Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

Ozonia Boom Megawad - on /idgames!

I have absolutely no idea what my configs are. I'll have a look at this whenever I'll be out of work.

But I do use mouselook so this could already be a possible culprit. 

1 hour ago, PsychEyeball said:

But I do use mouselook so this could already be a possible culprit. 

Ah, that would explain it - assuming you haven't touched the gl_skymode config, having mouselook on causes the OpenGL renderer to use a different skymode that I guess doesn't play nicely with this sky. I'm not sure there's any workaround Deadwing can put in the WAD to make it work better (I don't know much about how these skymodes work...), but I consider it more a source port limitation than a problem with the WAD, as unhelpful as that may be to you.

23 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Ah, that would explain it - assuming you haven't touched the gl_skymode config, having mouselook on causes the OpenGL renderer to use a different skymode that I guess doesn't play nicely with this sky. I'm not sure there's any workaround Deadwing can put in the WAD to make it work better (I don't know much about how these skymodes work...), but I consider it more a source port limitation than a problem with the WAD, as unhelpful as that may be to you.

I finally got to see my config file and gl_skymode was at 0. Is there a value I'd want to set it at for skies to play nice with mouselook?

@Deadwing, sorry for late reply. I want to suggest a few little tweaks and one crazy-but-easy-to-implement idea.

(I am sorry, if I am being annoying, or inconsiderate.)

Tweak 1) Is there an error in music credits?  @PsychEyeball midi "Ghostly Plains" is assigned to map 31. This feels wrong: If I am not mistaken, map 31 has the same midi as map 04. I suspect that .txt contains an error - @PsychEyeball "Ghostly Plains" is the midi for  @antares031 guest map 32.

Tweak 2) Silver Letters on gray background are a bit hard to read. But Cammy's fonts themselves are awesome! Is it possible to recolor them to gold or bronze, or maybe sky-blue?

Tweak 3) About specters on map 31. I am a bit surprised that you kept the specter at the start and the specters inside the dark archvile room on North-East. The specter at the satrt is hard to notice visualtt due to gray walls and hard to hear because of caco noises. Very unpleasant, due to all the rocket combat involved. And the specters in the dark archvile corner are similar. The Vile demands something powerful, either plasma, or rockets. And hard to spot specters cause unpleasant face-rocketing... I think, those specters should all become pinkies. Other specters are fine.

Crazy-but-easy-to-implement-Idea (if i am not wrong about Doom edditing...)

Spoiler

Right now, map order in episode 3 feels a bit weird. There are essentially two breather maps between map 24 and map 27. As the result, the middle of the final episode feels like one of the easiest parts of the whole MegaWAD! This is a little odd.

Maybe it would be cool to reorder the maps?

For example, the map order can be changed to

1) map 21    2) map 22    3) map 25    4) map 23    5) map 24    6) map 26    7) map 27 and so on

OR

1) map 21    2) map 22    3) map 23    4) map 26    5) map 24    6) map 25    7) map 27 and so on

This way, the difficulty will be more concentrated in the later half of the final episode.

Of course, I do not insist on changing map order! You are the author of Ozonia, and I am just a rando on the internet!

6 hours ago, Zaratul said:

What can i say. Congratulations for getting a cacoward! You deserve it!

Thanks a lot, Zaratul!!

There may be a bug with gzdoom 4.7.1 in map14 : I can't press the second skull button in  the last area with the yellow key, I had to enter in noclip mode to grab it.

Hey everyone, long overdue but it's finally here - my UV max playthrough of Ozonia. Playlist:

I feel the need to add a few things.

First, it is indeed your most polished work yet, though I am torn between Exomoon and this as to which one is my favorite. It's been the most covered of your works and for good reason. The maps that I found most engaging and also gave me the most trouble were 32, 28, and of course 29.  Your music is also great for the experience, as usual.

Second, congrats on the Cacoward, fully deserved. I think the idea of inviting guest mappers was a great one and I was very pleasantly surprised to see A2Rob on the roster, while discovering antares031.

Third, I have a bit of criticism regarding the story - I was left with a lot of questions and some things did not make much sense to me. I've written some stuff about that in the notes for map 30, mostly relating to loose ends and elements that continued to be mysterious to me. It's weird because I thought the narrative in Exomoon (and to a certain extent Moonblood as well) was much tighter with the themes and the general plot. This didn't affect my overall enjoyment of the wad of course. I'd be grateful if you took a look at the note and maybe tell us about the possibility of continuing or clarifying the narrative in Ozonia 2. 

Lastly, with this playthrough, I've completed your megawad trilogy. It feels great and I'm very excited about the sequel to Ozonia. I continue to think that all the megawads have a common universe and a shared big story, though I still need to wrap my head around it.

Thank you again @Deadwing and best of luck with the development of Ozonia 2!

Thanks a lot, @DreadWanderer! I've been watching your playthroughs and it has been awesome to watch them, thanks a lot for sharing them :D

About the story, it's not something really well thought and tbh it's all loosely connected dots inspired from Dark Souls. My main goal here was to make things to feel more interconnected and give a sense of context for the whole WAD. I'll try to answer what I remember though lol

One small not though, the final text message is about the events that happened in the past and not about the finale of the wad (destruction of the moon). I tried to make the text more clearer about it but still failed to make this evident

------------------

"Sadly I don't feel that the text helps at all: at best it's either pretty redundant if you paid attention to the monitor messages during the playthrough; at worst it casts doubt on the moral positioning of the superficially peaceful human and demon society of the Ozonia Realms because it implies that by saving the realm we actually doomed Earth." -> There's indeed some moral doubts about the events in past, but at that point my idea was that Earth was already a place in shambles, as the moon-corruptor affected most of people, demons invaded the place and ravaged the place. Ofc, in a real world situation destroying the moon probably meant the death of the planet as well, but tbh I just thought it sounded cool and went for it haha

Still, Ozonia wasn't a nice place at all, as many people/demons were used as sacrifices (I think there's something about it in map 21 and screen monitor in the "Barrage" level). Humans and demons indeed used to live peacefully, but not against every human/demon faction.

Lastly there seem to be a lot of loose ends and questions left hanging - how does Project Reborn fit into all this? -> Project Reborn was the plan the Baroness created with the Mother to save humanity and outlast the corruption in the moon, which is basically what revived the player in map 2 and led to the destruction of the moon.

What are the motives and the nature of Ethycs, the mysterious group or organization that antagonize Ozonia and most likely orchestrated the corruption? -> Something I'll work in the sequel, but as for the context of the first Ozonia, they won over the alliance in a war and are highly related to the Moon corruptor thing.

Who is the "firekeeper" and what does their "passage" involve? -> The Cyberdemon in map 1 is the firekeeper and the passage is the death ritual that the player passes from map 1 to 2. (part of the project reborn)

Who are the survivors of Earth who begin experimenting with corpses and why are they doing that? -> The text is refering to events in the past, so that would be the beginning of the project Reborn to work on a long term plan to resolve the curse in the moon, which is also related to mother selecting candidates at the temple in map 1.

How does all of this fit into the broader narrative of Doomguy as a sort of interdimensional/interplanetary problem solver, a thing suggested by the overarching journey of Moonblood - Exomoon - Ozonia? -> TBH, Doomguy in the context of the story should be only a default Marine >.< It would worked better if each game had a different face, but that was above my game, something that I'm solving in the sequel lol (replace doomguy with someone else) My idea was that each entry happened between hundreds if not thousands years, with Exomoon -> Moonblood -> Ozonia story order.

@Deadwing thank you very much for your detailed answer, I'm glad you enjoyed my coverage. I think I understand it better now, I tried as much as possible to pay attention to the clues you left. So the "seeders" are basically sacrifices, they didn't choose to be part of the Ozonia Realms of their own will. Cool. I like the moral grey area of the Mother and Baroness.

Now that you say that Exomoon is the first chronologically, maybe that partially explains why it was a bit of a jumble with the big story because I played them in the order released (i.e. Moonblood before Exomoon). For some reason I see a parallel between Metroid's Samus Aran and Doomguy in your wads, though Doomguy is not a bounty hunter haha. Could be just my imagination. Also thank you for confirming that Ozonia 2 will make some aspects clearer, another reason to look forward to it!