Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristian Nebula

RELEASED: The Darkened Outpost - a standalone map for OTEX resources

Enjoyed this a lot! Sweet spacious tech-base with well interconnected areas. Didn't get lost at all, switches opened always something you could see or very close or the enemies or design lead naturally to the new area. The texture set looks great and you made good use of it. Also the MIDI sounds good and fits the level. I played this on HMP and it was a bit too easy (too much ammo, too few enemies) and then tried it again on UV which wasn't noticeably harder. I feel UV should definitely be harder. For example the Cyberdemon fight is way too easy because you can kill it from the higher platform near the beginning without any resistance. Need some more pressure there (Cacodemons?).

Congratulations on the release! Judging by the screenshots, this one has a brooding, oppressive atmosphere. Which is awesome!

5 hours ago, SP_FACE1 said:

Enjoyed this a lot! Sweet spacious tech-base with well interconnected areas. Didn't get lost at all, switches opened always something you could see or very close or the enemies or design lead naturally to the new area. The texture set looks great and you made good use of it. Also the MIDI sounds good and fits the level. I played this on HMP and it was a bit too easy (too much ammo, too few enemies) and then tried it again on UV which wasn't noticeably harder. I feel UV should definitely be harder. For example the Cyberdemon fight is way too easy because you can kill it from the higher platform near the beginning without any resistance. Need some more pressure there (Cacodemons?).

Thanks for the tip! Will do a hotfix asap to increase difficulty on UV ;) it is possible, however unlikely, that the Cyberdemon will follow you up there. Happened to me once during testing :D

Edited by Kristian Nebula

6 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Locations are very fit with those orange sky!

The sky glows very nicely in GZdoom when there is some extra fx turned on in the graphics options :)

looks like I found what I'll be playing in honor of Doom's 25th birthday....screenshots look fantastic.

Missed the blur sphere secret but that was absolutely fantastic; you never disappoint.   the pacing and music really drove the adventure  as I weaved back and forth through this intricate map.   Outstanding stuff here.

Edited by joepallai : compliments to the chef

3 hours ago, joepallai said:

looks like I found what I'll be playing in honor of Doom's 25th birthday....screenshots look fantastic.

Missed the blur sphere secret but that was absolutely fantastic; you never disappoint.   the pacing and music really drove the adventure  as I weaved back and forth through this intricate map.   Outstanding stuff here.

Thank you for your comments! Nice to hear you liked it! :)

I played through your map and beat it in 37:29. Looked more like a Boom compatible map to me, the textures were excellent and I think the layout was great with a great atmosphere and large open areas. A nice, tough struggle, where my health was below 30% for a lot of the time because of those bloody annoying hitscanners that would make Richard Wiles (author of Dickie series and Crusades) proud. But thank goodness for that Megasphere for that brief time my health was above 30%, the health went down very quickly as I was ganged up by Revenants but luckily I was able to induce some monster infighting to help a bit. I only got 2 of the 4 secrets. The easiest monster was the Cyberdemon because I left him till last and I killed him using the Super Shotgun but those 3 chaingun guys sniping when the Cyberdemon was roaming made it hard. I really liked how the Arch Viles turned up, you need to kill them fast before they resurrect other enemies, especially Revenants. It was also nice to see quite a few Pain Elementals helping out their Cacodemon buddies too and it is important having floating enemies in big spaces like outdoor areas. Yes, a really nice map indeed like something from a Arnie action movie.

Also played this recently, inbetween Eviternity. Very well done map with great visuals, lots of big open areas but also cramped tiny spaces inbetween. I am not a pro-Doomer so I am not really sure what to say about the encounters, but a certain "switch and two chaingunners teleporting in behind me" was quite memorable, because I saved my game with not enough health and had a hard time getting around those two. xD Overall just a great map!

Thanks for bumping the thread :) Really great map and the music fits nicely. For me the link in the original post still worked fine btw.

Usually I'm not the biggest fan of archviles, but the way that they are used in this map is pretty clever. They never overwhelm you, but keep you on your toes when you start to feel like you have everything under control.