Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plusw

[CL-11] [V1.0] U N W E L C O M E: Episode 1

Yeah this is fantastic. Refreshingly distanced from modern fast-food doom, while keeping a foot in the water wrt intuitive spidery layouts and marquee encounter setups. I like the midi, an interesting mix of ambient/idm-ish and cheesy pop/rock, rather unique. Some fly-by comments:

m01: no comment, as I played this one previously

m02: a classic gimmick, if it worked in zelda it can work in doom ;D. I wish there were more puzzles centered around it actually

m03: I swear I've played this before but I can't recall where. the lift puzzle is another classic. possible bugs: your TLITE texture is a bit off grid, and you can grab the keys without raising its opposite.

m04: rather brutal. I like unapologetic chaingunner turrets. the last area here was the first time I kinda didn't like how washed-out and dark the palette is. I guess the point here was that it's super dark and you can't see certain enemies, but I didn't find that particularly fun and kinda threw my run away at that point.

m05: I like the amount of environmental detail that exists just because "why would it not?", nooks and crannies that don't serve progression purposes but bolster the feeling that you're moving around an established world of some sort. The repeatable bar lowering section can be cheesed if you activate fights sequentially (see demo)

m06: hey it's a sandbox! a rather nice scatter-gather progression. I like how once you find most of the #s you can deduce the last couple without having to exhaustively explore everything. great map.

m07: hurray symmetrical slaughter arenas. resource allocation seemed weird on this one. you get hella plasma before picking up any weapons for it, and all the health is front-loaded? Towards the last couple of sections I had a glut of ammo but damn near no health ;D

m08: weird map. kinda spammy, really easy, tons of surplus resources (though I left the map with just over half the enemies killed so it's possible I missed lots of stuff). The main building looks pretty cool though. I find it funny how you give the player the option to immediately waste 18 shells by picking up the opening ammo all at once.

here are some demos (fdas + fdas w/ saves in the latter maps):

unwelcome_fda_rbk.zip

Thank you for the demos and feedback! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Health and ammo balancing is likely to change in the final release.

(Also, I posted map03 as a speedmap independently from UNWELCOME but later decided to use it. So you quite possibly did play it before.)

Hey, this is really cool so far. The one issue I ran into is a fairly big one: the lines that trigger the exit in map 01 (the ones around the outside of the eyeball icon on the ground) are marked as Walk Over Once instead of Walk Over Repeatable, so I had already triggered all of them and wasn't able to exit.

Edit: Looks like map 07 has the same issue, though luckily I found a line I hadn't walked over yet. You may want to check them in all maps.

Edited by Not Jabba

Damn. I was aware of this issue and thought I fixed all instances of it. Definitely getting fixed for the final release. thank you!

Updated to RC2. Fixed a few issues mentioned in the thread. Hopefully this will be the final release version.

This is awesome! I've played four maps so far, and loved the atmosphere! Hopefully I'll have everything recorded later today or tomorrow!

Was busy around thanksgiving but finally got a chance to make the final adjustments and put out a 1.0 release! Thank you for all of your feedback, it was a fun journey creating this and I hope to do an episode 2 someday soon.

It is good mapset with original puzzles and feel. Thanks for making it, the difficulty was just my cup of tea. It was cool to see some mapset which explores lore behind fireblu texture :-)

A fantastic mapset with the kind of gameplay you don't see every day. The color theme is A+ and I loved the gimmicks. Don't think there was a single map that stuck out as annoying.

Great job!

Gave it a signal boost on my Twitter page :)