Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Killer5

Flotsam - 16 hard boom compatible maps

Map04 was neat! Sadly no demo cause i'm not up for the challenge atm :))) I really liked this little slaughter obstacle course, and using platforming sections to gate easy escapes is a nice idea, my patience was tested a lot! The design for the opening segment is breathtaking, never thought a Doom map would give me vertigo! Also i i got out of the Cg battle using only the rocket launcher (obviously luck involved and i didn't kill cybies), until i remember i had the bfg heh

Map 05 dead to the RK-fight: flotsam_beta3-05-xxx.zip

I tested this map before it got released in this set, I hated the RK fight back then and I hate it today. It's cool and makes for a nice experience unless the RNG arbitrarily decides to be a dick, which is what grinds my gears so hard. I don't feel like I had much in the way of agency in the situation that got me killed there, and it's by no means the first time this setup just wouldn't allow me a fair shot. I don't know if I just don't get it or whatever, and maybe I'll try again at some point, but not today. I had 7 runs end there and I don't need an eighth attempt right now.

Edited by Nine Inch Heels

Updated op with new beta. If someone plays and doesn't find anything I will post it to idgames as the final version.

Thanks to those who played previously.

map06:

There are 90 zero-tagged teleporter lines (types 97 and 126, e.g. line 1336). These have no gameplay effect, but cause the engine to freeze momentarily (for every sector with tag 0, search the entire thinglist for a teleport destination in that sector -- thousands of sectors * thousands of things = millions of loop iterations). Please set the lines' types to zero.

The berserk secret mixes single-use and repeatable line actions. The inner door (line 10028) is single use open+stay but the outer activation lines are repeatable open+close. So you get stuck if you enter and let the door close more than once. The inner line should probably be type 1 and no tag.

map12:

In the north section, falling off the poles (sectors 516,518...534) before reaching the yellow key leaves you stuck in the area below. It seems more like a bug than a game-over from a failed pillar jump over an inescapable death pit, because the pit isn't a guaranteed death; there's plenty of safe floor down there.

Beta3 -> Beta4:

Map04: there was an hk marked for skills 2 and 3 when it shouldnt have been.

Map06: sky xfer and texture misalignment fixes.

Map12: fixed issue where the player could get locked out of the bsk area after leaving, spawns bfg in earlier because it was possible to jump down into final area without realizing it spawned in.

Hi, I have a question about map 6. In the area where you pick up the blue key, what are you supposed to do after pressing the two skull switches? Nothing seems to be happening, and I'm stuck because of that :/

I hope I didn't miss anything obvious.

EDIT: Also, I can't figure out the way to trigger those icon of sin walls to lower (the ones with the revs)

I've double-checked and revised some stuff on the map for the new release. Not sure what the issue was with the blue key but it's working in Gzdoom and prboom-plus so hopefully it should be working now. 

7 hours ago, Firedust said:

Also, I can't figure out the way to trigger those icon of sin walls to lower (the ones with the revs)

I'm assuming you mean the ones at the very start? They lowered when you picked up the soulsphere/armour, but I have changed it so they now open when you open the door instead. 

These changes will be in the newest version, coming soon (tm).

4 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I realized that Bemused's level ("Nursery") is inspired by level 32 ("Playground") from Hell Revealed 2.

Nailed it.

I'm not actually sure it's possible for me to complete map01 on UV. It seems completely random how often the hurtfloor on the pillars at the start activates, sometimes I have time to get to the third platform and position myself before I start taking damage, but sometimes it's already damaged me twice when I get there.

1 hour ago, Solarn said:

I'm not actually sure it's possible for me to complete map01 on UV. It seems completely random how often the hurtfloor on the pillars at the start activates, sometimes I have time to get to the third platform and position myself before I start taking damage, but sometimes it's already damaged me twice when I get there.

You just have to be blazingly fast, if you don't stick around on the platforms and just go for it you'll avoid taking damage. I know it's possible as I've done it once. (and then i turned it down to HMP because.... the rest of the map)

The damage seems random because damage tics happen on a fixed clock, and if the center of doomguy isn't in a pain sector when the damage tic occurs, you won't take damage. So, depending on when you start the platforming and how quickly you go, all the damage tics might occur while you're in the air between platforms, causing you no damage. You can also stand on the edge of a damaging platform without taking damage indefinitely if some part of doomguy is still on the platform but his center isn't.

12 hard maps is a bit of an understatement.

I didn't last for more than a few seconds on Map01.

But, luckily there is God Mode.

18 hours ago, Benjogami said:

The damage seems random because damage tics happen on a fixed clock, and if the center of doomguy isn't in a pain sector when the damage tic occurs, you won't take damage. So, depending on when you start the platforming and how quickly you go, all the damage tics might occur while you're in the air between platforms, causing you no damage. You can also stand on the edge of a damaging platform without taking damage indefinitely if some part of doomguy is still on the platform but his center isn't.

I didn't know that, that explains so much and makes the platforming part so much easier, now that I know that I just need to skirt the edges of the platforms.

I haven't given the rest of the maps a fair shake yet and I am sure they are equally excellent, but I got through map08 on HMP and had an awesome time. the Chrono Trigger music is what made me decide to start with this map and I was not disappointed that I did :D lots of really cool fights, and I loved the metal + green theme. going to maybe tackle Scotty's map next as I really like the look of it too, from what I've briefly idclev'd so far

On 1/6/2019 at 4:31 AM, Tango said:

I haven't given the rest of the maps a fair shake yet and I am sure they are equally excellent, but I got through map08 on HMP and had an awesome time. the Chrono Trigger music is what made me decide to start with this map and I was not disappointed that I did :D lots of really cool fights, and I loved the metal + green theme. going to maybe tackle Scotty's map next as I really like the look of it too, from what I've briefly idclev'd so far

I liked "Nursery" more than the other ones in this project.

Edited by mArt1And00m3r11339

Just as a side note in case people didnt catch the edited title, there are 4 new maps in this version, 03, 13, 31 and 32. Hopefully there are no glaring issues we have missed... Many thanks to all who gave valuable feedback and thoughts! :)

Just finished Flotsam, played through PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 on HMP difficulty. No this post is not a full-fledged review, I got ya for a moment there didn't I?

I must admit, this has to be some of the best slaughter I've played in a long time. It had its occasional frustrating moments (seriously, the Chaingunner nest on MAP13 can go fuck itself), but other than that, really good stuff.

The only problems left are on the technical side of things, there's a HOM on MAP14 (jump to 00:23:10 here) and the performance in many areas of MAP11 is absolute garbage (jump to 2:36:50 here for a good example, that's like, what... 15-20fps, though it looks faster in the stream. Hell, even the sound was lagging there lol).

Thanks for playing, glad you liked it. I couldn't catch much live, but I watched the VOD for my maps. I didn't consider the consequences of playing continuously and having a rocket launcher for the start of MAP04. It's pretty rough if you use all the rockets before letting the viles loose. :D

Thank for the bug reports as well. The HOM will likely be fixed, fps issue maybe not. :D There was actually another MAP14 HOM that was fixed in an idgames update on 2/17, so if you downloaded Flotsam before then, you might see it.

Yeah i think seed got the version that was only on idgames for like an hour - clearly my ninja fix attempt wasn't quick enough D:

31 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

Thanks for playing, glad you liked it. I couldn't catch much live, but I watched the VOD for my maps. I didn't consider the consequences of playing continuously and having a rocket launcher for the start of MAP04. It's pretty rough if you use all the rockets before letting the viles loose. :D

Thank for the bug reports as well. The HOM will likely be fixed, fps issue maybe not. :D There was actually another MAP14 HOM that was fixed in an idgames update on 2/17, so if you downloaded Flotsam before then, you might see it.

Yeah, that got me fair and square, I figured you get enough rockets down the road but that didn't really happen until near the end of the map where another AV trap was present :v. Then I tried to make them eat Cyberdemon rockets, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, my final answer to them was Chaingunning them from below.

Speaking of not understanding, I could never get what I was supposed to do at the start of Singularity. I eventually got out of the starting room but I have no idea how, 100% random. Another mistake I made down the road was on Snek, them Radsuits and damaging floors. First time I wasted them by accident, after almost an hour of failed attempts I pistol started the map and avoided doing the same mistake twice.

26 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Yeah i think seed got the version that was only on idgames for like an hour - clearly my ninja fix attempt wasn't quick enough D:

I got the RC1 from the OP.

In that case... i just hope everyone else uses the idgames link above and nothing from the OP. Zzul appears to have left the community indefinitely so we can't edit that (unless a kind mod wants to help us out with that?).

13 hours ago, Scotty said:

In that case... i just hope everyone else uses the idgames link above and nothing from the OP. Zzul appears to have left the community indefinitely so we can't edit that (unless a kind mod wants to help us out with that?).

I wish that one wouldn't have ended up on the idgames archive honestly. We could live with a HOM here and there but I think the performance issues are still present if Benjo's post was any indication, and the framerate drops are significant.