Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chipchase

Where to get FluidR3_GM.sf2 ?

Several wads I have tried to play lately have refused to start because I do not have a file called "FluidR3_GM.sf2", which I believe is a collection of music sounds; I show the error messages below. This is in PRBoom (not +) under Linux.  I do have a file /usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2 which I suppose is some different tone of music.

Putting "-nomusic" on the command line does not get round the problem, nor does "-file  /usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2"

Where can I find and download a copy of FluidR3_GM.sf2 ?  Googling, I found people talking about it (and some alternatives) but nowhere to download it.

One of the wads that demanded it, and refused to start without, was wow.wad - yet music plays fine in most other wads. Why do we need these different versions of music tones anyway? Sorry I know nothing about music, nor do I care much. I just want to play wads.

fluidsynth: error: Unable to open file "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2"
fluidsynth: error: Couldn't load soundfont file
fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2"
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.
fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2"

55 minutes ago, Chipchase said:

Several wads I have tried to play lately have refused to start because I do not have a file called "FluidR3_GM.sf2", which I believe is a collection of music sounds; I show the error messages below. This is in PRBoom (not +) under Linux.  I do have a file /usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2 which I suppose is some different tone of music.

Putting "-nomusic" on the command line does not get round the problem, nor does "-file  /usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2"

Where can I find and download a copy of FluidR3_GM.sf2 ?  Googling, I found people talking about it (and some alternatives) but nowhere to download it.

One of the wads that demanded it, and refused to start without, was wow.wad - yet music plays fine in most other wads. Why do we need these different versions of music tones anyway? Sorry I know nothing about music, nor do I care much. I just want to play wads.

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.

The first link on this search page https://duckduckgo.com/?q=fluidR3_GM.sf2&t=vivaldi&ia=web might be the file you want. 

This site appears to have it, but compressed as an sfark file: http://www.synthfont.com/soundfonts.html so you'd have to decompress it to become an sf2 file.  

A compressed sfpack version (smaller download; can be uncompressed with SFPack) is available here:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TbLOvr6GwqrxteWH8RD7Z7Q7t8q-vsIe

I will point out that it doesn't make sense for a WAD to refuse to run just because the user doesn't have a certain GM soundfont...something else must be wrong there, as the soundfont has absolutely nothing to do with the WADs and will have no affect on gameplay--all a soundfont does is replace the General MIDI tones used when playing MIDI music on a computer, which is not always desirable, especially if the MIDIs were not specifically balanced for that particular soundfont.

14 hours ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

I will point out that it doesn't make sense for a WAD to refuse to run just because the user doesn't have a certain GM soundfont...

Thanks for the links guys, I found and installed the file.  However as you said, it was not the lack of the file that stopped wow.wad from loading : it was because I had made the elementary mistake of not realising it was a Doom (ie Doom "1") wad.  As I had been playing Doom II wads I had omitted to point to the right iwad, ie doom.wad.

11 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Creating thread for simple question instead of using google or duckduckgo.com...

If you read my original post again you will see that I did use Google. What it led me to was a load of music based sites that frustratingly did not give any link to this file, even though I saw it mentioned once or twice. I had also searched here on Doomworld itself without success. As it seems to be much used in Doom, I thought someone here could point me to a download and they kindly did.

I had already spent nearly an hour searching via Google, including downloading and unzipping packages, before I put the question here. Googling is only a means to an end, and not always an effective one, not an end in itself.