Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EndHack

DeHackEd Attacks

Question

is there a way to make custom damage attacks in DeHackEd I just started using it and have little knowledge 

5 answers to this question

It depends on what type of attack.

Melee: No.

Bullet attacks: No.

Explosions/BFG spray: No.

Projectiles: Yes, set the damage field on the projectile. (Deals x times 1d8 damage)

Ramming attacks (i.e. lost soul): Yes, set the damage field on the enemy that performs the ramming attack. (Deals x times 1d8 damage)

When you get more familiar with the program, some clever exceptions can be made like stacking more than one melee strike into a single tic with 0-length frames, but those are more advanced topics and it holds true that there are no clean/easy ways to adjust things like that in DeHackEd.

9 minutes ago, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

It depends on what type of attack.

Melee: No.

Bullet attacks: No.

Explosions/BFG spray: No.

Projectiles: Yes, set the damage field on the projectile. (Deals x times 1d8 damage)

Ramming attacks (i.e. lost soul): Yes, set the damage field on the enemy that performs the ramming attack. (Deals x times 1d8 damage)

When you get more familiar with the program, some clever exceptions can be made like stacking more than one melee strike into a single tic with 0-length frames, but those are more advanced topics and it holds true that there are no clean/easy ways to adjust things like that in DeHackEd.

BFGSpray can be modified by just adding it to more than one frame in the BFG ball's death animation (not to mention adding Explosion codepointers to the BFG Impact sprite...). You can see these types of modifications in this old mod compilation.

As for the other restrictions, they don't hold if you're making an MBF-format BEX file. That gives you access to Detonate, an explosion whose radius & damage are determined by the thing's damage box (as used by the Lost Soul), Scratch, a melee with custom damage + custom sound, and BetaSkullAttack, which again uses the monster's damage box and acts like a long-range Scratch (in other words, a hitscan that never misses).

Using WhackEd4 in conjunction with Eternity's wiki entry on codepointers should give you any info you need, anyway.

If you 

9 hours ago, EndHack said:

is there a way to make custom damage attacks in DeHackEd I just started using it and have little knowledge 

If you absolutely must use vanilla DOOM, then this will teach you all about DeHackEd and its limitations.

Else use GZDoom in software renderer (I assume you are averse to eyecandy) and DECORATE to create new actors.

sorry for not specifying but thanks for the answers they are helpful

I was trying to remake the Chainsaw guy from realm667 and I was trying to make it boom compatible 

Edited by EndHack