Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Captain Red

doom oddities

I'm trying to put together a complete list of doom oddities. i.e. bugs, strange futures, ect. Anything you could add would be most helpful. These apply to the default doom.exe/doom2.exe with the latest patches. Things like Ghosts, not being able to walk under/over sprites ect.

Well, how 'bout the blind sarge in doom2.wad map 02....you know, the one through the doorway just in front of the begining.

On E3M5, after you've gotten the BFG, noclip into one of the traps, stand in front of the teleporting linedef and press Use. This will totally screw up the look of the map, as floors move down to new places!

And of course there's the soulless pain elementals in map 09.

Ultimate DooMer said:

And of course there's the soulless pain elementals in map 09.

This isn't unique to MAP09. There's a 21 lost soul limit (yes 21, not 20 like BOOM says) with respect to pain elemental LS belching. Once there's 21, spawned by them or at level start, they will not spit any more until there's less than 21.

Little Faith said:

Doom2 map11 is called "Circle of Death" on the intermission screen but "O of Destruction" on the automap.

Similarly, E3M7 of Ultimate Doom is referred to as "Gate to Limbo" on the intermission screen but as just "Limbo" on the map.

Quasar said:

This isn't unique to MAP09. There's a 21 lost soul limit (yes 21, not 20 like BOOM says) with respect to pain elemental LS belching. Once there's 21, spawned by them or at level start, they will not spit any more until there's less than 21.

I don't think that limit applies to Legacy though, cos IIRC I got tons and tons of lost souls spawning on one of DSV4's later levels. (with fast monsters)

The fact that the "Ouch" face only appears when you take damage but gain a lot of health must rank as pretty odd. Here's a link if you want details:
http://rome.ro/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000017

BTW, the lost soul limit is put to interesting use in Hell Revealed Map19.
Legacy and Zdoom "fix" this "bug", and AFAIK there is no way to reenable it, so the start of this map (and any others using the same idea) doesn't play as intended in either port.

Edit: the latest version of Zdoom (or at least the one from mid-September) has the lost soul limit (and other things too) as a compatibility option. Bravo!

The "ouch" face also appears if you start the level in pain state (if you start the level in an acid pool for example).

The effect is seen in map13 of Memento Mori.

Here's some for you (feel free to correct any details I got wrong or add technical info that I may have missed):

Voodoo dolls. If there's more than one Player 1 Start, the extras become passive replicas of the player. If a replica is killed, the real player also dies.
A crappy little level that showcases this effect can be downloaded here (for Doom 1):
ftp://3darchives.in-span.net/pub/idgames/levels/doom/s-u/selfdead.zip

Also, tutti-frutti is kinda weird. It's those colorful confetti-like pixels that appear when an odd-sized (not divisible by 64 IIRC) texture doesn't tile properly.

Monsters can aim perfectly at any distance, but the player's autoaim range is finite. Probably not really a bug, but it is odd (and sometimes annoying) none the less.

Wallrunning. If you run against a wall just the right way, you can gain a huge speed boost. I guess it has to do with some oversight in the code that makes the walls "solid".

If the number of sprites visible is greater than a certain limit (64 IIRC) then some of them will flicker out. This is most likely an "intentional bug" to prevent overload on the system speeds that were the norm when Doom came out.

Sometimes corpses that fall right on an edge slide around in bizarre ways that defy normal laws of physics.

With a dehacked patch, you can make a projectile that does so much damage it will kill even if you're using IDDQD.

Also, if you dehack a monster to use an explosive weapon (i.e. rockets) and it gets hit by the splash damage of its attack, it will infight with its attacker (itself), thus commiting suicide. This is probably one of the reasons Cyberdemons are immune to splash damage.

Only monsters firing "projectile"-style weapons (fireballs, missiles, etc.) aim perfectly at any range.

A Spider Mastermind becomes completely harmless at extreme ranges, but is still relatively easy to hit with rockets or plasma bolts because it is so damn big. (You too can't use bullet weapons at those ranges).

Try Memento Mori map30 for an example.

Remembered another one:

Silent BFG. If your player makes the "mmph" sound of pressing on a wall or falling just as he fires the BFG, the BFG firing sound will not be heard.

(And Little Faith, you do realize that I was referring to vertical up/down aiming right?)

I find harder fighting a mancubus or arachnotron after grabbing an invisibility sphere. It seems that they guess where you strafe :). Frankly, i think invisibility bonus only works well on bullet-firing monsters (masterminds, troopers, sargeants and chaingunners).

Cya!

Sometimes, when firing a lead-slinger or hand weapon at a demon/spectre, the shot passes straight through it. If a lead-slinger was used, the shot hits the monster behind it, if there is one. (annoying, especially when chainsawing/berserking)

Note that this only happens in a certain place on the monster's body. (somewhere to the right of centre, but not too far right)

NokturnuS said:

Frankly, i think invisibility bonus only works well on bullet-firing monsters...

I agree. Once you get used to the doom engine, and the various monster attacks, you can spot when a fireball throwing monster is going to do his stuff and you can get out of the way in plenty of time. When you have the blur sphere, as often as not you tend to dodge into the path of the fireball.

I remembered yet another one.

Lost Souls don't count towards your kill rating. I have no idea whether this is by intent or oversight. It may have to do with the pain elemental spawning them, but the Lost Souls were in Doom 1 also, so that only fits if Id had planned to make the pain elemental from the start (which afaik, they didn't).

Little Faith said:

Try Memento Mori map30 for an example.

Just played that last week. Fun level. I spent the most time playing with with the masterminds. Some of the monster in-fight battles i had goin were excellent.

here's a meager oddity i noticed back in my dos-doom days, Arch vile can attack any monster he wants and they won't fight back, but he can be killed by his own splash damage.

Use3D said:

Just played that last week. Fun level. I spent the most time playing with with the masterminds. Some of the monster in-fight battles i had goin were excellent.

here's a meager oddity i noticed back in my dos-doom days, Arch vile can attack any monster he wants and they won't fight back, but he can be killed by his own splash damage.

I think that can happen in many ports too. Apparantly the fire thing is considered the "source of damage" rather than the arch-vile itself in respect to triggering infighting. This can be abused to kill cyberdemons and masterminds if you are very patient. It's of no real use against other creatures as they get resurrected.

If you watch an LMP movie in DOOM II that spans more than 1 sky you only see the sky the LMP started with.

If you die and fall you make the oof sound when you hit the ground.

Mancubus fireballs can go through the edges of walls from certain angles.

Key/item grabs: slam into walls to get items beyond them.

Fast doors make a double closing sound...

There's more quirks, these are some that came to mind and aren't on the thread.

Also, it's easy to find many of these by looking at the DOOM compatibility options in mbf, prboom or eternity.

myk said:

If you die and fall you make the oof sound when you hit the ground.

Hehe, it occurs in Quake 3: Arena also. After many years and they still could not fix that bug, yet.

-If you put negative damage to a projectile, and if you are hited by it, at least in vanilla DOOM the screen change the pallete, until you get hurted a bit, or win the level, or pick a beserk pack (this only work until the red effect disapear).

-This isn't really an odditie, you can make a coward monster by giving him negative speed.

-E3M8 is easier on Nighmare skill than in UV

-The Yellow key bug on Evilition map 31 (I can't understand how they missed it).

-If a barrel is crushed, it warps into a bit of bones and blood.

-The Express Elavator to Hell from Master Levels, is unplayable on deathmatch

myk said:

Key/item grabs: slam into walls to get items beyond them.

yeh...like in e4m1....you can get the red key from ouside the fence, so you don't have to deal with the baron inside

Quast said:

yeh...like in e4m1....you can get the red key from ouside the fence, so you don't have to deal with the baron inside

Actually, no - that trick is different, and quite unusual. Slamming yourself into the bars on E4M1 (even with SR50) doesn't work; you have to push yourself hard up against the bars and rub yourself gently along them. Here's a link:
http://ural2.hszk.bme.hu/~ha211/compet-n/index.cgi?action=nostalg&page=e4m1
This same idea also works to grab the RL on E2M2 of 2002ADO, but I can't think of any other instances myself. Standard grabs (slamming) are far more common.

Talking of "slamming" keygrabs, I thought of a new "you know you've been playing Doom too long when..." line:
You know you've been playing Doom too long when your idea of a perfect bank robbery is to run diagonally into the outside wall of the vault.

Pain Elementals will sometimes put a lost soul through a wall.

There's one map in Doom 2 where you don't need all the keys to exit, even though it appears you are supposed to. The Citadel, I think (forgot the map number).

I saw a dehacked patch that gave the demon a lost soul type charging attack. When I shot the demon in mid-charge, it started bouncing up and down crazily.

I seem to recall in one of the TNT Evilution maps, (forgot the name and number) there were two red skullkeys. One of them was in a big upside-down cross where you couldn't reach it, and the other was hidden. If you pick up the hidden one, and then go back to the big cross, you will discover that the key there is gone also. (If I hallucinated this whole bit, or if it's a trick of the map rather than the game's programming, please tell me. I am pretty sure it really happened though.)

The Wolfenstein Nazis always appear to face towards you when firing, even if they are aiming somewhere else. Freaky, but it is true to Wolfenstein (except that in the real Wolfenstein, Nazis do not infight so you never had to worry about them shooting at anyone else).

I saw a weird lmp of a trick on Doom 2 MAP07. It involved respawning mosters, and when the trigger monsters were all killed a second time after respawing, the step that allows you to reach the exit raises even higher.

Hope you enjoy these, I'll come back if I remember yet more. ^_^

Quast said:

Also applies to Dwango5 Map01 the way of grabbing the BFG.