Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

how do i get quake to run at a smooth 30 fps in combat on my sucky Eee PC in dosbox while singing the wumbo song doing a...

what dosbox settings do i use? can anyone tell me what cputype option i need and core type? i have 2G of ram, DirectX 11, an intel atom processor, chip type is intel GMA 950, total memory of 256 MB, and DAC type internal. what do i set the options in dosbox to?

2 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

what dosbox settings do i use? can anyone tell me what cputype option i need and core type?

Set core type to "dynamic" and cycles to "max".  CPU type should be fine left on default.  Turn off any extra "high quality" filter methods in the rendering (they take more processing power and are garbage anyway).  You will have to experiment yourself between using directx/opengl/software rendering for the DOSBox screen setting and see what seems to work best.  You might also have to experiment with what balance you pick between the resolution you have Quake itself render at, and what resolution you have DOSBox itself resize that to.  Ideally screen stretching is something you delegate to your monitor but if you have to do it in software I suspect it's generally faster if you set Quake to a low resolution and have DOSBox scale that up.

But,

4 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

i have 2G of ram, DirectX 11, an intel atom processor, chip type is intel GMA 950, total memory of 256 MB, and DAC type internal.

Those are worse specs than my system so I can't guarantee you'll ever get it acceptable.

If you what you really want is a "chocolate" type of port instead of using DOSBox, you might like TyrQuake, it's fairly old now but also one of the more "pure" implementations as I recall.

The atom processors are underpowered enough (especially the one in the EEEPC) that I wouldn't bother trying to run it in DOSbox. Use a Quake source port and it will probably run acceptably.