about 3 times off the start in my attempts then gave up in a salty cloud of butthurt once i got immediately roasted by the viles outside..

Maybe I can make this work at some point: I_tried.zip

Unfortunately I got bumped into a cybie rocket.. Might be more doable than I thought it would be, but god help the poor soul who wants an optimal max, heh...