Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
yakfak

remove the "File reviews" panel

How about both?

I actually like reading some of the actual reviews (not those that are made of just 1-2 sentences), might find something nice to play that way every now and then (and maybe stuff to avoid too).

But a diary of recent releases would be pretty nice so I'm down for that.

Hmm, I like that part. It shows me underrated / interesting WADs from time to time. Maybe instead of latest reviews, how about just a „random WAD“ widget?

Or maybe add the possibility to scroll down the reviews so you can actually read all the reviews and not only the last six made (unless I miss something and this feature exist already)

Improving the discoverability of maps is a long term issue to solve, and probably not one Ling has much motivation to do until the site is properly in his control.  Until that happens we're going to have a stop-gap solution. 

Personally I'd like to see some kind of "big new release" list, possibly based on downloads over the last two weeks. Basically a way to reduce the chance of missing a big new release.

The reviews section on the front page would also be better if not cluttered with pointless 1-5 word reviews that ultimately state nothing without knowledge of the reviewer. Like how about telling us why something is crap so the lack of content doesn't spark more interest than the negativity of it dissuades.

Well, I would like to see 5 randomly generated map selections each day than negative reviews with one or three words. It would help discover unseen gems(and not) and reviews leave only inside the mapset page. 

43 minutes ago, Fonze said:

The reviews section on the front page would also be better if not cluttered with pointless 1-5 word reviews

People need to learn a thing or two about "oversaturation". Nobody needs to get told 3 times or more that something isn't good.

I think that it was always like that even in the old /idgames interface, but now it's also showcased the comment and not only the wad name and its rating so you also have to sit through the bullshit. The problem isn't the people who want to give bad reviews, the real problem is that now the files are hardly reviewed and the panel moves at an extremely slow pace thus giving us funny situation like the last chain of reviews of one particular wad. Maybe there could be the possibility to vote without having to write a review and don't show them on the panel so it can be less clogged with pointless reviews.

It's cool to have something that can potentially put on the spotlight some lesser known wads that someone can find interesting and it's something I wouldn't get rid off. The recent uploads are already showed on the new interface homepage, and the "hot" releases can be easily found on wads&mods.

10 hours ago, yakfak said:

Who gives a shit if a first-timer's WadEd-constructed chain of METAL1-wallpapered boxes had too much ammo in them? get some perspective you tedious bastards 

Well, you can argue that it shows that as usual average people have no taste :P

Also, this isn't related to this issue but I noticed few times that some terrywads popped on the last reviews, it seems that they aren't a special category anymore. Which is funny considered all the effort that was done to hide them on /idgames.

I do not think it has to be eliminated, it's a great implement, but if it's newer and better, I think something like it shows a bit more, and maybe a picture of the map

I feel like the file reviews panel might work if it's rechristened as "Recently Reviewed Files" and shows the average rating plus a description snippet rather than just the most recent review. This would eliminate the "look at me!" factor, at least.

'Course, unless by some miracle something exactly like this is already built into IPS, now we're talking "hey Linguica here's another thing to put on your six-trillion-mile-long to-do list." :P

i'm kinda torn about this because while it does occasionally suffer the problem of getting a lot of spam of basic and redundant reviews, at the same time it's on a few occasions tipped me off to hidden gems that i've overlooked in the past, when some old map suddenly gets a few good reviews on it. I dunno.

One or two horrible comments here, most notably the crude and unnecessary 'tedious bastards' one.  I've reviewed quite a few wads in this section, including a good many 1990s ones, and don't think I've ever done so with an eye to the 'look at me' factor.

If it weren't for reviews of questionable old wads i would probably never be inclined to look at them in the first place.

I'm not really a fan of user-generated reviews on any site, since the overwhelming majority of them tend to be 5 stars and "it sucks" or 1 star and "EPIC!!!!", which doesn't even make sense, but that's the way it is. People don't tend to put much effort into them, they're in a rush to say something about it real fast, even if that something is overly-simplistic and doesn't say a whole lot. There's the occasional well-written, well constructed review, but that doesn't happen often. 

A few in this thread said it introduced them to projects they previously overlooked, and I agree with that, but that's the only way in which file reviews are helpful. As reviews, they're useless, just as reviews on iTunes and Newgrounds are useless.

What Marc said. When I see a review that interests me for some reason, be it a positive or negative one, it usually leads to me checking out a wad I would have otherwise not known existed. If seeing several reviews in a row that say essentially the same thing is a bother, I’m not sure what to say - people can reach the same conclusions about a map and should not be expected to spend more time writing their review than the author spent on the map, in the case of entries that are wow.wad quality or below. There are already an anemic number of reviews given on an average day, this seems like a good way to remove what little activity we see on that front.

Keep the reviews. The authors that make good .wads deserve a shout out. Even the bad ones deserve a shout out as people wonder "how can it be that bad?" Then they play it. Then they get inspired to make something better as they can't do any worse.

As for old .wads, some of us still like the 1996 .wads that would be considered trash. A lot of the "better" ones still feel more Doom than the exquisitely detailed Doom levels of the Doom Builder era.

I'm with Agent6, we need both. A list of newest releases and list of newest reviews are two things we need and we got one of 'em.

Of course there‘s also customization; Make the file reviews opt-in/opt-out in the user profile options.

Mmm, I don't mind it in concept, though I do agree with what you're saying. I can't stand the "this old thing no one knows is bad, let me write twenty words max about it" type of review you see often. I don't know how one would enforce this aside from just removing said low-effort reviews, but a way to get people to compose more in-depth write-ups would be appreciated. Also, another thumbs up for the "recent releases" idea.

Doomworld officially spotlighted Good reviews coming soon

this isn't a joke suggestion it's just written like one

For the last couple of days, the reviews section has been a circlepoop headed by someone who posts acerbic stuff like this: 

Spoiler

Iai9veC.png

And also, by their own admission, seeks out bad wads in the first place, obviously just to pillory them: 

Spoiler

wBJplFL.png

Normally it isn't this bad, but it rarely is worth paying any attention to. I do appreciate people like NIH, Agent6, and Gallileo who put effort into their reviews, as well as those who manage to post pithier reviews that are informative in some way.

Anyway, have a poem: 

Too many Dead Simple monsters. 

Breaks [obscure gameplay mod].

Ten revs? Slaughterfest! 

Only beatable by a Doomgod.

Why do they upload this tripe 

to the file archive?
Crashes Doomsday on load,

zero out of five.