Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Best Dummy texture wad?

I recently downloaded a great texture wad for Quake that basically uses colored placeholder textures of various dimensions and sizes that can be used while blocking out a level. Is there something similar for Doom?

Already tried that one. It's not even really placeholder textures but rather it's just grayscale versions of some other textures. The Quake dummy textures I use are solid color with white outlines and the correct size and dimensions.

10 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Already tried that one. It's not even really placeholder textures but rather it's just grayscale versions of some other textures. The Quake dummy textures I use are solid color with white outlines and the correct size and dimensions.

How many different dummy textures do you use? Should be easy enough to build something like that, if there's not too many.

There's a fair few actually. But yea you are right in that making them yourself is probably not that hard but it would still probably take some time so I decided to simply ask first if such textures already existed as was the case with Quake.

Thank you!

Here was the next best thing I could find for Doom:

https://realm667.com/index.php/en/component/docman/?task=doc_download&gid=924&Itemid=

It's still not on par with what GoldSRC/Source Engine WADs are out there for dev textures. I figure the reason something like that doesn't exist is generally speaking Doom maps are far simpler to design and it's ultimately easy enough to start texturing right away.

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to bust out a few stand in dev textures of standard dimensions, though.

Fuck it. I am just making one for Doom myself. I am using them in high res though so that it's easier to read at a glance what dimensions they are so they only work for zdoom. Perhaps I will share the finished thing with the rest of you if there is any interest in it.

So far the following has been made:

4x4 in 4 colors

2x2 in 4 colors

1x1 in 4 colors

0.5x.0.5x in 4 colors

1 switch texture in 1 color

1 tile texture in 2 colors

1 platform texture in 1 color

2 liquid texture (one for safe liquids and one for harmful ones) in 2 separate colors

1 door texture in 1 color (will create a second one for smaller doors soon) 

To be honest I'm not sure if much else is needed since these aren't intended to be anything more than just placeholders anyway.

8H6RgNE.png

8 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

So far the following has been made:

4x4 in 4 colors

2x2 in 4 colors

1x1 in 4 colors

0.5x.0.5x in 4 colors

1 switch texture in 1 color

1 tile texture in 2 colors

1 platform texture in 1 color

2 liquid texture (one for safe liquids and one for harmful ones) in 2 separate colors

1 door texture in 1 color (will create a second one for smaller doors soon) 

So judging from your screenshot, 4x4 is 128x128 mapunits/pixels if using the original resolution for doom textures?

Unless you plan to use custom textures made for these sizes in particular, you should definitely have one for 64x128 (w,h) textures, since that is probably the most common texture size in Doom. In my opinion it would be more clear to name them directly according to the mapunit sizes, unless you have some specific need to use this 32x32 scale.

3 hours ago, Worst said:

Unless you plan to use custom textures made for these sizes in particular, you should definitely have one for 64x128

What for? A 64x64 dummy texture will fit there just the same. If you put a 64x64 on a spot and then align it properly then a 64x128 texture would fit perfectly just the same if you added one there later. There is really no reason to overthink things with dummy textures. I mean in Quake literally every texture is a square.

51 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

If you put a 64x64 on a spot and then align it properly then a 64x128 texture would fit perfectly just the same if you added one there later.

Yeah, but then you have to align the 64x64 textures as if they were 64x128, because if you simply align the 64x64 textures so that they seem to line up, you might end up with something like this happening:

Spoiler

PMyEypw.pnghLEZRnQ.png

While on the other hand, if you had 64x128 dummy textures, you could more clearly see if their offsets line up as you want:

Spoiler

towSRRk.pngYbbiXRj.png

But yeah, I agree that you don't need to worry too much about this, since editors let you easily auto-align textures both horizontally and vertically.

Not bad, but personally I'd rather have the dimensions of the texture for the sidedefs (in this case, 128x128) as opposed to "4x4."

4x4 what? Lost Souls?

38 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Not bad, but personally I'd rather have the dimensions of the texture for the sidedefs (in this case, 128x128) as opposed to "4x4."

4x4 what? Lost Souls?

Texture artists/game devs don't describe textures as 128x128, 64x64 etc anymore because those describe the actual resolution of the textures from the original Doom themselves rather than their dimensions. Obviously modern textures aren't using these resolutions. This is why now when people make textures they use 4x4, 2x2, 1x1 etc instead. Not sure why people think this is tougher to understand compared to putting the actual resolution on the texture (which btw takes more space forcing the letters to be slammer and thus harder to read). If anything it's actually easier to read at a glance.

1 minute ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Texture artists/game devs don't typically describe textures as 128x128, 64x64 etc because those describe the actual resolution of the textures themselves rather than their dimensions. Obviously modern textures aren't using these resolutions. This is why now when people make textures they use 4x4, 2x2, 1x1 etc instead. Not sure why people think this is tougher to understand. If anything it's actually easier to read at a glance.

Got to remember who your audience is though. That's great if you're designing textures for other texture artists, but who's your primary audience here?

People who probably are NOT texture artists.

I'd argue it's more helpful to a Doom mapper to know what size of texture is supposed to go where.

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

Got to remember who your audience is though. That's great if you're designing textures for other texture artists, but who's your primary audience here?

People who probably are NOT texture artists.

I'd argue it's more helpful to a Doom mapper to know what size of texture is supposed to go where.

Well I originally started making these for myself and merely entertained the idea of then releasing them for other people if they are interested in the textures. And I map for other games than just Doom so I would like the textures to be multi-purpose.

See, that changes the calculus, because now you're using them for multiple engines, not just Doom - so then it's more justified.

Realistically speaking it'd be trivial for someone to take those textures and just edit the text. You've left more than enough space on the texture, and they're practically single-color, so it's pretty trivial to just clone stamp the text out and put new text in.

One small suggestion: Consider an off-colored dot at the corners of the texture. Will help with visually lining things up really well, and then replacing a texture is literally selecting your linedef and replacing - alignment's already "done."

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

See, that changes the calculus, because now you're using them for multiple engines, not just Doom - so then it's more justified.

Realistically speaking it'd be trivial for someone to take those textures and just edit the text. You've left more than enough space on the texture, and they're practically single-color, so it's pretty trivial to just clone stamp the text out and put new text in.

One small suggestion: Consider an off-colored dot at the corners of the texture. Will help with visually lining things up really well.

By off colored dot do you mean like a triangle at upper right corner of each texture that's white/not colored?

More or less. Something that easily contrasts with whatever the color of the actual tile is (so basically, the negative color).

I was figuring just the pixel in each corner (since it's definitely important to clearly mark where they'll line up). A triangle could work well too but it also takes up space, and with how you've got a "border" for yours, you definitely will not want to eat into that too much.

Tbh I will probably end up remaking all the textures I have made so far (which did not take very long to make anyway). This originally started as a throwaway concept but now I am legit interested in making some more fancy dummy textures. There are some problems with the current ones anyway such as the beveling/shading effect not being perfectly aligned at the center. You can expect an update later today with some new textures.

EDIT: This is what I have in mind:

4725571038c08353f8a75f1cd7a51bc02a1c00e3

Edited by hardcore_gamer

All one really needs is one image for walls (128x64) and one image for floors/ceilings (64x64).

A while back I made these images and included variations in colors for different f/c heights and walls

a2RtEUx.png