Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tea Monster

Spider Mastermind Model Released for Doomsday

Those of you who like these things should be happy to know that we have just released the Spider Mastermind for Doomsday. You will need the latest unstable build to get him to stomp around and try to kill you. 

Cho41DW.jpg

X9fTXXT.jpg

LFdVWpi.jpg

Get him here: https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp

Note: The source files are also being published so that he can be packed into other source ports. 

It looks great, in the render at least.

It uses PBR materials, right? If that is the case, then lighting is super important and classic Doom doesn't have that kind of lighting.

Thanks Reinchard! We did match up the sprite with the model a few times during production to maintain accuracy. I know what you are seeing and I see it too. I think it's because the thing is in real 3D and proper perspective, the legs look the wrong scale. But we did check. 

T3TU4Zg.jpg

DooM_RO - All our models were textured using PBR materials. Currently, Doomsday dosen't use PBR, but they do use what is called 'Next-Gen' materials, so it uses normal, specular and gloss maps to give it a good, modern appearance in game. If not quite up to PBR standard, it will still look like a modern game model. The program we use to texture models (Substance Painter) allows you to output different material sets based on what engine you are using. So we just chuck out what Doomsday uses. Doomsday will eventually get proper PBR-metallic materials, and we will just re-issue the model with those textures when the renderer is ready. 

GZDoom now uses PBR-metallic materials, We don't have the time to configure and test on multiple different ports, but we have issued our source creation files so that others can transfer our models to other ports. We reached out to the GZDoom community to see if someone will do this. KuriKai has even uploaded the PBR-metallic material files up to GitHub for the Pinky Demon to use as a test case. We wait and see what happens!

What are the perks of using Doomsday rather than Gzdoom since the later also has 3D model support?

EDIT: The spidermastermind looks too much like a toy to be honest. But then again the original sprites were never intended to be 3D and look somewhat cartoonish to begin with.

@hardcore_gamer

I don't believe gzdoom supports fbx model formats. Also doomsday has advanced model animation support, supporting triggers, many different sequences, scripting for models, bone support.

These models are not tied to the tradition sprite animation tics, it it done in sequences instead, therefore allows much better animation.

54 minutes ago, KuriKai said:

@hardcore_gamer

I don't believe gzdoom supports fbx model formats. Also doomsday has advanced model animation support, supporting triggers, many different sequences, scripting for models, bone support.

These models are not tied to the tradition sprite animation tics, it it done in sequences instead, therefore allows much better animation.

Interesting. Still, as interesting as those things sound (I am currently working on a mod/game that uses 3D models) Gzdoom is such a feature rich port that I am very reluctant to switch to Doomsday. Not to mention that zdoom wiki is full of information. I would rather just wait until Gzdoom gets similar features which I am hoping will happen at some point.

EDIT: How often is Doomsday even being updated? I honestly thought it was dead. I don't think I have downloaded it at all for years.

EDIT 2: If Doomsday is so graphically advanced then are there plans for PBR support similar to Gzdoom?

Doomsday has recently become quite active. They now have multiplayer and the beginnings of a very good, modern renderer. PBR is on the cards in the future. 

@hardcore_gamer

You really should adjust your attitude.

[edit]We are not here to say which port is better. We are here to say we have released a new model. that can be used in doomsday.

Though... Doomsday is far from dead. there are new builds almost daily http://api.dengine.net/1/builds

Skjyake also posts blogs about upcoming features http://dengine.net/recent_posts

for the post about it being graphically advanced http://blog.dengine.net/2018/07/further-rendering-explorations-part-2/ (though it's internal build of his only at the moment

That's fine for you to wait for gzdoom to support it. That's why we release the sources on github so people can fork it and contribute to the dhmp and help make it work on gzdoom.

Just like I had help getting the DHTP pack to build for gzdoom after gzdoom finally supported hires textures(even if it's not to everyones tastes)

edit: Give the pack a go in doomsday, and tell us what you think and how we can improve it :)

11 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Doesn't GZDoom support 3D models? AFAIK it supports PBR.

Certain kinds of them, namely MD2, MD3, Doomsday DMD, 3D (which is actually Unreal Engine 1 format) and Wavefront OBJ as of 3.6.0.

So yes, getting these into GZDoom would be fairly trivial - essentially drop them in and write up a MODELDEF AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

Certain kinds of them, namely MD2, MD3, Doomsday DMD, 3D (which is actually Unreal Engine 1 format) and Wavefront OBJ as of 3.6.0.

So yes, getting these into GZDoom would be fairly trivial - essentially drop them in and write up a MODELDEF AFAIK.

Doomsday have much better animation support I hear because it supports fbx models among other things. Gzdoom requires that you use hacky ways to animate models before then converting the animations to MD3. This is why I am really hoping support for more model formats in Gzdoom will be added in the future.

41 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Doomsday have much better animation support I hear because it supports fbx models among other things. Gzdoom requires that you use hacky ways to animate models before then converting the animations to MD3. This is why I am really hoping support for more model formats in Gzdoom will be added in the future.

Then as usual it's up to either someone contributing code to add them in, or hoping that it's on some dev's radar. It took quite awhile to get full Doom 64-style lighting support, for example.

On 12/7/2018 at 9:26 AM, Reinchard said:

Is it me or he is looking too small? Don't know, maybe is just an illusion

Anyway, best 3d Mastermind I see so far.

Spider.png

@Reinchard isn't it the famous "always coming back" 20% vertical scale ? (sprites being scaled up in 3D, mesh modeled after sprite image should be also scaled up 20%)
@Tea Monster  : seems quite close indeed, excepted the texturing which is a bit too blurrry and contrasted.
Did you do your animations on top of the sprites own animations too ?
I'd love to play with your mesh and textures to do some experiments ^_^.

I love the model, but i'm having a moment like Arnold in Predator, when he sees the predators face and just says "your one ugly mother fucker". I'm having that moment with the model, but in good terms.

@hidfan

Animations were doing by looking at the sprite sheet, and studying the animations of the spidermastermind. Tweaks were done to the animation because the spider mastermind has a bone structure and parts of the body shouldn't really go through each other.

Feel free to have a play with the mesh and textures, the models are here https://github.com/KuriKai/dhmp

somebody please make a hyperrealistic spidermaster mind upscale quality gif incase if they are using kinda modern computer but i am aware if this is almost like doom95/98 sourceport but close though its current doom sourceports. such as gzdoom. well some iwads can be installed or copied from the cd roms and floppies though. but the graphics will be usual from the 90s though since we got some new technology monitors and projectors machines. but some requires either dll files or something. but not all of them.