Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

How do you deal with a bad day?

I've had sort of a bad day, mostly due to a semi-public meltdown I had at school - that's as much detail as I'm willing to go into - so you can think of this thread as me venting to an extent.

On point, I rarely have bad days, but whenever I do have them, it's hard for me to recover. At least as long as I'm still awake. If, by some turn of events, my day gets filled with negative feelings, I tend to turn towards alcohol in order to alleviate those feelings - which I do acknowledge isn't necessarily the best idea. (I figure it's worth noting at this point that I am a responsible drinker.) But the truth is that in such cases, alcohol provides a sense of comfort that even the company of friends fails to provide for me.

Next to intoxicating beverages, two other methods I commonly utilize to deal with a shitty day are playing music (esp. the drums) and, quite simply, sleeping it off.

How about you? How do you deal with a bad day?

Go for a walk. Exercise, burn off that anger or frustration. Sleep helps too. Seriously. Sure you can't go to sleep if you're upset, but it will help.

I play Doom, or I'll jam out on guitar for an hour or two.

My job got hit with a nasty ransomware attack a few weeks ago, so I have been playing System Shock 2 again for the 100th time. I put in long, strenuous work weeks to get us back on our feet, so I was completely burned out. That game is like a cure to anything. It's absurdly fun and interesting to play. There's always something to do, and it kept my mind off of shit.

I tend not to have bad days like FractalBeast said. Bad moments certainly happen tho. If I'm having a bad time I'll play some FPS and shoot the hell outta some demons or read a book or watch a film. Try not to think about it too much and get on with things.

Video games and trying to channel my frustrating by doing something more productive.

If none of that works I just listen to something with a more aggressive attitude or something more atmospheric to carry me away from the misery, then return to dealing with the root cause, unless it sorts itself out in some way before I get to it (events that don't necessarily depend on my actions for instance).

I endure it and ensure it can't happen again. If you are having bad days regularly time to find the cause and how easy it is to remove from your life. 

Well, living in a bad country like me always give bad days

Better get walking and doing stupid stuff with friends and play videogames or talk with people to forget some problems that will cause mental issues is we try to comprend why we are suffering.

I walk my dog, play DooM and maybe listen to some audiobooks. I find distraction is key with getting over a bad day as thinking about the day just makes me feel worse.  

Sometimes going for a long walk helps get things in perspective. I remember one time at a chess tournament after a particularly embarrassingly stupid loss, I walked from Åkirkeby to Årsballe and back. If nothing else, after all those miles my aching legs and knees were a bigger concern than wounded pride, and I was able to joke about it with some of the other players over a few beers.

Exercise does it for me. Endorphins release that tension like nothing else. Booze was my go to for a time. But it can create problems if it's your only stress response mechanism. 

Introspection and identifying the root cause of your meltdown might be beneficial. What can be done differently in the future when you are met with such stressors can be of benefit. If you are ever in a professional setting where your career is on the line, being able to remain calm will go a long way. 

If people know how to push your buttons, they will play you like a fiddle for their own benefit and amusement. 

A cigarette a beer and my music at volume 11. I consider it a bad day when it drains my fucks down to zero.

Music, a long walk and a slap-up meal in nice surroundings at the end of it. A pint with the food is optional, even better if I can look out the window and watch the world go by as I eat.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:05 AM, geo said:

Go for a walk. Exercise, burn off that anger or frustration.

Pretty much this. You owe it to yourself to exercise every time you can. I don't know how bad of a day you had @MFG38, but I can tell you that I've had a bad year, and getting up early every morning to run is what has kept me going. I can't vouch for alcohol since I don't drink, but it doesn't seem like a solution to a problem. Playing the drums after a bad day seems like a way better solution.

If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

15 hours ago, Space Boss said:

If you ever need to talk, I'm here.

I appreciate the offer, but I've been a lot better this past week.

I usually decide to distract myself by surfing da 'Net on my phone, playing games on my laptop, browsing cute animu gals, consume sweet stuff, or even sleep sometimes.

Strangely enough, standing up and taking a deep breath helps. Slowly exhale and count to 10. Then start thinking calm thoughts or doing something you find relaxing. Music, gaming, reading etc.

Sometimes you either consciously or subconsciously don't want to calm down for whatever reason. Forcing myself to do the above has worked so far.

Edited by Chezza

Well, I'll always be a redneck kid at heart.  When something pisses me off, I'll take an object I don't care about anymore and take it out to my favorite shooting spot and then blast the shit out of it with my shotgun.  The noise and the smell of burnt nitrocellulose is soothing.