Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

Ozonia Boom Megawad - on /idgames!

Every source port and the vanilla executable can load multiple wad files in the way RottingZombie described (remember that BTSX episodes are distributed as two wad files that must be loaded together!).

Old versions of PrBoom+ such as 2.5.1.5 don't support widescreen assets - the status bar gets chopped up at the incorrect places and ends up misaligned:

doom00.png.016b18ea1d5b00b9e43cef3aebbcd340.png

Edited by Shepardus

Yeah, just realized it's a limitation of the launcher I am using (DoomRunner). It's based on the ZScript command line syntax which uses -file for each additional file you load. Unfortunately, most other ports use a different format, which is -file file1 file2 file3 etc.

And ports that didn't get updated to support assets from the Unity port will have problems with widescreen stuff. I dunno who is still using those, but I guess for the sake of those purists, integration of widescreen assets should be avoided.

Found this through the Cacowards thread. On map 15. This set rules. The music is extra-mint. Enjoyed a lot of the fights. Maybe a little chaingunner heavy for me. This is also one of few WADs where I've managed to find 95% of the secrets without looking them up online, so good work there. Enjoy the computer maps on most (probably all?) maps. Lots of good infighting. Not too challenging, I'm not especially good but playing on Eviternity, pistol start, saves allowed, played half of it in maybe 4-6 hours.

I find getting good weapons (SSG, RL, Plasma) a little tricky sometimes, especially on the maps with hot starts, but I've never had to fight a really tough enemy with just the SG. I think you're maybe overusing damaging floors, especially in map 14. I'm also having real trouble seeing spectres and find the maps a bit dark, but I think that's my recently reinstalled set-up rather than anything you're doing.

Really like the backtrack points at the end of maps and enjoyed the plasma being a secret weapon a lot of the time, and one that feels like it has a real impact on the final fight of a map. Ammo balance feels pretty good, secrets don't feel mandatory but are useful.

The flying enemy is okay, I'd maybe lower his health very slightly. I don't love the land guy, but once I realised he was a good chaingun target it helped a lot. I'd lower his speed a bit, or maybe do something so he infights more often (idk what that could be).

Otherwise it's great, looking forward to finishing it :)

On 4/8/2022 at 8:36 PM, Shepardus said:

Every source port and the vanilla executable can load multiple wad files in the way RottingZombie described (remember that BTSX episodes are distributed as two wad files that must be loaded together!).

Old versions of PrBoom+ such as 2.5.1.5 don't support widescreen assets - the status bar gets chopped up at the incorrect places and ends up misaligned:

doom00.png.016b18ea1d5b00b9e43cef3aebbcd340.png

hmmm I see, let me check with later prBoom version. If it's a matter of just updating the source port, I think might be worth still adding it to the main .wad file instead of a separated one.

On 4/10/2022 at 10:04 PM, ChaosSmurf said:

Found this through the Cacowards thread. On map 15. This set rules. The music is extra-mint. Enjoyed a lot of the fights. Maybe a little chaingunner heavy for me. This is also one of few WADs where I've managed to find 95% of the secrets without looking them up online, so good work there. Enjoy the computer maps on most (probably all?) maps. Lots of good infighting. Not too challenging, I'm not especially good but playing on Eviternity, pistol start, saves allowed, played half of it in maybe 4-6 hours.

I find getting good weapons (SSG, RL, Plasma) a little tricky sometimes, especially on the maps with hot starts, but I've never had to fight a really tough enemy with just the SG. I think you're maybe overusing damaging floors, especially in map 14. I'm also having real trouble seeing spectres and find the maps a bit dark, but I think that's my recently reinstalled set-up rather than anything you're doing.

Really like the backtrack points at the end of maps and enjoyed the plasma being a secret weapon a lot of the time, and one that feels like it has a real impact on the final fight of a map. Ammo balance feels pretty good, secrets don't feel mandatory but are useful.

The flying enemy is okay, I'd maybe lower his health very slightly. I don't love the land guy, but once I realised he was a good chaingun target it helped a lot. I'd lower his speed a bit, or maybe do something so he infights more often (idk what that could be).

Otherwise it's great, looking forward to finishing it :)

That's fantastic! Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I'm glad you are being able to find the secrets, as it was my intention for them to be discovered by the players (at least a big portion of them, because there are some that are a bit too cryptic >.<). I hope the second half of the wad is as fun as the first one :D

On 4/12/2022 at 4:06 PM, Deadwing said:

That's fantastic! Thanks a lot for the feedback!

I'm glad you are being able to find the secrets, as it was my intention for them to be discovered by the players (at least a big portion of them, because there are some that are a bit too cryptic >.<). I hope the second half of the wad is as fun as the first one :D

Just finished. 10/10 music and like 9/10 everything else. Thanks for making it :)

Finally managed to find some time for writing a proper review.

As Hypercube said, Ozonia is

On 1/27/2022 at 8:06 PM, Hypercube said:

Instant classic, cacoward material.

Let me elaborate. As far as individual setpeices go, Ozonia feels on the same level as Eviternity, both in difficulty and in design quality. Of course, it is a bit tricky to compare the two megawads directly, as Eviternity tends to have bigger maps, and thus it has more setpieces overall. The smaller size of Ozonia maps is should not be seen as a flaw, far from it!

I would argue that the smaller maps make Ozonia even more unique. Ozonia is the only Eviternity-like WAD, which has a good number of more miniatuire maps! (There are other Eviternity-like WADs of course, like 180 Minutes Pour Vivre, Valiant, Uprising, Ancient Aliens... But those WADs and other WADs like them tend to have bigger maps compared to Eviternity.)

I also feel that Ozonia offers the best match for Eviternity-on-UV difficulty level among all the WADs I have played. This fact, combined with the smaller maps, and very diverse encounters, should make Ozonia a very good introductory WAD for new players, seeking modern pWADs. (Full disclosure: Eviternity was the first pWAD which got me hooked on modern Doom2 gameplay. And I feel like Ozonia can offer a similar experience to a newcomer.)

Combat-wise, Ozonia offers a very fresh approach to Plutonia school of challenging combat. The maps and individual encounters are very diverse and tend to use monster in a very efficient manner. In many fights, every single monster counts, like in good old Plutonia Experiment. But here is the twist. Most modern combat WADs like to exploit revs, viles and hell knights, with some mancubi and chaingunners thrown in for a good measure. But Ozonia is different. Instead of revs and hell knights, it puts a HUGE emphasis on arachnotrons, and also uses mancubi much more agressively. On top of that, Ozonia adds two very cool new monsters to spice things up. (IMHO, the new monsters are perfect in RC4. The Hellions now consistently die to SSG, and the Hierophants fit perfectly in Revenant weight class.)

Design-wise, Ozonia looks like Plutonia Experiment elevated to the top of modern visual standards. Ozonia decorations are not super colorful, unlike Ancient Aliens, Eviternity or some Ribbiks' creations. But the maps still make a striking impression. I think that at least half of the maps can be considered visually phenomenal, and the rest is not very far behind. And don't forget the music...

Basically, Ozonia is the best WAD since at least June of 2021. I would not be surprised, if Ozonia would become a 2022 classic.

12 minutes ago, NightFright said:

I am wondering why the demo goes out of sync in Woof! when having "Boom" complevel set in the game menu.

There aren't any built-in demos in the wad, so what you're seeing are just the default Doom II demos.

That's weird. When I am waiting after loading the game, it starts a demo of the start area of MAP11 "Moonblood I" with the player just randomly shooting around.

That's expected if the wad doesn't come with its own demos (and doesn't substitute them with empty markers like some wads do); DEMO1 in DOOM2.WAD is a demo of MAP11, so that's what gets played.

Just finished the whole thing and all I can say is: Boy, what a ride. It's like a third entry for the Final Doom series regarding quality. What I appreciated the most was that the lowest difficulty kinda kept its promise and made most encounters survivable for occasional players like myself. Only the last two maps really upped the ante and required some aggressive BFG-zerging at times. Also, layout of MAP29 seemed kinda dickish and confusing to me. Too large for my taste in general, making it hard to figure out where to go next. I also think there are some ways to get softlocked if you jump into an area without having the prerequisites to get out again (talking about the area with the blue skull key here). The encounters towards the end were borderline-difficulty for me, but managable. Before that, it was rather relaxing and atmospheric. I also liked that there are a lot of computer area maps, which is important in big levels and often neglected by designers.

Considering bugs, I didn't find much besides maybe a floating health bottle in one map, some Pinkies stuck in doorways or a HOM or so. The last intermission text also contains a grammar mistake ("survivors [...] begins" --> "survivors [...] begin"), but that's pretty much it.

All things considered, a very polished and enjoyable release with great scenery and mostly well-balanced gameplay.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback, guys!

@Azure_Horror, thanks a lot for all the kind words! There was a conscious effort to keep Ozonia maps small enough, both to make pacing better and to reduce scope, and I'm glad people enjoyed this approach. It's quite the opposite of Exomoon, which I can see why some people prefer it to Ozonia. Same goes with monster placement, I tried to not abuse too much of Arch, Revs and the new enemies, which ended making me use more Mancubi and Arachnotrons haha It's good because they're perfect targets for RL, since they are big and slow enemies.

@NightFright, that's great to hear! As for map 29, I decided to go a bit overboard haha I will check that soft lock, it shouldn't happen >.< It's indeed a hard map to navigate, and even with RC4 changes, it seems it wasn't enough to guide players to the right direction easily. Thankfully the main encounters weren't too hard!

Would be interesting to know how you are actually supposed to obtain the blue skull key in map29. What I did was to drop down into that large pit with skull textures and fight all the enemies first (without key), but then I didn't have the key which is required to leave the area.

Apparently you aren't supposed to drop all the way down and get the key first, and if you don't, there is no way to get up onto that narrow ledge. At least I wasn't able to find out how to pull it off. There are two switches that I activated, but they didn't really help me to get out of there.

How I did it: Drop onto the left side walls from above, balance carefully to the key platform and only then drop into the skull-textured pit. It seemed a bit cryptic and weird compared to how easy the rest of all the keys were to get. Maybe there's another way and I didn't see it, but then you need to make sure it can't be done wrong.

Again, this was the only time I got a bit confused throughout the entire wad. I do get the concept of the penultimate map being the final big challenge here, especially since it's basically the last fight with map30 rather being a sendoff. Layout is a bit chaotic in this case and mistakes can apparently be made.

I need to play the other two parts as well to get the big picture, btw. Just made a widescreen statusbar for Exomoon as well since it was the only missing one.

Edited by NightFright

Ooh, you are supposed first to kill all the enemeis, then press a switch which will raise lifts that will lead you to the BK >.<
You can see this here:

I really hope that this switch is working in RC4, danmit >.< Regardless, it might be a case of making it easier to spot like some other key elements in the wad.

Exomoon and Moonblood are a bit of different products, and while the story is in the same universe, it's not directly related haha The levels are also a bit less detailed >.< I do enjoy a lot them though, unlike my previous effort haha

Wow, I managed to totally not find that platform going up, lol. I dunno if it can be made more obvious what you have to do, but well, I tumbled around without any clue. Too many pillars in that section in general maybe so you dunno if there's any that can be lowered. I probably just didn't see that platform getting raised when flipping that second switch. Too busy avoiding projectiles...

So, for you to know: While jumping down into that skull pit, it is possible to do a tricky but doable landing on top of the wall on the left leading to the ledge with the skull key. Like this, one could skip the entire switch section and go straight for the blue key door without doing most (or any) of the fights.

Edited by NightFright

Oh, I see, adding a switch texture in the lift could be helpful to identify them as "pressed on". Unfortunately the lift texture in that map is a lot less obvious than I wanted >.<

I'll definitely address it in the (final) RC5

I just finished map29 and map30 this morning and wow, this mapset rules! I remember playing Moonblood a few years ago and not being particularly impressed by it, but it blows my mind how far you've come as a mapper since then--every scene is drop-dead gorgeous and the maps are all concise enough not to get the "epic fatigue" that starts to set in in the middle section of most megawads. I played this on HMP and the fights were impeccably judged--you really know how to squeeze a gripping encounter out of only a relatively few monsters, and when the occasional slaughtery setpiece does make its appearance, it's made all the more intimidating by the contrast. However, the absolute best part of this megawad is the music. Having a real Sound Canvas (my SC-55 MkII, in this case), I of course chose the "classic" version, and I was in midi heaven pretty much the whole way through. You've got a really distinct and impressive "voice" with composition, especially the more moody jazz-rock type stuff. The guitar solos were just ace, especially since so many other composers (not naming names) use the midi guitar as just another keyboard patch and tend to write very unnatural lines--yours sound like the sort of things a guitarist--a talented, creative guitarist--would actually play. My favorite midi was "Endless Citadela", especially since "Subterraneo I" was one of my favorite maps of the set (the other standouts to me being "Moonblood I", "Caverna", "Mecanismo", and @antares031's ballbreaking "Penitência"). Hell, I even love the Portuguese level titles, they remind me of the Spanish level titles from the classic Quake level set Travail. Any chance of a pronunciation guide for us barbarians who only speak one language (well, I know a little Spanish, enough to guess the meaning of your level titles, but an American pronouncing Portuguese as if it were Spanish would be like three horrible accents sitting on each other's shoulders in a trench coat)?

You mentioned Plutonia, but all the high vantage points and catwalks over (often damaging) liquids remind me even more of John Romero's mapping for Doom II and E4. I loved the sense of progression and adventure the changing styles and skies of the maps provided, even if the overarching story was entirely lost on me--Baroness? A demon-human alliance? Who is Mother? I only became more confused the further it got, but unlike Doom Eternal, it never got in the way of blasting demons left and right, so I was able to get by without it (though I kept expecting a boss battle against the mother demon 😆). The secrets were excellent, and really got me invested in finding them--rather than being random and obscure, there was a real logic to them, and figuring them out added greatly to my enjoyment of the maps even when I didn't need them. One thing I didn't like was the Dehacked monsters, but I almost never like Dehacked monsters, so that's just to be expected.

I played this in PrBoom-plus 2.6.0 on my 1733 MHz AMD Athlon rig and I was surprised to get a rock steady 85 fps at 320x200, with only a few very slight fps drops in "Penitência" and "Mecanismo" (by contrast, the Athlon chokes on map15 and map26 of Eviternity, anything involving the UFOs in Ancient Aliens, map08 of Legacy of Heroes, etc.). You really know how to make your linedefs and visplanes count. As a note, the 320x240 interface images appear as an HOM in low res, and I suggest resizing them to 320x200.

Bravo, you deserve a Cacoward for sure. I might review it in the future but my first playthrough took me 8 hours by the game clock and probably at least 10 with reloads and I'm exhausted. I'm kind of wondering what you'd be able to pull off with OTEX...

As a bonus, here's a hardware midi render of "Endless Citadela". This one was recorded on my SC-88 since the Athlon with the SC-55 hooked up is not set up for recording, but I set it in SC-55 mode so it's almost indistinguishable:

Edited by Woolie Wool

Hey @Woolie Wool, thanks a lot for the incredible kind words!

Endless Citadela does sound great indeed with Roland SC-88 :D I'm glad you enjoyed the guitar sections, especially the solos as it is quite hard to reproduce them in MIDI (and playing with a keyboard, which led with 30-40 takes to finally get something decent lol). The final result is quite simple and maybe even basic, but I like this type of stuff :D

I'm glad you've enjoyed the whole wad and the experience wasn't tiring even in the later half, which was one of my goals with it >.<)«. Many also didn't enjoy the dehacked enemies, but hopefully I didn't overuse them so they are like a deal breaker. And it's great to hear you enjoyed finding the secrets, as I didn't want them to be too hard or boring to get them, although I'll admit that a few there are indeed really cryptic.

The story is silly and not much of a big deal. Think that all the things that are described there happened in the past and you're kinda "passing through" as you see and discover what remained of these events. My goal was to have something to serve as a glue to the maps instead of creating an actual plot, kinda in a Dark Souls way (but much, much worse, ofc) haha

Overall though, it's all about the alliance between Baroness and the demons, which led to the discovery of the Mother (the motherdemon), and when the Moon Corruptor attacked Earth, everything feel apart and the Baroness created a contingency plan to defeat it.

BTW, I think you can use google translator to see how some levels are pronunciated :D So far most of them felt really accurate
http://translate.google.com/?hl=pt&amp;sl=pt&amp;tl=en&amp;text=Renascido%2C círculos%2C Hexagonal%2C Altura%2C Satélite%2C Subterrâneo%2C Aranha%2C Céu%2C Observatório%2C Caverna%2C Citadela%2C Torres%2C Gerador%2C Penitência%2C Inferno%2C Velas%2C Inca%2C Barragem%2C Caveiras%2C Plutocidade%2C Rápido%2C Solidão%2C Mecanismo&amp;op=translate

1 hour ago, Deadwing said:

Hey @Woolie Wool, thanks a lot for the incredible kind words!

Endless Citadela does sound great indeed with Roland SC-88 :D I'm glad you enjoyed the guitar sections, especially the solos as it is quite hard to reproduce them in MIDI (and playing with a keyboard, which led with 30-40 takes to finally get something decent lol). The final result is quite simple and maybe even basic, but I like this type of stuff :D

Actually playing it instead of just writing notes out would also go a long way to explain why the solos sound natural. As for being simple, IMO midis do not really benefit from being florid and crammed with notes anyway.

On 5/16/2022 at 1:35 AM, Woolie Wool said:
Spoiler

I just finished map29 and map30 this morning and wow, this mapset rules! I remember playing Moonblood a few years ago and not being particularly impressed by it, but it blows my mind how far you've come as a mapper since then--every scene is drop-dead gorgeous and the maps are all concise enough not to get the "epic fatigue" that starts to set in in the middle section of most megawads. I played this on HMP and the fights were impeccably judged--you really know how to squeeze a gripping encounter out of only a relatively few monsters, and when the occasional slaughtery setpiece does make its appearance, it's made all the more intimidating by the contrast. However, the absolute best part of this megawad is the music. Having a real Sound Canvas (my SC-55 MkII, in this case), I of course chose the "classic" version, and I was in midi heaven pretty much the whole way through. You've got a really distinct and impressive "voice" with composition, especially the more moody jazz-rock type stuff. The guitar solos were just ace, especially since so many other composers (not naming names) use the midi guitar as just another keyboard patch and tend to write very unnatural lines--yours sound like the sort of things a guitarist--a talented, creative guitarist--would actually play. My favorite midi was "Endless Citadela", especially since "Subterraneo I" was one of my favorite maps of the set (the other standouts to me being "Moonblood I", "Caverna", "Mecanismo", and @antares031's ballbreaking "Penitência"). Hell, I even love the Portuguese level titles, they remind me of the Spanish level titles from the classic Quake level set Travail. Any chance of a pronunciation guide for us barbarians who only speak one language (well, I know a little Spanish, enough to guess the meaning of your level titles, but an American pronouncing Portuguese as if it were Spanish would be like three horrible accents sitting on each other's shoulders in a trench coat)?

You mentioned Plutonia, but all the high vantage points and catwalks over (often damaging) liquids remind me even more of John Romero's mapping for Doom II and E4. I loved the sense of progression and adventure the changing styles and skies of the maps provided, even if the overarching story was entirely lost on me--Baroness? A demon-human alliance? Who is Mother? I only became more confused the further it got, but unlike Doom Eternal, it never got in the way of blasting demons left and right, so I was able to get by without it (though I kept expecting a boss battle against the mother demon 😆). The secrets were excellent, and really got me invested in finding them--rather than being random and obscure, there was a real logic to them, and figuring them out added greatly to my enjoyment of the maps even when I didn't need them. One thing I didn't like was the Dehacked monsters, but I almost never like Dehacked monsters, so that's just to be expected.

I played this in PrBoom-plus 2.6.0 on my 1733 MHz AMD Athlon rig and I was surprised to get a rock steady 85 fps at 320x200, with only a few very slight fps drops in "Penitência" and "Mecanismo" (by contrast, the Athlon chokes on map15 and map26 of Eviternity, anything involving the UFOs in Ancient Aliens, map08 of Legacy of Heroes, etc.). You really know how to make your linedefs and visplanes count. As a note, the 320x240 interface images appear as an HOM in low res, and I suggest resizing them to 320x200.

Bravo, you deserve a Cacoward for sure. I might review it in the future but my first playthrough took me 8 hours by the game clock and probably at least 10 with reloads and I'm exhausted. I'm kind of wondering what you'd be able to pull off with OTEX...

As a bonus, here's a hardware midi render of "Endless Citadela". This one was recorded on my SC-88 since the Athlon with the SC-55 hooked up is not set up for recording, but I set it in SC-55 mode so it's almost indistinguishable:

I love how Woolie doesn't even need to write a full review to get across his unbridled enthusiasm for a WAD.

That's also a majestic rendition of a genuinely soulful track.

Both of these things make me feel bad about simply shoving Ozonia in my backlog.

An easy to implement suggestion for map 31:

Right now the white skybox looks a bit out of place in comparison to orange skies of Maps 15-16 and a red sky of Map 32. I think Map31 would look stunning with an Orange Cloud skybox from Map 01. This skybox will create a perfect transition from map 15 into both map 32 and map 16, and tie maps 15, 31, 32 and 16 together. With a gradual skybox transition, secret maps would feel even more "at home" in the second episode.

Almost done, very cool maps. The style and background areas were nicely detailed. Was nice a lot of the visuals relied on textures or sprites instead of millions of linedefs and still looked amazing, my computer was thankful heh. The gameplay was great too, I liked that it never really felt too hard but also required specific strategies in most encounters. The story and hubs were pretty cool too.  
The skill balance was almost perfect already in most maps. Hopefully the reports help to polish up some awesome maps. 

I am not a fan of necro bumping, but since the project used ZokumBSP and there was talk about node builder errors. If you're having an issue, you can just talk to me on irc, that is the quickest way to get a response. I'd recommend #doom2 on EFNet or #nightmare on Quakenet, but it might take some hours before i respond, work and sleep etc. If that isn't quite your thing, you could send me a direct message here on Doomworld, but that might take longer.

You could also tag me in a post on dw if you think there is a problem with the tool or you're having problems understanding the tool.

Lastly you could try Discord, but since Discord is shit, it would probably take weeks before I respond. You'll probably be better off sending me a handwritten letter by post. Did I mention Discord is shit?

Hey guys! I'm working on RC5 (fixed lots of small issues related by @Catoptromancy - again, thank you so much for the detailed testing :D), but I still need help in 3 things:

1 - Create a compelling ENDOOM screen. No way I'll have the skills to create something interesting enough for this lol

2 - When you add new sound effects, are these limited when working with -cl9 or you can add as many as you want?

3 - In some specific sourceports, the sky is really out of alignment, which makes some levels look really ugly lol For example, in PsychoEyeball's stream:

PmyoI9W.png

Is there any way I can fix this? I could try to align the sky upwards, but then it would look ugly in software mode >.<

11 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

Is there any way I can fix this? I could try to align the sky upwards, but then it would look ugly in software mode >.<

On sky transfers you can align it as you implied, but the more practical option is to edit the sky graphic or find a new one that's vertically seamless as well - it may look a little unusual, but less so than a harsh cutoff like there currently is. :)

8 hours ago, Deadwing said:

3 - In some specific sourceports, the sky is really out of alignment, which makes some levels look really ugly lol For example, in PsychoEyeball's stream:

Does he happen to be using an old version of GlBoom+ (i.e. not from within the past year or so)? Those have problems rendering skies that affect some WADs such as Eviternity (MAP01) and Ancient Aliens (maps 25+) - something to do with non-standard sky sizes, though I don't know the details. You might be able to work around those issues by adjusting the size/offset of the sky, but honestly if that's the issue then the best thing to do might be to have him to update to a new version of PrBoom+ or dsda-doom (or just use software rendering).

It feels so good to know that Ozonia is aproaching its realese! Ozonia is really well-craftet! I feel like this megawad can become a modern classics, on the same level as Ancient Aliens, Eviternity or Valiant!

Speaking of great things in Ozonia, I finally played the RC4 version of “Inferno” (map 21).

Let me tell you, the new plasma rifle makes a huuuge difference. Plasma gun, unlike BFG, or rocket launcher, or SSG allows you to stunlock and destroy demons in melee range without changing your movement pattern. A very convenient weapon for running between a wall and a revenant crowd. It is a rare case, when a micro-slaughter fight has use for both the BFG and the Plasma rifle. Ozonia map 21 has exactly this type of a fight.

Now this map feels even more special!

On 7/15/2022 at 4:08 PM, Shepardus said:

Does he happen to be using an old version of GlBoom+ (i.e. not from within the past year or so)? Those have problems rendering skies that affect some WADs such as Eviternity (MAP01) and Ancient Aliens (maps 25+) - something to do with non-standard sky sizes, though I don't know the details. You might be able to work around those issues by adjusting the size/offset of the sky, but honestly if that's the issue then the best thing to do might be to have him to update to a new version of PrBoom+ or dsda-doom (or just use software rendering).

I was using dsda-doom 0.24.2 when I recorded this. OpenGL rendering.

13 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

I was using dsda-doom 0.24.2 when I recorded this. OpenGL rendering.

Oh, then it's not the version that's the problem. In your config, what is the setting for gl_skymode? The skymode changes how the sky is rendered, and that can affect its alignment. If it's not 0, try setting it to 0. If it's already 0, you probably have mouselook turned on (gl_skymode 0 is actually an "auto" setting that toggles between two different skymodes depending on whether mouselook is turned on). I used to use gl_skymode 3 because it worked around some other sky-related issues (specifically the Eviternity MAP01 one), but the issues that I was working around have since been fixed so I'd recommend using gl_skymode 0 nowadays.