Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alowe

MEGAWAD - Eye of Doom

Title: Eye of Doom - MegaWAD

Port: ZDoom
Tested with: Zdoom 2.8.1
Requires: DOOM2.WAD
MAPS: MAP01 - MAP24 (then game ends, i.e. doesn't go to map 25)

Players: Single player only
Theme: Dungeon crawl, puzzle
Difficulty settings: No
Difficulty: Starts at beginner from MAP01 and ramps up to needing to save later on (around MAP12), then returns to beginner (MAP13) and ramps up to needing to save again (up to MAP24).
This is because it's a merger of two wads that had 12 maps each.

Developed with: Doom Builder 2 (2.1.2.1553), Wad Mangle 2 by Ian Cowburn
Build time: 2 months

Screenshots:

sVdEH8v.png

nJBrHHy.png

hye5kR3.png

Description:

This is a 24 level PWAD inspired by the Amiga version of Eye of the Beholder
and Eye of the Beholder 2, both of which are dungeon crawls. As such expect
plenty of close quarter attacks, pitfalls, and puzzles. The level layouts are
kinda 8-bit, which is totally intentional. The main focus is gameplay, not eye
candy. Developed and tested with ZDoom. All that is required is the Doom 2 WAD
for this PWAD to work. No other music, gfx or other resources have been added.
Good luck completing it. About 5 hours gameplay. All difficulty settings are
the same.

As long as your port parses the ZMAPINFO lump, it should work exactly as
intended. If in doubt, just try it.

File:

EODMEGA.ZIP - 6MB

The music is used in the same order as for DOOM2, so for the 12 MAP wads uses music from MAP01 to MAP12, but for the 24 MAP MegaWAD uses music from MAP01 to MAP24 (i.e. D_RUNNIN to D_THEDA3).

Edited by alowe : Updated WAD link

Wow, two of my favorite old things in the same package? I'm in.

Actually, I'm more a Dungeon Crawler than a Doomer, in fact. I'll briefly pause my Labyrinth of Refrain playthrough to check this out. Maybe it'll work well with Heretical or GMOTA.

Urgh, must has tested this a hundred times but after a rerun of MAP01 to MAP12 have found a few things that needed fixing. Have re-uploaded and updated the link in the OP.

As a side note, if anyone is struggling to find the hidden areas, you can refer to the original EOB maps, if you can find them online, that is :o)

Most secrets should show up on the automap, if you're paying attention.

Fixes:
(fixes will only be reflected in EODMEGA.ZIP for now)

MAP03
In the area known as "The Museum", hid a load of traps that shouldn't be visible from the automap.

MAP04
In the area where the Backpack is, lowered the floors of the hidden ammo to prevent them being visible from some angles.
Made one of the doors leading to the portal openable from both sides (was just one side before).
Removed two stray vertices that were doing nothing.

MAP12
Added block monster to an existing linedef to make it easier.
Note, this map is meant to be hard as it was the last map of EOD.WAD before it was merged. To complete it you may have to plan a strategy that conserves certain ammo types for the final fight.

Todo:

MAP07
There's a design flaw in the area with the 3 way choice between 3 powerups that needs to be rethought. It's possible to collect all three when it should only be possible to collect one. If it's done the unintended way this causes some minor HOMs.

One of the portals is missing a 255 brightness for the surface sector.

One quick note about the first level, its possible to get into the door that is supposed to autoclose in front of you by running at full pelt, and when you do, you can't get out again without no-clip. As I'd apparently completely forgotten most of the first level, I spent ages trying to progress on it, which led me to this accidently.

One quick note about the first level, its possible to get into the door that is supposed to autoclose in front of you by running at full pelt, and when you do, you can't get out again without no-clip. As I'd apparently completely forgotten most of the first level, I spent ages trying to progress on it, which led me to this accidently.

Yes, and that's probably what will break the whole mod, because of the bloody hard to find secret switches. Of course, I know where they all are because I put them there (usually exactly where they are in the old game). And that would have set you free from that closed area (from two possible exits).

I may have to edit all of them to make them more obvious. But I wanted to keep the genuinely secret nature of secret switches too.

Example: A bloody hard to see hidden switch.

Bloody-Hard-To-See-Switch.png

And the only way I can think people might find these when trapped is if they check the automap:

Automap-Example.png

If this breaks the experience I am willing to edit these secret switches to make them more obvious. Will see what people say. I'm easy either way.

Lol, this is turning into a collaboration :o)

Edit:

Woot! Made a video for the first time and it works!

If anyone knows a way to get better quality, please let me know. Using OBS on an old laptop without a gfx card, so options are software only.

Edited by alowe

MAP07

Fixed previously mentioned design flaw in which it was possible to get all three powerups when it was only intended you can get one. Now you're forced to choose which one to get and which other two to sacrifice.

MAP08

Fixed one of the portals that was too dark on it's surface.

That's all the bugs I could find so far in maps 01 to 12 which are all the maps of EOD 1 (the first half of the megawad).

If there are any further bugs, it's up to players to find them. At some point I will do another complete test of maps 13 to 24, but it's better to leave it a while so I forget how they're done and are more likely to play in an unintended style.

The Google Drive link has been changed to a directory, so that it stays the same even after updates are made.

I'll add another video continuing from MAP01, hopefully with better quality.

And here it is:

Just ignore the black screen after 12:54. I forgot to stop recording.

I tried to improve the quality but OBS crashed and then got a BSOD. So, for now, this is what there is. The few green flashes are when OBS runs out of juice to record, so you know it's at the computer's limit.

If you find the maze confuses you, then that's what it's supposed to do. But it's actually quite small.

Edited by alowe