Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pschroeter

What is the name for when monsters won’t cross a line in a map?

I’ve seen doors they refuse to come through and seen it happen out in the open on flat and relatively flat surfaces. This is not the same error I’ve read about where they get stuck in doors while tracking you to shoot,  I can stand in front of the door and open it and they will walk side to side and refuse to come through like there is an invisible barrier.

I've seen this before and recently played the Karma Sutra megawad where this happened a lot. It was so stuffed with monsters I was happy to have the help of the invisible force fields.

6 minutes ago, pschroeter said:

Block Monsters

In an editor you can tag a line to be impassible by monsters, but let other things through.

59 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Block Monsters

In an editor you can tag a line to be impassible by monsters, but let other things through.

I remember when I started mapping and mistook that as literal Block monsters. Stay down demons, there's a new foe in town, the evil sectors!

5 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Block Monsters

So are you saying this is being done on purpose?

3 hours ago, pschroeter said:

So are you saying this is being done on purpose?

Yes, there are a lot of other block line actions as well.  Block sound, Block projectiles, etc.

1 hour ago, guitardz said:

Yes, there are a lot of other block line actions as well.  Block sound, Block projectiles, etc.

@pschroeter

FYI.

• Block monsters is a vanilla tag. Monsters will not cross a line marked to block monsters.
  • Block sound is also a vanilla tag. It refers to sound not alerting monsters. Sound is only blocked from reaching monsters when there are two consecutive block sound lines in every path between you and the monster.
  • Block projectiles is a tag that is for more advanced ports (I think it started at ZDoom).
  • Block everything is also for more advanced ports (and does what the name implies).

2 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

• Block projectiles is a tag that is for more advanced ports (I think it started at ZDoom).
  • Block everything is also for more advanced ports (and does what the name implies).

Nice to know.  I've personally only mapped in UDMF, but plan to branch out to Boom as well in the near future.