Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Russell_P

'Wads of Wads' CD from 1994

Sweet, this is one of those discs I knew existed (since it was mentioned on a CD index page) but wasn't sure if I'd ever hear of a surviving copy.

Yeah, a picture of the CD/any surviving packaging would also be great.

Sadly i don't have the packaging anymore, it was most likely thrown away when I moved most of my CD's into cd wallets years ago. But it was identical to the image in my original post.

Here's a scan (200dpi) of the disc, although my scanner isn't great.

wowcd.png

Wow, I've heard about these things since I was a kid, but never once In my 27 years of existence have I actually seen a Doom wad disk, I'm surprised to be honest because I though stuff like this was only done on floppy disks until the 2000's.

16 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Wow, I've heard about these things since I was a kid, but never once In my 27 years of existence have I actually seen a Doom wad disk, I'm surprised to be honest because I though stuff like this was only done on floppy disks until the 2000's.

I used to see D!ZONE discs in the software section of my local entertainment store back when I was a young teenager, but I could never buy one.  I had no idea at the time that there were places online where you could just download maps for free, or that the stuff you could find online was 1000x better than what was on those discs, lol.  (I am 35 so you probably just missed them by a couple of years.)

@Russell_P Cool, thanks for the disc picture.

Would you be interested in contributing this to the archive.org Doom level CD collection too? (Or having me submit it for you if you want?)

10 minutes ago, wolfmcbeard said:

Nah, there are a lot of different CD compilations out there particularly for Doom stuff (other popular games have some as well).  Floppy ones were probably the less common option, unless you mean swapping floppies between friends rather than making a commercial product out of it.  I've got like 30+ different ones in my collection just for Doom-related ones and I know there are still a lot of other ones I don't have (like the one in this thread).

@guitardz probably didn't help that I didn't have a PC of my own until I was sixteen (yes, I did fall for the "delete System32 to speed up your computer" joke withing a month of getting it.), we never had a family pc before that, only played Doom once back in 99 on a computer that belonged to a friend of my mom.
Ironically, the only time I've seen a software disk was when I reinstalled Vista after breaking it.
These days, I've got a stack of hardware and software disks that go to things I don't have any more, including an old Sonic disk from 98 i think.

Hate to say this to the bloke in the chair, but if a Cyberdemon is that close...

1. You're not shooting it until it dies, and
  2. You're not going to get to try to shoot it for much longer.

I remember Sgt. Shivers actually did up a sprite of the Wads of Wads guy a long time ago, I really want a mod at this point where you roll around the map in an office chair with an assault rifle.

6 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

I remember Sgt. Shivers actually did up a sprite of the Wads of Wads guy a long time ago, I really want a mod at this point where you roll around the map in an office chair with an assault rifle.

I seem to remember someone having that as their avatar...

10 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

Stairs quickly become a bigger bane to your existence than any demon.

I see that there is a LMP section in there that might be of some historical interest. Judging from the number of files alone, it must have some demos that aren't included in the "The DOOM Hall of Fame: Collectors Edition", which has a similar vintage. From their date-stamps, most of the demos must be 1.2 format, which Prboom+ can attempt to play back, with a good degree of success. (I have only tested a few of them though.)

On 12/1/2018 at 2:32 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

@Russell_P

Would you be interested in contributing this to the archive.org Doom level CD collection too? (Or having me submit it for you if you want?)

Feel free to submit this wherever you want.

I'm glad people found this stuff interesting/useful.

Thanks so much, this is one hilarious collection (mainly for the cover and the interesting Doom name petition) so I'm glad to see it's been preserved.

Hey @ETTiNGRiNDER, if it isn't too much of a pain in the ass, would you mid adding this to the archive.org page for Wads of Wads?

tumblr_pml3thJ1V71tp2r9i_640.jpg

Wow! Really glad to see this somewhere where we can grab a copy. I always love exploring old CDs like this one, and I'm pulling down a copy as I write this. Another great addition to my collection of Doom stuff. If it's not any trouble, could you image this to ISO or BIN/CUE when you have a few minutes? Raw image dumps are even better for historical archiving. Either way, thanks for this interesting addition :)

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

would you mid adding this to the archive.org page for Wads of Wads?

Yes, CRUG ALERT deserves to be preserved for posterity.

I am slightly disappointed, however, that they didn't go with CDRUG, though. I mean, look at this cover artwork and the logo, and tell me, honestly, that you don't CDRUG use?

On 4/13/2022 at 2:30 PM, Doomkid said:

Hey @ETTiNGRiNDER, if it isn't too much of a pain in the ass, would you mid adding this to the archive.org page for Wads of Wads?

Done, thanks.  It seems like Archive's being ornery about showing both images as a gallery like it usually does, but I got the new one to show as the front cover at least.

This may unfortunately break the torrent download option as Archive torrents are infamous for refusing to complete the last few percent and if I recall correctly one of the reasons is that it doesn't update them when the files are updated.  Let me know if this is the case and I'll try to figure out if there's anything I can prod to get it to re-generate the torrent.