Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terrcraft

I'm very concerned about doom eternal regarding the fallout 76 fiasco

Even though I think it will be good I will wait for reviews to come out to get it

Thoughts?

I know but even if the game itself is good and worried that it'll be Peppered with false advertising and if you haven't heard about that here are some things about it.

Edited by terrcraftguy695 : Spelling and rewording

^^^ this.

Bethesda's owned studios like Arcane, Machine Games and id Software have a solid track record, and Bethesda seem to do a good job at being a publisher.  Doom 2016 was pretty damn good and all indications are Eternal will be no worse.

Bethesda Game Studious, a separate developer, continuing their track record of making open-world games held together by duck-tape is little indication Doom Eternal will suddenly turn out bad.

4 hours ago, Bauul said:

^^^ this.

Bethesda's owned studios like Arcane, Machine Games and id Software have a solid track record, and Bethesda seem to do a good job at being a publisher.  Doom 2016 was pretty damn good and all indications are Eternal will be no worse.

Bethesda Game Studious, a separate developer, continuing their track record of making open-world games held together by duck-tape is little indication Doom Eternal will suddenly turn out bad.

Yeah, I don’t know why anybody’d have doubt in ID at this point. I would understand any wariness if Doom 2016 was bug-riddled or otherwise mediocre, but if they were as bad as BGS is now, we’d have seen the warning signs from miles away.

Bethesda doesn't really care about the quality of games they put out (F76 and Brink prove that, they only care about the "quality" when they have some ulterior motive like with Prey2) so basically whether the game is good or not, bugged or polished is almost entirely dependant on the dev team.

9 hours ago, RileyXY1 said:

This game is not going to be like Fallout 76.

Nuff said, Bethesda is only publishing the game, they're not involved in its development.

F76 was a completely different story since the game itself was flawed afaik. On top of Bethesda.net issues but those were problems with the platform...

Why do some people still not understand the difference between Bethesda the publisher and Bethesda the development studio?

as already mentioned the game's being developed by id Software, not Bethesda, and considering how good the first game was you needn't worry.

So a game with the same publisher, but in a different genre and by a different developer will be crap because bags included in the pricey collector's edition of Fallout 76 were of lesser quality than expected?

Well, make sure not to buy the $200 version of Doom Eternal if it features a bag as a goodie, then.

Honestly i don't understand why you are concerned. We already have best Doom games + infinite number of mods and levelpacks. Besides Eternal looks just like expansion to Doom 2016 IMO.

If you are to worry, it'd have to be about the parts that are under the purview of Bethesda Softworks (the publishing arm). That'd be stuff like the release date setup (will they do something like a staggered release, since those are all the rage now, where significant bonuses or in-game content are locked behind pre-ordering?), the contents and quality of materials used in any special editions (like the infamous nylon bag), and possibly, any push they might be exerting on id Software to find means to monetize the Doom series with microtransactions (will things like the Doom 2016 player armor, demon types, etc end up having to be bought rather than unlocked through gameplay?).

While we've been given zero indications that we should worry about this stuff with respect to Eternal itself, they are unfortunately the overwhelming trends in AAA game publishing at the moment and it'd almost be amazing if we don't see steps in that direction versus what we got in 2016.

staggered release absolutely killed battlefield 5 (did you know that BF5 was released at all?), so while i have no hope in beth not doing something absolutely fucking stupid in publishing, I sure hope they don't do that. I really can't put any faith in bethesda anymore though, what a shame.

Fallout 76 was a quick cash grab. Bethesda Studios clearly did not spend 3 years working on the game. It's even notably lower quality and glitchier for a Bethesda game. Most assets are recycled from Fallout 4 so I believe the most effort went into a new map, monsters and hammering multiplayer onto it.

Doom Eternal demonstrated sufficient gameplay to give us a good idea what to expect and due to the previous release the expectation is further cemented. But yeah, it's reasonable to be suspicious of their DLC and potential pre-order bonuses.

In saying that Doom 2016s special edition kicked ass.

The difference is, Fallout 76 is made by a con artist (aka Todd Howard), DOOM Eternal isn't.

I think a good example of how much Id is confident in their games vs Bethesda Game Studios is that game journalists and convention-goers were already able to play a pre-release demo of RAGE 2 at E3, and that game won't be out until some unknown date in the spring. With Fallout 76, no such people were able to get a hands-on with that trash until about a month before release. I know RAGE 2 is a single-player game and Fallout 76 is some kind of pseudo-MMO, but still.

Edited by chemo

It is really starting to annoy me that Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks decided to keep 'Bethesda' in both of their names when the two companies split however many years ago, as any stupid things done independently by one company is going to bleed over into the other's reputation.

All the evidence I've seen points the blame for Fallout 76's disastrous dumpster fire of a launch to really poor decisions made at Bethesda Game Studios. As far as I can tell, Bethesda Softworks' first-party studios enjoy a fair amount of autonomy and are more or less able to pursue their own interests without interference. BGS isn't being forced to use the Creation Engine by Bethesda Softworks, the development team at BGS just doesn't want to invest in creating or adapting a new engine despite the fact that not doing so is so moronic that it's hard to comprehend. I kind of wish that Bethesda Softworks would intervene a little more on the game engine side of things, wouldn't it be great if Starfield or The Elder Scrolls VI ran on a fork of idTech? I'd personally love to see that happen, unlikely as that seems now.

If the stupid shit from Fallout 76 was Bethesda Softworks' doing, I would expect that Dishonoured 2, Prey and Doom (2016) would have suffered from similar problems as well. Seeing as they didn't (I've happily played all of those games), I don't think there is cause for concern that Fallout 76's problems will in some way have a negative affect on Doom: Eternal.

4 hours ago, Chezza said:

Doom 2016s special edition kicked ass.

That is the only thing I've ever preordered and I have zero regrets.

4 hours ago, Chezza said:

Fallout 76 was a quick cash grab. Bethesda Studios clearly did not spend 3 years working on the game.

They didn't spend any time. Because it's the Austin branch that worked on it, not the, you know, Bethesda (well, Rockville) branch.  They were known as Battlecry before being bought and rebranded. They were given access to the Fallout 4 assets and code and tasked with making a multiplayer game out of it, basically.

And yes, it's a cash grab as well as a way to have something to release while the main studio works on Starfield. Bethesda clearly aims to multiply their spinoffs to occupy the time between real releases of their main series.

Splash damage made brink btw. Bethesdas core studio isnt working on 76 either. Cant remember the teams name working on it, its the same guys who were working on that team based fps that got cancled.

Go home Todd, you're drunk. 

There might be some dot net launcher crap. But I don't think as a publisher Bethesda will contractually force ID to do crazy developer suicide shit like turn Doom Eternal into Fortnite Royale and scrap the single player campaign. 

6 hours ago, Skeletonpatch said:

It is really starting to annoy me that Bethesda Game Studios and Bethesda Softworks decided to keep 'Bethesda' in both of their names when the two companies split however many years ago, as any stupid things done independently by one company is going to bleed over into the other's reputation.

In fairness, there's not really that much of a split between the two companies.  They're based in the same building, have the same executives, and the work staff freely move between the two.  It's more two departments of the same organisation.   It just seems they're a hell of a lot better at being a Publisher than they are a Developer these days.

At this point, you have five Bethesda. Bethesda Softworks (the publisher) and Bethesda Game Studios (the developers) are based in Rockville. Then you have BGS Austin (formerly Battlecry Studios); BGS Dallas (formerly Escalation Studios), and BGS Montreal (the only one created by Bethesda instead of bought and rebranded). Note that BGS Austin and BGS Dallas both worked on parts of Doom 2016, under their original names: Battlecry made some of the post-release multiplayer content, and Escalation worked on SnapMap. Escalation also worked previously on Doom Resurrection (the iPhone rail shooter with Doom 3 graphics) and Rage (id's not-very-successful attempt at creating a new franchise besides Doom, Quake and Wolfenstein).

Me too, because I don't wanna see Doom Eternal as "game service" with co-op and lootboxes.

This is fucking dumb lads.

FO76 isn't even a game. It's a techdemo for multiplayer modes in upcoming Bethesda games. You think Bethesda gives a shit about the Battle Royale fanboys? Of course they don't care, just like they don't care about FO76. They're testing out new components for Gamebryo on fucking idiots, that's what FO76 is.