Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

What are your least favorite Duke Nukem 3D levels?

There are so many awesome Duke Nukem 3D levels, but there are also some that we just don't like. I'll start with mine. My least favorite levels for Duke Nukem 3D are E4M1, E4M10, and E4M11. What are yours?

The levels I like the least in dn3d are lunatic fringe, Rabid Transit, and Pigsty honestly.

10 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

There are so many awesome Duke Nukem 3D levels, but there are also some that we just don't like. I'll start with mine. My least favorite levels for Duke Nukem 3D are E4M1, E4M10, and E4M11. What are yours?

I take it you do not actually really like Randy's level design at all or something.

2 minutes ago, MeetyourUnmaker said:

The levels I like the least in dn3d are lunatic fringe, Rabid Transit, and Pigsty honestly.

I take it you do not actually really like Randy's level design at all or something.

I don't like Randy at all. But, I think I've already made a topic long ago about how much I hate Randy. But this isn't that topic. This is a topic about least favorite Duke Nukem 3D levels.

The map that I personally don't like at all comes from the exclusive Plug & Pray episode of the PSX version, specifically...Nightmare Zone, the first map.

That map is, without a doubt, the worst and it's quite a long map that puts you into crazy mode...

There aren't any maps from the base game that I dislike.

That being said, I like nothing from the Duke It Out in DC expansion.

I used to think there were no bad levels in the game. E2L10 has aged poorly and E3L9 DM is nothing but mindless pistol shooting in one room.

Honestly I didn't like the second episode that much, even though it technically follows the roots of the previous games I really didn't think the space levels actually suited this game that much, I felt the game works best with the Earth city theme and various other Earth locations.

Edited by Avoozl

Half of the secret levels are disappointing and/or uninspired.
- Spin Cycle? Ugh, fairly unremarkable piece of general symmetry.
- Lunatic Fringe overlaps with itself to mess with my brain. Also, close-quarter Battlelord combats are supposed to be fun according to the author.
- Tier Drops is literally the two above combined. Complete with a stupid "if you found one, you found 'em all" secret setup of four.
- Faces of Death might qualify as well, but since it's non-accessible by legitimate means, I wouldn't rag on it here.

Aforementioned clichés might have been some sort of crazy-wacky when first introduced, but honestly, they aged terribly. The rest of the secret levels is still fun to play, though, at least for me. As for the basic levels?

- Lunar Reactor. That biatch chasm. THAT. BIATCH. CHASM.
- L.A. Rumble. As a child, it got me 95% the time. As an adult, I still have a really rough time playing it. Distant hitscans to boot, then a jeopardy stunt leap of faith towards the "huge red lady", while being fired at by Assault Commanders and targeted by Sentry Drones. Not cool.
- As much as I found both the track and setting cool for Rabid Transit, the madatory risk of getting hit by the trains TWICE makes me rage. Also, out of the blue Battlelord encounters.
- I believe It's Impossible, while certainly not living up to its name at its fullest, is still quite a bit difficult and/or convoluted to be the first level of an episode. Could this be trademarked as "Hell Beneath" syndrome? (With the obvious exception here, you wouldn't be hemmed by Battlelords upon opening a secret.)
- Layers of Dust Critical Mass - no backtracking options. I know it is a vital part for the level to appear pressuring/dreading, (pressuring having a literal meaning in this context, hehe) but come on, the music does that itself.
- The Queen - a huge river of extremely strong purple alien acid which dissolves you in a matter of seconds needs to be traversed ASAP. Right before the hardest underwater battle you'll ever have to endure. This is qualified as ridicule difficulty rivaling Nintendo Hard IMHO.

@NuMetalManiak I believe I became a bit cross-savvy over there. :D :D :D :D

Edited by Cell

I remember watching a DN3D let's play in one of the episode 2 maps where the player would just keep running circles around the map on fast-forward until he finally found a button he's supposed to press, which had a texture nearly indistinguishable from its surroundings. So I'd probably vote that one.

5 hours ago, Cell said:

- Layers of Dust - no backtracking options. I know it is a vital part for the level to appear pressuring/dreading, (pressuring having a literal meaning in this context, hehe) but come on, the music does that itself.

I think you mentioned the music track instead of the actual level there (Critical Mass) but I will agree because that level sucked. Worst of Episode 4 which is generally good.

On 11/14/2018 at 6:57 PM, Avoozl said:

Honestly I didn't like the second episode that much, even though it technically follows the roots of the previous games I really didn't think the space levels actually suited this game that much, I felt the game works best with the Earth city theme and various other Earth locations.

I'm gonna have to go with this as well. Episode 2 honestly was okay at the very best and rather annoying or boring at worst. There's tons of new stuff to get used to right from the first level even. None of these levels I would say are terrible terrible but none are really amazing at the same time.

Given how much diversity there is in Duke's locations, Episode 2 feels like you're going trough the same sub-Star Trek set piece over and over...

I dislike Derelict for some reason, it's just really weird to have such a map. Music is mehy too. Other than that, Warp Factor is really dull, though the secret is a nice touch. Lunar Reactor and Dark Side are forgettable but at least the music tracks are extreme.

My favourite epsisode on Duke Nukem 3D was Episode 2 but I dont like some earlier levels much. Episode 2 Level 10 is my favourite level in the entire game and it has the best soundtrack in the entire game.

My least favourite ones are Episode 4 Level 10, 11, Episode 1 Level 3, Episode 2 Level 5, Episode 3 Level 2, 5, 6.

I will echo how terrible episode 2 is. All of it. It felt like quite an insult to anyone who bought the full version of the game. Other than that everything is quite forgettable despite playing through the game several times across the decades.

To add something different to the conversation... over here on https://forums.duke4.net/topic/5710-your-duke3d-worst-episodelevel/

The Duke 3D fans have determined its a heavy tie between Lunar Apocalypse and the Birth.

Here's a thread from 15 years ago: https://forums.3drealms.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-13180.html

I can't say for Episode 5 (I don't own 20th Ann. World Tour) but my least favourite levels are Critcal Mass and Derelict.

Critical mass straight up scared me when I was a kid, the ceiling rapidly crushing downwards, the excessive explosions and enemies trying to fire at you, that map really freaked me out as a kid, not to mention the meltdown segment killed me a couple times.

Derelict I hate for being really large, really confusing and dull.

Only really played the first episode. From it, didn't like the canyon level. Too much the same rock stuff everywhere, don't know where to go there. Then played the second episode in coop once, but don't remember much of anything of it. My coop friend kind of went through the levels fast as he knew them better. Episode 3 tried just about the first two levels. No idea what's in the rest of the episodes.

I liked Blood and Shadow Warrior better, but haven't played them that much either to know what's my favourite or least favourite levels. Overall feeling from them is that they had more fun levels than Duke.