Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cpl. Slaughter

Having trouble with slopes

Hey everyone, I'm having an issue with trying to do slopes in doom builder 2. There's a youtube tutorial by a guy named chubzdoomer who made a tutorial on how to do slopes and I follow it to the letter and still can't get the surface I'm working on to slope properly. It stays level no matter what i do. I even watched the tutorial several times over to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm currently modding in zdoom (doom in hexen format) and using doom 2 to test the maps with. Any idea what's going on?

Select the pivot line, give it action 181, align it with either front or back and Robert's yer father's brother.  It will need a sector to slope up or down to however, you can't slope a sector part way up a solid wall, it can only meet with the level of a neighbouring sector.  Don't forget to press tab key either, this toggles advanced rendering on or off

On 11/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, dt_ said:

... and Robert's yer father's brother

Heh.

On 11/28/2018 at 4:25 PM, dt_ said:

...you can't slope a sector part way up a solid wall ...

Unless you use slope things.

@Cpl. Slaughter: Post what you have done, and we can tell you what you might need to do differently.

On 11/28/2018 at 1:25 PM, dt_ said:

..., you can't slope a sector part way up a solid wall, it can only meet with the level of a neighbouring sector....

PIkP8Z2.png

but as Rex mentioned, upload your map

As for the map, there's nothing to see really. I've done just a basic square room with a pit in the center, with a ramp that leads up from the pit, to just get the hang of doing slopes. This program will not let me do it.

40 minutes ago, Cpl. Slaughter said:

As for the map, there's nothing to see really. I've done just a basic square room with a pit in the center, with a ramp that leads up from the pit, to just get the hang of doing slopes. This program will not let me do it.

Presuming you're editing in UDMF, the absolute most basic way to do slopes is right click a sector to Edit it, hit the "Slopes/Portal" tab, and just type in an angle, height and slope.

image.png.a1770535a3153c4c379348f042edaf42.png

It's harder to perfectly align these slopes with other floors though, so people tend to use either Plane_Align or Vertex Dragging (Dragonfly has a nice tutorial on Vertex slopes)

4 hours ago, Cpl. Slaughter said:

I can't for the life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. I do everything that the tutorials tell me and doombuilder just won't do it at all.

Just out of curiosity ...

You did enable GZDoom Visual Mode in F6 Modes

ytRIRir.png

and set a hotkey for it in F5 - Controls - Modes?

JAX0Hhk.png

Edited by Kappes Buur

15 hours ago, Cpl. Slaughter said:

doombuilder just won't do it at all.

Can you elaborate more on what this means?  How far through the process are you managing to get?

7 hours ago, Cpl. Slaughter said:

Kappes, I'd love to be able to do the slope stuff that you're doing. 

It's not that difficult.

Here is a video how I constructed the slopes.

Mind you though, I used GZDoom Builder = Bugfix.

11 hours ago, Cpl. Slaughter said:

I'll check gzdoom builder out. How hard is it to pick up in relation to doom builder 2? Is the program pretty user friendly?

Since GZDoom Builder-Bugfix is a continuation of GZDoom Builder which is a continuation of Doombuilder2,

the usage of those editors is identical, with the newer editors having more features added.

Spoiler

DhtFzqg.png

Edited by Kappes Buur