Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorFoley

Iwads no longer found on new PC

So i moved to a new PC today. Transferred both my GZdooms 1.6.0 and the latest version GZdoom for mods and i've run into a bit of an issue. Both GZdooms no longer detect any of the wads found in my steam folder (this includes ultimate doom, doom 2, final doom and heretic). Any idea why? Never had to edit the ini files or anything like that before, it just found them

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

This might sound stupid, but did you actually download the games on Steam?

When i suspected that i tried the uninstall reinstall method, didn't work unfortunately. Should have mentioned that in my OP

Perhaps it'll work if you go and manually collect the .wad file(s) from your steam installation and then copy them to the GZDoom folder.

The IWAD (named doom2.wad for Doom II, hexen.wad for Hexen, etc.) can be copied from <Steam directory>\SteamApps\Common\<game name>\base to a directory of your choosing and the source port files decompressed/copied there. Again, running the source port main executable should then start the game.

Source: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Steam

Did you actually install Steam or did you just copy it over?

Steam needs to be installed for the ports to be able to detect where it is from the registry, and the games need to be run for Steams own registry to be properly updated if need be. 

I just set the environment variable 'DOOMWADDIR' to point to a folder I have with every main WAD file. This mostly circumvents any issue with locating WAD files for good. This includes future releases of GZDoom.

Just ask the Google how to set environment variables.

My recommendation is back up your IWADs by emailing them to yourself and when you install a Doom engine on a new computer, download the IWADs you sent to yourself and move them into the same folder as the .exe file.

6 minutes ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

My recommendation is back up your IWADs by emailing them to yourself and when you install a Doom engine on a new computer, download the IWADs you sent to yourself and move them into the same folder as the .exe file.

I second backing up your WADS. Google Drive works for backup too.

15 hours ago, Edward850 said:

Did you actually install Steam or did you just copy it over?

Steam needs to be installed for the ports to be able to detect where it is from the registry, and the games need to be run for Steams own registry to be properly updated if need be. 

Installed steam before copying over anything from

steam apps. I don't think its that anyway because just to make sure i did delete doom and reinstalled it.

4 hours ago, mArt1And00m3r11339 said:

I know its a little childish because the files are so small but i don't want multiple copies of wads around my PC :) Stupid i know. I just don't get why its giving me problems now but didn't before on the older pc... I don't want to chalk it up to the fact it's windows 10 because that OS is have been giving me nothing but crap since day 1 thats its tempted me to go back to 7 with Ryzen drivers.

EDIT: ok something doesn't seem right here as a test i went to an older laptop i had with win 10 on it and installed steam. With both pc and laptop live and logged in it should be able to see games installed. On the laptop it says the games are NOT installed... Yet on the PC they are, i can even run them there in their steam dosbox versions... Yet the laptop shows no option to stream them from PC to laptop. Just installed the ultimate doom, GZdoom found it first try. Beats me whats going on...

EDIT 2: Ok i think i have figured out part of the issue but not the fix. I have 2 different steam library's, one my SSD for 2 or 3 games with the rest being on my HDD. The WADS are on my HDD's which for some reason aren't finding it. When i moved installation folder to steams install folder and default steam apps (which is on my SSD) GZdoom immediately finds them no issue. Moving them BACK to the steam library on the HDD and GZdoom no longer finds it. Makes no sense my old PC had this setup and it worked fine...

Edited by MajorFoley

My housekeeping method is to install each version of GZDoom into their own separate folder.

Then load all IWADS in a separate folder.

In the ini file(s) specify the path to the IWADS.

Doesn't Steam store the IWAD location in the Windows registry?

If so, you can run REGEDIT.EXE, and search for "Doom". That should reveal what folder the ports are looking in for the IWADs. You can change the registry entry to actually point to the proper folder, just be careful in the Registry Editor, cause if you mess things up, you might mess up Windows. Just be careful, and you'll be ok.

Sorry been a while guys its been a busy couple of months. Yeah my old PC did have the wads in the C drive so yeah i think GZdoom only looks in the steams default installation directory and not other libraries created. Doesn't really matter i guess they aren't that big. But thanks for suggestions guys and its probably something I'll do in the future anyway, just consolidate into one big folder.

If i gotta install gzdoom i can just overwrite files right from the latest version or am i better off with a new folder and deleting the older one (Backing up saves and options of course)

On 2/13/2019 at 6:17 PM, MajorFoley said:

If i gotta install gzdoom i can just overwrite files right from the latest version or am i better off with a new folder and deleting the older one (Backing up saves and options of course)

As far as I can tell, you don't actually 'install' GZDoom. I can't say as to how stable any saved games from an older version would be running in a newer version, as I generally just start fresh. It eliminates all doubt with compatibility and provides a good excuse to trek through hell again.

8 minutes ago, H3XM0D said:

As far as I can tell, you don't actually 'install' GZDoom. I can't say as to how stable any saved games from an older version would be running in a newer version, as I generally just start fresh. It eliminates all doubt with compatibility and provides a good excuse to trek through hell again.

If there's been a bump in the save version due to significant changes, GZDoom will warn you of the fact, and generally refuse to load them.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:11 AM, H3XM0D said:

True that :) But the only reason i use any newer GZdoom is for mods that require it, golden souls 2 etc.
Now i need to clean up my 1.6 folder that has a tonne of other folders that shouldn't be in there like 1.7 and 1.8 for some of the older mods... Least i won't have to keep the saves :)