Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Wife

T-shirt

Hello all!  I am an intruder...with a question.  My husband has, or had maybe, a black tshirt that he won by beating an arcade game either a bit before or a bit after we met.  I remember that it was black, and he was super proud of having it.  He wore it until it was falling off of him.  I'm not sure if he finally got rid of it, but I haven't seen it in years.  It SEEMS like it was Doom...but I'm not positive.  Does this sound familiar to anyone?  Would have been sometime near 2000, within a few years.

DOOM was not an arcade game and came out in December of 93. DOOM 3 was released in 2003 and again not an arcade game. No idea what it could be.

ah, the good ol' "signed up to make one post" member! welcome. 

yeah, Doom was never an arcade game. we've got literally a zillion ports of Doom (hell, we've got it working on lamps and thermostats), but never an arcade cabinet. There was one featured in a movie but it was just a prop, never an actual functional arcade game. 

That being said, why haven't we had a Doom arcade cabinet? I feel like it being the 90's, it still would've gone it over huge if an arcade version was released. I guess it was the time when we decided it probably wasn't a good idea to put super gory games in arcades... I'm not 100% sure of the video game climate back in the '90's, but I've gotten the vibe that games like Doom had moms clutching their pearls. But that is another conversation for another day.
do you have a pic of him wearing the shirt, since he wore it so much? maybe we could help ID what game it was.

3 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

ah, the good ol' "signed up to make one post" member!

Hey! I'm new around here and I feel offended by that statement!

On a different note, that shootout scene with the Doom 2 cabinet was the bomb!
The soundtrack was good too.

Edited by Blind Joe Death

Just now, Blind Joe Death said:

Hey! I'm new around here and I feel offended by that statement!

On a different note, that shootout scene with the DooM 2 cabinet was the bomb!

just a fun poke, 'tis all. welcome to you as well! :D
it would seem we all come to this place just to ask a question and go, and then we end up staying forever. I literally came here to ask one question, too. aaaand... ended up staying 5 years. it's been great! :3

i've never seen that movie, but I think I'm going to now!

On 11/13/2018 at 12:30 AM, Major Arlene said:

just a fun poke, 'tis all. welcome to you as well! :D
it would seem we all come to this place just to ask a question and go, and then we end up staying forever. I literally came here to ask one question, too. aaaand... ended up staying 5 years. it's been great! :3

i've never seen that movie, but I think I'm going to now!

For me it was a staple of the VHS rental era. I wish I still had it so you could borrow it, but it's probably on Netflix or something.

As for the actual topic, I've never heard of an arcade game with a prize t-shirt. I remember Atari gave out iron-on patches for high scores, but not t-shirts, and definitely not around y2k. Maybe you could ask him what the game was? It seems he would remember it given how fond he was of the shirt.

Edited by Blind Joe Death

Oh dang it!!  Lol. I saw one on a Google search and it seemed familiar, just not enough to be sure.  Yep, I signed up for one bloody question!  I'd rather not, but!  Eh, mothers clutch their pearls over everything!  It's crazy.  And I'm a mom!  I don't think I do have a picture.  He hates having his picture taken.  I think I will have to ask.  I'll just have to decide if I can do so without being weird.  There was a very vague thought of a gift there.  Mostly because I have a feeling attempting to replace it is a fool's errand.  

Thank you all SO MUCH!!!  This might be abhorrent, being on a site about a gory, gory, clutch-your-pearls game, but... 💕

Only tangentially related but my folks got me a Doom3 shirt when it first came out, plain black with nothing but a print of the D3 logo on the front. This thread reminded me of that shirt for the first time in ages, I’m gonna have to hop on eBay or something and see if I can’t replace it..

Ok, just so I don't leave you all dying to know...  The game was War Final Assult.  And he still has the thing, kept in a plastic bag "for preservation".  

Doomkid, good luck!!

Thank you Pegleg!

I found the same site, but not both pictures!  That is it, for sure!  Once I saw it, I was sure.  It looks like it's a rare thing for anyone to post pics.  Seems so odd, but it was before the days of snapping your toast before eating it, so maybe not.  

Thank you again for your help, and for being so welcoming!!