Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JustDerekTheSquirrel

Hey, can someone tell that words The Jaws Of Defeat is saying backwords?

Recommended Posts

The Doom Wiki says:

Quote

The Freedoom equivalent of the DSBOSSIT sound is a reversed and pitch-shifted recording of Freedoom contributor Fredrik Johansson saying "My name is Fredrik Johansson. I come from Sweden".

This is true for older versions but the sound seems to have been replaced in newer versions. I tried to reverse it and change the pitch, but it's still a bit warped and I'm not a good enough sound editor to do any better than this.

All I can make out is something like ""You should ___, ____ onwards, the reckoning." Then again I could be totally wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

The Doom Wiki says:

This is true for older versions but the sound seems to have been replaced in newer versions. I tried to reverse it and change the pitch, but it's still a bit warped and I'm not a good enough sound editor to do any better than this.

All I can make out is something like ""You should ___, ____ onwards, the reckoning." Then again I could be totally wrong.

Very interesting, thx for your thoughts. :D

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/26/2018 at 8:08 PM, TheMightyHeracross said:

All I can make out is something like ""You should ___, ____ onwards, the reckoning." Then again I could be totally wrong.

Sounds like "You should read, ____ onwards, the reckoning". Unfortunately, that's the only word I can make out, can't understand the rest. What version is this in anyways? I still hear Fredrik's message in 0.11.3 which seems to be the latest.

Share this post


Link to post

When I learned about the jaws of defeats speech, I remember hearing it say "Love leaves oh yon yo, und shoo, and yes, and Yan yo"

I think that was Fredrik's message spelled in reverse

Share this post


Link to post

You should be past no animals - the Reckoning??

Share this post


Link to post

How about "You should read 'Wash your Animals' - The Reckoning"? - Heh. Frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post

"You should read" "Watch your N words" "The Reckoning" ?

 

I feel it's telling you to be good cos the reckoning is coming.

Edited by Ferk

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, TheMightyHeracross said:

The Doom Wiki says:

This is true for older versions but the sound seems to have been replaced in newer versions. I tried to reverse it and change the pitch, but it's still a bit warped and I'm not a good enough sound editor to do any better than this.

All I can make out is something like ""You should ___, ____ onwards, the reckoning." Then again I could be totally wrong.

Can I ask you two things on that? Anyone else can ask me on this but one, what version might have changed the sound to the current one? (since all available old builds do not use a different one)
And two, do you have (if anyone does as well too I guess) the original sound file for the boss encounter sound? I might try to decrypt it myself for the sake of everyone being confused over the 2nd part of a dead easter egg.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Starman the Blaziken said:

what version might have changed the sound to the current one? (since all available old builds do not use a different one)

This seems to be the pull request on Github that added it: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/463

I left a comment asking about it.

 

1 hour ago, Starman the Blaziken said:

do you have (if anyone does as well too I guess) the original sound file for the boss encounter sound?

If by original you mean the distorted version that's being used, you can download it from here:

   https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/f49c6070de8646a188f5b2e61ddfc7e1982b55df/sounds/dsbossit.wav

If you meant the actual original recording... I think it's pretty obvious nobody that has answered in this thread has it.

Edited by Ferk

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Ferk said:

This seems to be the pull request on Github that added it: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/463

I left a comment asking about it.

 

If by original you mean the distorted version that's being used, you can download it from here:

   https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/f49c6070de8646a188f5b2e61ddfc7e1982b55df/sounds/dsbossit.wav

If you meant the actual original recording... I think it's pretty obvious nobody that has answered in this thread has it.

I mean the original as in the one before it was changed to what is used today, that is what I am talking about by the "Dead easter egg"
Well dead as in no longer talked about...

Edited by Starman the Blaziken

Share this post


Link to post

If you mean the original recording of the current sound before it was reversed and edited, like I mentioned before, I think he obviously doesn't have it, otherwise why would have he tried to reconstruct it from the current sound?

 

If anyone has the original is Elon Satoshi.. but since he made the recording you might as well just ask what's the actual sentence he used. Which is what I did in the PR.

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, Ferk said:

If you mean the original recording of the current sound before it was reversed and edited, like I mentioned before, I think he obviously doesn't have it, otherwise why would have he tried to reconstruct it from the current sound?

 

If anyone has the original is Elon Satoshi.. but since he made the recording you might as well just ask what's the actual sentence he used. Which is what I did in the PR.

Eh, nevermind, I goofed and thought that the one that has been used for so long was the one used in the test builds but I was wrong on that. >.>

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:53 AM, Ferk said:

This seems to be the pull request on Github that added it: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/pull/463

I left a comment asking about it.

 

If by original you mean the distorted version that's being used, you can download it from here:

   https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/blob/f49c6070de8646a188f5b2e61ddfc7e1982b55df/sounds/dsbossit.wav

If you meant the actual original recording... I think it's pretty obvious nobody that has answered in this thread has it.

I checked the GitHub comment section, and it seems that they never answered yet, who knows if they even know their is a comment there...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×