Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

Duke Nukem Forever joins Microsoft's backwards compatiblity list for Xbox One

Recommended Posts

Microsoft... you've got to be kidding me.

 

So, it has been recently announced that the 360 port of Duke Nukem Forever will be available to play on Xbox One through backwards compatibility. It seems that whoever at Microsoft that made that decision wasn't a gamer, as it is probably common knowledge that after 15 years of waiting, the final build of Duke Nukem Forever ended up being a pile of trash. The game wasn't that great at all, it was poorly received, and ratings were very low.

 

If someone from Microsoft is reading this (which is extremely unlikely, but you never know these days), then let me tell you something. It is not gonna benefit you or Gaybox Software, putting Duke Nukem Forever on there. You're expecting to make a ton of cash on a game that disappointed many people. I've got news for you, it's probably not gonna happen. I wonder which shitty 360 game is next on the list, Sonic 2006?

 

Anyway, that's my two cents. Now, I want to know your opinion on the matter.

 

Partially related: Is there a legal way to get Duke Nukem 1 and 2 at this moment in time?

Share this post


Link to post

I strongly dislike the game, but I hardly see how this is a problem in any way. My guess is that whatever cost it took to make the game backwards compatible will probably be offset by whatever small amount of money it's going to pull in. I'm aware of how tone deaf corporations are, but even still, I'm near certain whoever greenlighted this decision was already aware of exactly how unpopular the game is.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I'm near certain whoever greenlighted this decision was already aware of exactly how unpopular the game is.

That's insane. Corporations only care about the money. The only logical explanation for this is that whoever made the decision to do this wasn't aware that Duke Nukem Forever sold poorly. Hence what I said earlier when I said he probably wasn't a gamer.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm aware that corporations only care about money. A lot of them are very good at doing exactly just that*. You do realise that some people are still going to purchase this game, yes? And some of those people are going to really enjoy it. As unpopular as the game is, it still has its share of defenders. 

 

edit: I meant to say: A lot of them are very good at making it.*

Edited by Ajora

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Ajora said:

I'm aware that corporations only care about money. A lot of them are very good at doing exactly just that. You do realise that some people are still going to purchase this game, yes? And some of those people are going to really enjoy it. As unpopular as the game is, it still has its share of defenders. 

Yes, it has it's defenders.

 

Defender #1: Randy Pitchford

Defender #2: DuvalMagic

Defender #3: All of the above

Share this post


Link to post

You're being silly. Off the top of my head, I remember Razorfist and LGR liking the game. There were also a handful of video game review sites that gave it very positive ratings. 

 

A quick Google search tells me that there are presently 530 backwards compatible games for the Xbox One. Some of those games have sold far less than Duke Nukem Forever did, and some of them have both lower critic and user aggregate ratings. This is a nonstory that doesn't negatively affect anyone in any way. You're just digging up the game's corpse out of some petty vendetta. I agree with you that the game is bad, but it's time to move on.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Ajora said:

You're being silly. Off the top of my head, I remember Razorfist and LGR liking the game. There were also a handful of video game review sites that gave it very positive ratings. 

 

A quick Google search tells me that there are presently 530 backwards compatible games for the Xbox One. Some of those games have sold far less than Duke Nukem Forever did, and some of them have both lower critic and user aggregate ratings. This is a nonstory that doesn't negatively affect anyone in any way. You're just digging up the game's corpse out of some petty vendetta. I agree with you that the game is bad, but it's time to move on.

I can't move on! I just wish the Duke Nukem rights would go to someone else! I'm sure there are other game companies that would treat ol' Duke way better.

Share this post


Link to post

@crazyflyingdonut You made mistake in word Micro$oft. I would not expect anything smart from M$. That they keep the same M$ GS Wavetable in all versions of Windows and even remove MIDI mapper says enough how M$ care about consumers. Almost all Doomers still use MIDI. And Windows 10... legal spyware + adware. About Duke Nukem Forever: i don't think it's the same "ol' Duke".

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

So, it has been recently announced that the 360 port of Duke Nukem Forever will be available to play on Xbox One through backwards compatibility. It seems that whoever at Microsoft that made that decision wasn't a gamer, as it is probably common knowledge that after 15 years of waiting, the final build of Duke Nukem Forever ended up being a pile of trash. The game wasn't that great at all, it was poorly received, and ratings were very low.

 

If someone from Microsoft is reading this (which is extremely unlikely, but you never know these days), then let me tell you something. It is not gonna benefit you or Gaybox Software, putting Duke Nukem Forever on there. You're expecting to make a ton of cash on a game that disappointed many people. I've got news for you, it's probably not gonna happen. I wonder which shitty 360 game is next on the list, Sonic 2006?

So do you know what backwards compatibility actually is? This seems like an extreme amount of salt over adding a game to a compatibility table.

Do you also get this angry over other emulators being able to launch games you don't like? Maybe you should give the Dolphin guys a piece of your mind over their emulator supporting... *checks list*, Uno?

Share this post


Link to post

The game is bad from anywhere you look at...being "allied" with MS or another company or corporation....just let it go...

Even if the game costs $0.99, the players will regret trying it. Period.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rimantas said:

That they keep the same M$ GS Wavetable in all versions of Windows and even remove MIDI mapper says enough how M$ care about consumers. Almost all Doomers still use MIDI. And Windows 10... legal spyware + adware.

what are you babbling about?

Share this post


Link to post

What exactly is terrible with adding compatibility for it? Much worse games had ports and remakes. There are plenty of reviews warning customers from buying this game because it is bad, if someone ignores them (or never research what they buy anyway) that's on them by now.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

what are you babbling about?

My point was that M$ does some mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't remember LGR liking the game. I think it was pretty much universally disliked. Anyway... from what I remember Microsoft wanted to make all games backwards compatible, but it required a bit of customization for each game which publishers were required to give permission. I bet Gearbox, being the way they are, took forever in responding to Microsoft. Also they probably thought, in their weird ways, it would compete with "World Tour", so they decided to have a gap in time.

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't finished listening to it but I am surprised! Glad he had fun with it though, people don't need to have to justify having fun. I still own my version of it, maybe one day I'll like it. But I know what it's like being on the other side, I bought No Man's Sky on day one and have put over 200 hours into it. The critics of the game were right, but I am a big fan of random generation.

Share this post


Link to post

Regardless whether one thinks the game is good, there are undoubtedly people out there with Xbox One consoles that do enjoy it and will want to play it on their system. I see nothing wrong with that, nor should anyone with any ounce of common sense.

 

Personally speaking, I use the backwards compatibility feature heavily. It's great seeing 360 games run on the Xbox One, as many end up performing better on it than on actual 360 hardware (particularly on the X that I currently have).

 

Also, asides from Duke Nukem Forever, it looks like The Darkness was made compatible the same day.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

If someone from Microsoft is reading this (which is extremely unlikely, but you never know these days), then let me tell you something. It is not gonna benefit you or Gaybox Software, putting Duke Nukem Forever on there. You're expecting to make a ton of cash on a game that disappointed many people. I've got news for you, it's probably not gonna happen. I wonder which shitty 360 game is next on the list, Sonic 2006?

 

This is such a weird aggressive viewpoint. You seem rather uninformed about the purpose of backwards compatibility in the first place.

 

Microsoft's aim is to make every game backwards compatible if they can, and yes that includes Sonic 2006. You seem to be under the impression that by making it backwards compatible Microsoft is somehow making a statement about the quality of the game. This is nonsence: for all we know the team of engineers at XBox who are handling backwards compatibility pulled it out of a hat.

 

Ensuring the longevity of games is never ever a bad thing. As an industry we are awful at preserving our history, and any efforts made by any company to uncouple titles from specific hardware is a good thing.  Microsoft have made a lot of stupid decisions over the years, but their backwards compatibility efforts (yes, even for games like DNF) are an extremely good thing.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Ensuring the longevity of games is never ever a bad thing. As an industry we are awful at preserving our history, and any efforts made by any company to uncouple titles from specific hardware is a good thing.  Microsoft have made a lot of stupid decisions over the years, but their backwards compatibility efforts (yes, even for games like DNF) are an extremely good thing.

It also works great in reverse. Us developers have greater trust in the platform because we can be sure that our games are available and playable in future generations of the platform without having to constantly update the code. It all Just Works™.

It doesn't matter if you start making an Xbox One game right now because the next Xbox should still be able to purchase and play it. (That's the running theory anyway, it certainly looks like that's Microsoft's intent.) 

Share this post


Link to post

Am I the only one who actually likes DNF? Sure it might not have been what we were hoping for but what ever is? I don't get the hate for it.

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Am I the only one who actually likes DNF? Sure it might not have been what we were hoping for but what ever is? I don't get the hate for it.

 

It probably has something with what was seen around 2001 in trailers and short gameplay videos. The game looked pretty promising, but after it changed direction and got delayed repeatedly the quality started dropping and it eventually failed to live to the hype it generated at that time.

 

Or at least I think that's one of the reasons, never bothered to do a bunch of research on the topic since the game never interested me in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Windows 10... legal spyware + adware.

 

You can disable most of the "spyware" kind of tracking + since version 1803 (or whatever version added it) you have a built-in tool that shows you all data that's sent to MS, they've gotten only more transparent about those issues concerning privacy, go figure. You can also remove plenty of bloatware and disable unnecessary crap, including ads (save for apps that don't allow it I suppose). I'm yet to see a single one popping up.

 

I'm far from a MS shill but that doesn't mean it's okay to bash something just for the sake of doing it, I'm actually getting pretty tired of seeing the exact same "criticisms" of W10 from almost everyone who supposedly hates it (probably bandwagoning at this point).

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

If someone from Microsoft is reading this (which is extremely unlikely, but you never know these days), then let me tell you something. It is not gonna benefit you or Gaybox Software, putting Duke Nukem Forever on there. You're expecting to make a ton of cash on a game that disappointed many people. I've got news for you, it's probably not gonna happen. I wonder which shitty 360 game is next on the list, Sonic 2006?

 

Anyway, that's my two cents. Now, I want to know your opinion on the matter.

Who hurt you, dude?

Share this post


Link to post

@Agent6 Ok. I don't use Win 10, so you know better. Can you tell me about updates, please, do they ever mess something? I have read some people complained that updates messed drivers' compatibility, uninstalled some programs. I don't hate Win 10, i just don't like it and what M$ does with it.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×