Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
meapineapple

Nanopineapple 2018: Megawad in 1 Month

Just gave the first two maps a very quick try on UV. 

Map01 - It was ok for a start, kinda reminded me to Hellbound just for all the brown textures. As for critiques, one would be to modify a bit the teleporting ambushes so they could work faster, like in the RK wing each monster teleported individually and it took a while to stop spawning things. I often found lost enemies in the wings that I've already explored before, not sure how they got in there. Got 1 of 3 secrets.

Map02 - It's been said and done that lost souls are ammo sponges and annoyances, and thus I believe it's hard to use this monster in interesting ways. I think this map could be described as "lost soul hell" or any funnier name, and there aren't many out there, so bonus points for the idea. On a first try, I run out of resources, but on a second try, ammo was just enough with a bit of infighting and controlling the pain elementals in time. With everything dead, the four hell knights at the exit room didn't add anything special, I can think of a couple teleporting outside behind the player would be better imo. Also spotted this misaligned texture. Got the only secret!.

1 hour ago, meapineapple said:

logo.png.f3adf4d63af7e60ac6da6ffc91806884.png

This image would be a cool TITLEPIC. Anyway, will definitely play this more seriously one day, congrats on the release (: 

Awesome! Congrats for the release, meapineapple!

I've given a quick play and ended playing so far 5 maps. The monster placement ended being not much my tastes, so I ended rushing map 2 onwards (wherein map 1 I killed every enemy). There's nothing wrong with it, though, I just prefer something slower paced. Still, the maps were quite solid and fun to play! It reminded me a bit of Doom 404 but more arena-centered style, also being a lot harder and with more experimental ideas.

Edited by Deadwing

I agree with galileo31dos01, that nano pineapple emoji would make the perfect M_SKULL for this project.

I did a Google image search for Nano Pineapple and came up with these two (apparently there is a Pineapple Nano wifi adapter and such a thing as a small pineapple plant that grows a single small pineapple):

image.png.058a1239e6f9a7dfcd2dd8231a47716c.png (cropped from this picture)

image.png.958bc69221afe12929a33532a0620416.png (cropped from here, the cover of the WiFi Pineapple field guide by Darren Kitchen)

I don't know how either of these would palletize or would cause problems if used.

I just added a newer version of Nanopineapple to the original post. (Version 18.11.28) Most notably, it adds deathmatch starts and pickups to 11 maps, and it completely overhauls MAP26 which was probably the lowest quality map of the set in the first release. I will probably be spending a little time tomorrow and Friday making more small improvements, as well.

Also, it adds a TITLEPIC...

Spoiler

possible-titlepic.png.767a8529dd6f60caf3f7dfcc670b6146.png

Also, for your viewing pleasure, here's before and after shots of the MAP26 automap:

Spoiler

Before -

1050447855_map27automap.png.051a71a4f7cf36a83fb8b2c23cdad820.png

After -

596219206_map26automap18_11_28.png.f475cf0b7fb167c9c8d0c93139cd9193.png

@HAK3180

@Obsidian

Edited by meapineapple

I've updated the original post with the most recent and likely final version of Nanopineapple 2018. (Version 18.11.30) It adds a total of TEN more secrets across several maps, adds builtin demos, and slightly tones down the very vicious start of one of the later maps. (But only slightly.)

Wow, has this month been an adventure! Getting 32 maps finished in so short a time has been seriously intense.

@HAK3180 fyi

Just started the second version. Using GZDoom. Enjoying it so far. Don't know if you've fixed it, but I don't see where this was mentioned.

mHV168x.png

I'm guessing I was running or holed up somewhere instead of shooting, so the first row never moved off their teleport landing spots to let the rest come in. I'm also guessing the second teleport linedef is meant to loop them or teleport them to some alternate spot. Don't know if you're missing sector tags or encountered a rare Doom bug - if two monsters hit the same teleport linedef at exactly the same instant (lined up with the same x or y vertices), neither one will teleport. Only saw it in a game once years ago where two Revenants were running parallel in a rectangular closet that was only wide enough for the two of them.

1 hour ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

if two monsters hit the same teleport linedef at exactly the same instant (lined up with the same x or y vertices), neither one will teleport

Hm, I haven't personally had this happen while testing but I'll fiddle with the linedefs a bit in case. Thanks for letting me know.

edit: I can't reproduce this particular behavior in the map with either PrBoom+ or Zandronum; perhaps it only applies to teleport-to-sector actions, whereas this is a teleport-to-linedef action? I did, however, find another issue that may have been responsible for what you saw. (Namely, some incorrect linedef tags.) I've added version 18.11.30b to the original post, which should hopefully fix this particular problem. @EffinghamHuffnagel Would you try doing the same thing in the new version and verify that it is in fact fixed for you?

edit2: I just re-uploaded that version because of an oversight when I first added it, so if you downloaded in the last 30 minutes... please redownload.

Edited by meapineapple

10 hours ago, meapineapple said:

Would you try doing the same thing in the new version and verify that it is in fact fixed for you?

Yep, that did it. I turned on iddt and could see the monsters looping until their landing spots were free. 

Speaking of looping, just finished MAP11. One of the Chaingunners didn't teleport in. I clipped to see why. He had gotten past his teleport linedef somehow (landing spot probably blocked, don't know by what), and was trying to walk back towards it but couldn't because the floor was scrolling too fast. Don't know how rare an occurrence that is, but maybe teleport loops there, too?

BTW, really diggin' the music.  Videogame, classical, movies. Great choices!

Speaking of looping, just finished MAP11. One of the Chaingunners didn't teleport in.

Dang it, I guess with so many teleport closets across the WAD (literally hundreds?) a few of them were bound to have issues. There shouldn't even be a conveyor in those closets. This seems minor enough not to need a version all of its own, but please let me know if you run into other issues! I suppose I'll have to release a fix version sometime, though I hoped to find all the issues before December.

BTW, really diggin' the music.  Videogame, classical, movies. Great choices!

I went with my gut and tbh I wasn't sure if players would like it or hate how all over the place the music is. This is really great to hear!

Still playing.

-------
MAP14
-------
Potions in second secret are all tagged Easy/Medium. Secret is completely empty on Hard.

-------
MAP15
-------
If you take the secret path into the eastern room, you're stuck. The normal entrance can only be opened by a W1 from the outside.

-------
MAP32
-------
You reduced the SSWolf height to 48, but you have Chaingunners in the closets, too. They're still 56 units high. They block the landing spot when they pop in.

I've updated the original post to include a new release (Version 18.12.04). This version is 100% bugfixes and difficulty tweaks, a little bit for UV but mainly for easy and medium difficulties. It removes two possible softlocks, one in MAP15 and another in MAP25, and fixes other issues on MAP14 (missing items in secret on UV) and MAP32 (monster height oopsie).

@EffinghamHuffnagel please definitely let me know of any other issues you run into so that I can fix them as well!

Callout to @Ryath for playtesting help, which helped me find more map issues. Thank you!

@HAK3180 fyi

Still playing same version.

-------
MAP21
-------
Music wouldn't play. I could play it in Slade, but not in GZDoom. Kept changing Midi devices in Sound Options. Nothing. Also tried it in an old version of ZDoom. Same. So I exported the midi, opened it in Anvil Studio, saved it and imported it back into the wad. It was 6Kb smaller but played fine. I've had midis only play once and not loop, but never just not play at all. Weirdest thing.

-------
MAP26
-------
Missing textures, lines 1461 and 1540, one in each of the last two Imp cages on the path to the exit.

-------
MAP27
-------
The Imp closet just SW of the linedef tag 1 switch does not have a sector tag to lower its wall.

Edit: That's all of it. The only thing I didn't mention is secrets, because they're not bugs. Secrets are subjective to an author's style. Some give obvious hints, some give subtle hints, some give very subtle hints, others give no hints. Yours are in the last three categories. I noticed subtle wall depressions and mis-aligned textures, most very subtle blank walls where there was a door on the opposite wall, but there were a bunch of times I had to use iddt before exiting to find things. I swear, if there was a hint there to a hidden door or dropping wall, I couldn't see it. The linedefs were even tagged as secret on the automap. If they'd all been like that, it would have been really frustrating. As it was, it was just enough to be slightly annoying. Otherwise, for a 'map-a-day' megawad, outstanding work.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

Played the rest on HNTR - Map06 broke me.  I respect the handling of difficulty settings here, especially during the time frame this was built.  The only map I didn't beat was 31 but my final attempt felt kinda satisfying.

fda dump (watch at your own discretion): noisy_pnano4_0_the_rest.zip

From the nanowad thread, the map layouts looked simple at first, but there's a surprising amount of theme variation from map to map.  Besides that, there's the usual things, like your clumps of sergents.

Map25 was my favorite, I think, as I generally like that style of map.

I remember a HOM of map26 or 27 or something.

thanks for the maps.

@NoisyVelvet Thank you for playing! I'm looking forward to watching your demos. What difficulty were you playing on before Map06?

I've updated the original post with another release of Nanopineapple (Version 18.12.12). This update is filled with fixes and balance tweaks. Kudos especially to @joe-ilya who streamed the whole WAD in one five-hour sitting and whose playthrough showed me a whole list of things to improve!

I'm performing a small experiment: This new version is the first time I've released one of my WADs as CC0 (public domain), something I've been thinking about doing for a while. Depending on the reception of releasing this WAD as CC0, I am considering releasing my future WADs and retroactively re-releasing all of my past work as CC0 also. (Or possibly CC BY 3.0?) What are your thoughts? Would you ever release your own maps or mods as public domain? Have you done it before?

16 hours ago, meapineapple said:

@NoisyVelvet Thank you for playing! I'm looking forward to watching your demos. What difficulty were you playing on before Map06?

everything not labeled is UV by default.  so everything up to map06 is UV.

edit: they also might have been on the version before it too.

@NoisyVelvet Wow, I finally found time to watch all of the demos! Thank you very much for playing and for sharing. Your MAP25 demo was one of the more enjoyable to watch, I thought that I could tell that you were having fun with it. I really lost my shit in MAP02 where you saw a secret and immediately ran for it, and then immediately died. This is why I make maps. I was sad that you didn't play through MAP31, but it can definitely be frustrating running low on ammo before you find a good route through the map. And I don't want to be harsh on the cool person who recorded awesome demos of all my maps, but dang bro. You gotta git gud. These aren't the easiest maps but you really made it difficult on yourself at times.

PSA I am hoping to make one more, perhaps finally really final release before the end of the month. I have a TODO list almost 60 items long! Everything from making HNTR less hard on some more vicious maps, to making a couple ceilings less horribly flat and plain, to fixing one MIDI that's playing way too quietly even though I thought I had fixed it before. Stay tuned!

Happy New Year @meapineapple

Here my best run on this megawad.

(And some runs in my playlist on Youtube-channel)

Edited by MAN_WITH_GUN