Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Killer5

Flotsam - 16 hard boom compatible maps

4 hours ago, bemused said:

i did, thanks for your kind words! also good spot on that typo, it took me re-reading your post twice and triple checking my own to spot that :P

it looks even better in game!

however, 40 minutes of attempts later, my play cannot be said to match the visuals :p

21 hours ago, bemused said:

wow that was rough :l that was pretty much exactly the way it was intended to be played yeah.. throughout all the testing ive never had all 3 cybs do that in that manner though, that was pretty rude of them :(
****edited to add i should really thank everyone for all the demos, they are very much appreciated!

heh. i watched the demo too, wouldnt a simple fix be to have the 3 cybers facing the switches?

yes you could try and rush one of them but the chances are youd then get blind-sided by the other 2 waking up.

would avoid instant splattage

Just now, rehelekretep said:

wouldnt a simple fix be to have the 3 cybers facing the switches?

Believe it or not they are facing the switches lol :P 

Map11 (beta2) UV Max in 3:40

flotsam11-340.zip

To be honest, not a fan of the last room, but I guess I am lucky enough not taking any damage... Overall, it's a pretty fun map. The strats I used are going for maximum safety, not speed. It's a pretty fun experience for the Cyber + Rev combination. Probably this is the only map I can beat in this WAD, lol.

I got knocked into the last room by accident once. Probably having a switch in the way would be better? Or basically it's not really an issue.

Just checked map 07 on HMP and it rocked! Gorgeous tribute/update/remake of Playground. Died upon the first invul fight, couldn't see or hear anything else than fire and TRSHTRSHTRSHTRTRTSHSHTSHT. One thing, the arachnotrons on the shadowed platforms were stuck. 

Then checked map 09 though I had already seen it in one of loveless' streams. Died a couple times between the revs and another trying to use the switches. Really hard to keep my eyes on both the revs and cybers at the same time so winning could take either hours or minutes. I wouldn't imagine this map to be of my taste if it wasn't for the beautiful black/orange scheme :P 

And lastly checked a little bit of map 12 in god mode because yes haha. I found myself stuck in this area which I'm not sure if it's intentionally inescapable or there's a hidden way out there or the liquids are damaging which perhaps I should have turned off god mode to see aaaaaaa. Anyways, looked damn good so far.

12 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

And lastly checked a little bit of map 12 in god mode because yes haha. I found myself stuck in this area which I'm not sure if it's intentionally inescapable or there's a hidden way out there or the liquids are damaging which perhaps I should have turned off god mode to see aaaaaaa. Anyways, looked damn good so far.

Yeah, the way out of that area is death, so... not softlocked ;)

Oh ok. Wait, found something else.

This HOM at the, supposedly, final fight. I hope the picture is clear enough evidence because I have no idea how to interpret that in DB2.

3 minutes ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Oh ok. Wait, found something else.

This HOM at the, supposedly, final fight. I hope the picture is clear enough evidence because I have no idea how to interpret that in DB2.

Which version of the beta are you using? This was a node problem that should be fixed in beta 2.

Just finished Map01. It took me 44 minutes and I restarted once because I wasted too many rockets for the first part. Yeah, I have to agree this map on UV is for weirdos. The platforming is actually not that difficult, compared to the battles after it... Although you are required to traverse the platforms twice, but at the second time, you're not forced to go fast due to not being damaging floor anymore.

It seems you can use Arch-vile jump to get into the corner to deal with the enemies. There are even stairs and a candle, so I would guess it's intended?

BTW, I think benjo hates Tetris!

4 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Just finished Map01. It took me 44 minutes and I restarted once because I wasted too many rockets for the first part. Yeah, I have to agree this map on UV is for weirdos. The platforming is actually not that difficult, compared to the battles after it... Although you are required to traverse the platforms twice, but at the second time, you're not forced to go fast due to not being damaging floor anymore.

It seems you can use Arch-vile jump to get into the corner to deal with the enemies. There are even stairs and a candle, so I would guess it's intended?

BTW, I think benjo hates Tetris!

Oh yeah, I think that spot you can vile jump into used to be a softlock (this map is pretty old, my memory is foggy :D), and I went with a gentler fix that enables some cheese, cause I like that sort of stuff. Although, I just had a look at it to refresh my memory, and you can still get softlocked on the other side. I'll fix that for the next beta. I'll also be making changes to HNTR and HMP for MAP01, to make them easier and bring them closer to my current preference for skill settings.

44 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Which version of the beta are you using? This was a node problem that should be fixed in beta 2.

Apparently beta1, I didn't notice the update, oops... 

30 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

I think that spot you can vile jump into used to be a softlock (this map is pretty old, my memory is foggy :D), and I went with a gentler fix that enables some cheese, cause I like that sort of stuff.

You are a cool fellow.

i played up to 7 hntr. 

fdas, most dnfs noisy_flotsam_beta2_map2-7hntr.zip (beta 2)

I thought i'd just check these out, giving each a quick pass-through to see what's up, but then map07 happened so that's where I'm leaving off.

2 hours ago, bemused said:

Believe it or not they are facing the switches lol :P

Are you sure they can't hear players before they teleport in? I'm quite certain I tried using a silent BFG trick there in my demo.

Also, beftore I forget... Vile jumps for map 7 can fail at times because viles get caught in infights, imo the platforms should be raised to make them at least slightly more reliable. I would also like it better if that "assembly of uselessness", aka the weapons that are only there to avoid forced swaps later were stacked underneath the player start, and ideally that door to the invul could also open faster to make the map more "agressive reset friendly".

2 hours ago, Benjogami said:

you can still get softlocked on the other side.

Yeah, if you get launched into the corner or the other side, you can't get back out. Any tips about the first part with the 3 Archies? It seems I can't come up with a way to solve it.

@bemusedAh, forgot to say, I found that Rocket Launcher "secret" on Map11. Sadly I thought it's something good, haha.

Edited by GarrettChan

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

Yeah, if you get launched into the corner or the other side, you can't get back out. Any tips about the first part with the 3 Archies? It seems I can't come up with a way to solve it.

The 3 viles will be 1 HK on the new HNTR, to give you an idea of how much easier it will be :D Right now, HNTR's only difference from UV is easier platforming, a mega for the first fight, and 1 less vile per fight.

For the 3 viles, Zzul made a UV demo for beta2 (included in the zip) which shows the most reliable way: pacifist and keep the revs asleep so they block the viles in, then slowly use infighting and selective rev waking and around-corner punching. I've also had some success with waking everything up and trying to lure the viles out to get them hit by cybers. But it's pretty dangerous and RNG-filled.

31 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

lots of things

they can hear you yeah.. sound block lines will be added in the next version, thats a good call.. thought id done that already but apparently not :P

viles in 07 could be raised i guess.. but itll have to be 32 units so the texture aligns properly.. priorities right! :D It may make stacking bfg shots on them more difficult due to far away shots not hitting them but its not really an issue, players will have cover underneath them this way. The weapons can all be thrown under the p1 start.. i was trying to avoid the piss hue but they are all so close together and picked up so quickly the tint is present anyway so it doesnt matter where they go.. and il make that door fast opening :) 

16 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

For the 3 viles, Zzul made a UV demo for beta2 (included in the zip) which shows the most reliable way: pacifist and keep the revs asleep so they block the viles in, then slowly use infighting and selective rev waking and around-corner punching.

Oh, I forgot about watching the demo. Actually I think of the pacifist way, but I failed to make the Cyber hit the Archies.

26 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

I found that Rocket Launcher "secret" on Map07. Sadly I thought it's something good, haha.

assuming you mean 11, that is purely there to kill yourself haha ;)

10 minutes ago, bemused said:

assuming you mean 11, that is purely there to kill yourself haha ;)

Oh, crap, I didn't realize I unconsciously wrote Map07 instead of Map11, lol. Probably it's a DN3D reference?

1 minute ago, GarrettChan said:

Probably it's a DN3D reference?

Yeah, figured if the player makes it down there they have actively been trying to do so and should be told off, abyss style :P

1 hour ago, bemused said:

stuff and things

Here's a 14:25, including a vile jump to skip the switches on the platforms. Probably the last demo I record for this map until the next version, that is. flotsam_beta2-07_1425.zip

A last thing I noticed was that the drip feed of monsters lasts quite a bit. I still had stuff spawning in at 10:30 in this demo. I dunno how these spawns are timed and set up, but I think that, if people really push the map to 12:xx or lower, these spawns need to happen faster in order to not cap the UVmax potential the map has. I guess the last thing people might want in a really good run is to wait for the last few things to show up.

7 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Here's a 14:25

another impressive demo, thanks! there actually arent any TPing monsters on this map at all, they are all on-map from the beginning.. there is a TP system to bring them from the center to the outside areas though, which is probably what you encountered there :)

*** edited to add there should hopefully be a new version being posted in a couple of hours, just awaiting benjos map01 edits

37 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Here's a 14:25, including a vile jump to skip the switches on the platforms. Probably the last demo I record for this map until the next version, that is. flotsam_beta2-07_1425.zip

It's very fun to watch this demo, great job. I probably run this map after the final release although I'm aiming for getting pass the map only.

I noticed there are 4 teleporters in the middle of the map. It seems monsters are teleporting from those, although this could be annoying because monsters could be lost somewhere...

Alright, map 7 in 12:52 and still room for improvements, if anybody wants: flotsam_beta3-07-1252.zip

I don't think there's anything in terms of suggestions that I could make at this point. Raising the vile cages worked fine, they're also slightly more interesting to clear now that one can't rush them as easily.

^Ah, talking about Map07, it seems those 3 Mancubi on both sides of those 2 particular switches won't open up properly if you do the skip like that. I'm not sure whether this is still the case in beta3. I mean, if the Arch-vile jump skip is an intended "secret", those Mancubi are not really needed, or maybe I'm wrong about the trigger point of those.

Here's a demo for map 02. flotsam_beta3-02-402.zip

A beautifully annoying little piece of pain in the ass. ;-) Relatively easy to get an exit in, even though I make it look harder than it is, but it's probably not so easy to play fast. Had a few really lucky moments there, and I probably didn't deserve to live through this, but there you go.

I was thinking abou doing a demo for map 05, and after the third restart of the map I noped. Can we please have the ear-rape at the start reduced? Nobody needs 20 revs yelling in their ears at once from that close up.