Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Who is your favorite character from any 90's FPS game?

Freeman, it's always the quiet ones. Doomguy, the face he makes when he picks up a new weapon is me looking at coffee. Turok from...well, Turok...he kills a weird evil mantis guy in the squeal.

6 hours ago, yakfak said:

blackbird :3 she has some good lines

As much as I love Blackbird...

...I'm going with Caleb from Blood. I say why in my HG101 review of the franchise:

Caleb stands out from [the FPS hero] flock like a wolf in a hen house: he is a force of evil, a mean, maniacal, murderous bastard who laughs and sings Frank Sinatra tunes while blasting people to bloody giblets, out to avenge himself and maybe his equally crazy live-in girlfriend. Saving the world from the Cabal’s malignant presence is merely a byproduct of his killing spree. In Blood, you’re probably the evilest dude in the game: nobody else is setting people on fire with hairspray flamethrowers, tossing dynamite on unsuspecting people like confetti, or torturing hapless victims with a voodoo doll. And it’s totally refreshing, especially since you know your victims deserve it. It’s impossible not to fall in love with Caleb, mostly thanks to the snide and gravelly voice provided by Stephan Weyte as he sings, cackles, and quips his way from one level to the next, in a more maniacal and mean-spirited manner than his Build Engine peers.

Gotta be Duke for me. He’s such a great over-the-top musclebound action hero stereotype, it flirts perfectly with that line between extreme cheese and genuine coolness. I like characters that aren’t meant to be super serious boring stoic fucks.

I would say Doom guy but I will go with Caleb. The anti-hero who's sadistic but loudly screams in pain when hurt. I love his lines.

Gordon, Caleb, Doomguy, and Duke.

Nah, can't pick only one, although I can say I prefer the dark humour, anti-heroic and self-centered, cynical persona of Caleb, I can tell that much, he's probably the most fitting and representative character for me out of all.

"Victims... aren't we all?"

I can't decide between Duke,Caleb and Wang :(

They are all so cool and funny :D 

I'm assuming that you mean other than Doomguy.

On 12/3/2018 at 2:23 PM, yakfak said:

blackbird :3 she has some good lines

I'm glad that the first response to this thread is also the first character that popped into my head when I saw the thread's title. I think if Blackbird wasn't in Strife, the game would have felt lifeless and dull.

After Blackbird, probably Caleb followed by Gordon Freeman, Lo Wang and Prisoner 849.

Another vote for Caleb over here :)

Also, a question for the people that like Gordon Freeman (or any other silent protagonist with little to no characterization): Why? How can you like a character that (arguably) doesn't even fit the definition? They're little more than a vessel, and it would be equally valid to think of them as heroes or maniacal bastards that only care about their own goals.

Not sure if Doomguys is really a character. He's more of an archetype. So if I were to choose my favorite character with an actual personality it would be Caleb.

If you where to separate voiceless characters from the game, then in a way they are just you. So I don't really see a difference from 90's doom guy to 90's Gordon Freeman. So in that aspect I don't have one that I prefer due to their own accord. All fps characters from the 90's that talk annoy the hell out of me now, and don't actually feel relatable to me. I guess if I had to choose one, I would have to pick doomguy due to his expressions on the hud giving him his own identity (even if slightly) and his lack of annoying dialog make him the winner.

16 hours ago, KVELLER said:

Another vote for Caleb over here :)

Also, a question for the people that like Gordon Freeman (or any other silent protagonist with little to no characterization): Why? How can you like a character that (arguably) doesn't even fit the definition?

Well, you know, there's a saying: Actions speak louder than words.

So despite not being able to tell much about them by what they're saying since they're silent, they do still have a background of sorts written by the devs + whatever you're able of doing in the game, what their arsenal is, who, how, what are they fighting against, and most importantly, what other characters say about them (why they're there, what their mission is, for instance), etc. Indeed, it might not be possible to define them as clearly as some other characters who may not be as open to interpretation in certain aspects, but are more than merely a vessel for the player at the same time.

Edited by Agent6

7 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Do you know what the term "FPS" means?

When I read the title it was late and didn't notice FPS haha. Too bad Metroid Prime came out in the 2000's.

Caleb and Duke Nukem such a nice and alive characters in silent protagonist universe from 90's. 

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

Hiro Miyamoto was kind of a dumbass. 

Oh my god, He actually did it. He sent us back in time!

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

Hiro Miyamoto was kind of a dumbass. 

And his voice was garbage, he sounded just like an old man in toilet.

But Prisoner 849 could be female or male, as far as I remember. Couldn't you chose freely at the beginning of the game?

3 hours ago, Space Boss said:

iu.jpg.5f6074b1613553979a74d138217bf202.jpg

Technically not 90's, but I wanted to bring someone new to the mix.

Stylistically very 90s. He is a 90s character who came a little bit too late to the party.

From what I recall regarding prisoner 849, the plan originally was to have you play a female character, but in practice the original release gave you character select before entering the game. dunno how but I somehow got it into my head that the "dante" skin was the default char for the longest time. I think the later releases which borrow the UT menu set the player character to a female by default.

Translator messages that refer to the messiah are usually genderless, but there's one exception in Bluff Eversmoking where they refer to a "warrior princess"

out of all the 90s fps games I personally love Duke. It probably doesn't help that as a kid I really didn't understand the "parody" aspect of him so I just kinda thought he was the coolest guy ever. heh.

20 minutes ago, InsanityBringer said:

From what I recall regarding prisoner 849, the plan originally was to have you play a female character, but in practice the original release gave you character select before entering the game. dunno how but I somehow got it into my head that the "dante" skin was the default char for the longest time. I think the later releases which borrow the UT menu set the player character to a female by default.

Translator messages that refer to the messiah are usually genderless, but there's one exception in Bluff Eversmoking where they refer to a "warrior princess"

Back in the early stages of Unreal's development the main protagonist was going to be a female. But as more action games at the time were starting to have female protagonists the devs decided to leave it as the users choice.