Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Livo

Doom 3 music

Just a thought: if Trent Reznor wasn't doing the music for Doom 3, what person/group would you want to do it who you'd think would do the best job of creating fitting, atmospheric music?

Bobby Prince, Jeremiah Sypult (the guy who did the E1M8 mp3 recreation), the PSX/N64 music team, who?

No idea - someone who could do cool ambient music (weird sounds thrown loosely together like the Doom64 music or the Quake 1 music is NOT cool ambient music) as well as cool metal music.

I really hope there is going to be real melodies in the Doom3 soundtrack and not just ambient soundscaping.

Let the environment (broken, machines, ventilation, the screams of the dying, etc.) take care of the ambience.

I don't particularily mind Trent Reznor doing it as long as he doesn't repeat the bummer from Quake. He has shown himself capable of creating some real "Doomy" music. "Even Deeper" of the "Fragile" double album keeps reminding me of D_E1M2.

..Sorry I didn't take notice of the first post. Well, I don't know. Perhaps the guys who made the Descent soundtrack.

Bill Leeb. He did the music for quake 3 arena, and he could make the perfect industrial/hell soundtrack for DoomIII

Use3D said:

Bill Leeb. He did the music for quake 3 arena, and he could make the perfect industrial/hell soundtrack for DoomIII

Q3A's music is not very fitting for neither Doom nor Doom 3, so no.

You mean Bill Brown?

Nope, Bill Brown did the music for RtCW NOT Q3A.

I think Trent Reznor would be the best thing for doom3, its definately going to be a more subtle game then doom1; gonna rely on atmosphere and setting alot, so hence atmospheric music like quake would suit it amazingly....
I think the best thing would be trent reznor in collaboration with aphex twin and autechre...Someone mention aphex...:)

doomedout said:

I think Trent Reznor would be the best thing for doom3, its definately going to be a more subtle game then doom1; gonna rely on atmosphere and setting alot, so hence atmospheric music like quake would suit it amazingly....

Quake 1's soundtrack is possibly the worst excuse for a music soundtrack I have ever heard - I'll commit murder if we get something similar in Doom 3.
Like it already has been said: Leave the bulk of the ambience to the sound fx - Quake 1 style music is overkill for Doom 3's atmosphere (it was in Quake 1 and it did more harm than good imo).

Half Life more mature? i must have said it to piss ppl off but i did not mean it...but in a way yes its more mature...ever play counterstrike...the most addictive multiplayer game ever along with warcraft 3....
DAMMIt WHY DONT U GUYS LIKE QUAKE music? its the best music ever conceived for a game...
hear track 7 for Pete's sakes
or track 4...
viva NIN

Man u replied to my post almost immediately OMG...do u sit here all day or do u get little pop ups that inform u that someone has replied...either way i've never seen a more devoted moderator to any forum...:P
I dont mean that as a bad thing

doomedout said:

Man u replied to my post almost immediately OMG...do u sit here all day or do u get little pop ups that inform u that someone has replied...either way i've never seen a more devoted moderator to any forum...:P
I dont mean that as a bad thing

No, I just happened to be browsing the forums at the time - I'm not here all day.
And if you like Q1's music, then it's good for you, but the majority absolutely hate that music.

dsm said:

Q3A's music is not very fitting for neither Doom nor Doom 3, so no.

Perhaps not, but keep in mind that Bill Leeb is multitalented and has composed music across numerous genres and projects. From industrial to classical scores.

hmmm....doesn't matter who will compose or what kind of music will be in d3...music is mostly the first "feature" I switch off after the first few minutes of playing because the music gets very often on my nerves if it is repeating. have you ever took a walk thru dark corridors and listened to music while being chosen by weird scum from hell? - ok I hadn't to do this before...but just imagine....nah no music. no. no!
id better implement a lot of different ambient sound, screams, wind, crackling, computer sounds, doors, etc. if trent will do them it would be excellent.

uniQ said:

hmmm....doesn't matter who will compose or what kind of music will be in d3...music is mostly the first "feature" I switch off after the first few minutes of playing because the music gets very often on my nerves if it is repeating. have you ever took a walk thru dark corridors and listened to music while being chosen by weird scum from hell? - ok I hadn't to do this before...but just imagine....nah no music. no. no!

Well, to me, music is one large factor in determining how much I feel like playing a wad - the same goes for a game. Call me a moron if you like, but bad music in a game tends to turn me off and drastically reduce the joy I get from playing the game, even if the game itself is great. My choice of levels that I like to warp to and play very often depends on the music itself and by now it shouldn't surprise you that my favorite Doom level has one of my favorite music tracks in it too.

id better implement a lot of different ambient sound, screams, wind, crackling, computer sounds, doors, etc. if trent will do them it would be excellent.

I agree, Doom 3 should have lots of ambient sounds and so far, I'm very pleased with what I've heard in this respect.

who liked the music for doom ep1 LVL 5? that was amazing music, and moreover it would be awesome if we had music similar to the music sample found in projectdoom.com (the remix of ep1 last level)

dsm said:

And if you like Q1's music, then it's good for you, but the majority absolutely hate that music.

This must have come from the book 'What Everyone Thinks' by dsm. Hate to break it to you, but knowing Reznor's stale take on music of any kind, this is what we're going to be hearing in the new Doom.

Use3D said:

This must have come from the book 'What Everyone Thinks' by dsm. Hate to break it to you, but knowing Reznor's stale take on music of any kind, this is what we're going to be hearing in the new Doom.

ExCUSE me, but this topic has been discussed to death several times before and in all cases about 60% hated Q1's music ... or so it seemed. Pardon me oh so much for making observations.