Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Mortal Kombat 11

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I saw that ninja edit! Listen, imma let you finish but just hear out my compelling points: SF2 IS THE GREATEST FIGHTING GAME OF ALL TIME. OF ALL TIME!!

lol :)

I edited that out because I'm not entirely sure what my favourite fighting game is. I can say that it's pretty close between Street Fighter 4 and KOF 98. I also haven't played Fist of the North Star, Cyberbots, Blazblue, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, MK9, Marvel vs Capcom 3, as well as many others, so take that however you will. 

As influential and legendary as SF2 is, I find that Street Fighter 4 improved upon it in pretty much every way possible other than the music. Boxer and Zangief weren't really all that fun to play as in SF2, but they were two of my favourites in Street Fighter 4. Alpha 3 is also pretty incredible, though I never did get the hang of stringing custom combos together.

Edited by Ajora

1 hour ago, Maser said:

MK Trilogy was the best MK ever. 

I know for a fact the trilogy had a sound design I'm never going to forget, those games were just so much fun thanks to it :D .

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

MK9

Pick up the wallet and buy it already 👊.

5 minutes ago, Agent6 said:

I know for a fact the trilogy had a sound design I'm never going to forget, those games were just so much fun thanks to it :D .

Pick up the wallet and buy it already 👊.

My computer can't quite run it, otherwise, I would have purchased it when it came out. I had no issues maxing out Street Fighter 4 on my toaster, but the netcode for Games for Windows LIVE was crap. I've heard bad things about MK9's netcode in general, and I'd imagine there aren't many people playing it right now. I much prefer playing fighting games with human opponents rather than robots. 

2 hours ago, Rimantas said:

Guys, have you heard of Beats of Rage (OpenBOR)?

'
I have a Beats of Rage version for the Dreamcast and its very fun!

I will definitely have fun with MK11, but I will wait until it has its special edition released where you get bonus characters for free. I did that for 9 and 10. I actually had to buy a different controller for MK9 because I don't like the Xbox 360 d-pad.

Anyone else get the physical release of Killer Instinct (new) for the Xbox One? That is fun although I think they made a lot of the combos too easy. With my old reflexes I can barely do a good combo in Killer Instinct Gold, so I shouldn't be able to do massive ones in Killer Instinct (new).

On the subject of MK9, there's two memorable moments.  One is that I couldn't believe how much I was raging at the Challenge Tower.  Second, was playing online against DarkSydePhil and fucking his shit up.  Didn't even know about the guy at the time until I later saw the Retsupurae  video about him and then it made it even better. 

2 hours ago, Maser said:

On the subject of MK9, there's two memorable moments.  One is that I couldn't believe how much I was raging at the Challenge Tower.  Second, was playing online against DarkSydePhil and fucking his shit up.  Didn't even know about the guy at the time until I later saw the Retsupurae  video about him and then it made it even better. 

Ah yes, the Challenge Tower, that thing was a real nightmare at various points, particularly those challenges against multiple opponents, though you could just cheap your way through in some cases if you didn't want to bother (like the 3 Goros and Shao Kahns). I'm just so glad I made it through the entire tower eventually (what you do when you're a completionist... ), but I definitely don't want to ever see it again lol.

5 hours ago, Immorpher said:

With my old reflexes I can barely do a good combo in Killer Instinct Gold, so I shouldn't be able to do massive ones in Killer Instinct (new).

I'm terrible at doing chain combos in fighting games as well, there's barely any characters I'm able of doing this in MK, notably Noob and Smoke. I'm yet to build a combo higher than 10 hits :v .

11 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I'm terrible at doing chain combos in fighting games as well, there's barely any characters I'm able of doing this in MK, notably Noob and Smoke. I'm yet to build a combo higher than 10 hits :v .

The sad part is when Killer Instinct Gold came out I was doing some huge combos! One of my friends even cried once when I beat his combo. Felt bad about that one. I guess my punishment is not being able to do them again lol.

23 hours ago, Ajora said:

The Mortal Kombat series is great on account of its characters and gory spectacle, but plenty of fighting game series eclipse it in terms of depth, playability and balance. 

Yeah, those are Super Smash Bros and Killer Instinct hehe

As a man who likes the franchise, which is still strong and the creators knew how to reinvent the franchise, the trailer was good and left me a smile but the music should be another one imo. But it doesn't matter much cuz the game shows what it does best, to entertain the players, do the special moves and such. Probably the story will also be good but that's one thing that can be discuss later when the game is out.

15 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Ah yes, the Challenge Tower, that thing was a real nightmare at various points, particularly those challenges against multiple opponents, though you could just cheap your way through in some cases if you didn't want to bother (like the 3 Goros and Shao Kahns). I'm just so glad I made it through the entire tower eventually (what you do when you're a completionist... ), but I definitely don't want to ever see it again lol.

Fuck the 300th floor. Period. That shit took long enough to clear.....well....unless that you're Kratos (in the PS3 version which I played), should be easy and a bit monotonous to do...

23 hours ago, Maser said:

I can agree with that and I should add MK2 since it was so revolutionary at that time with much better gameplay. MK Mythologies is a weird case...I kinda enjoyed it but sometimes, it drags long enough to clear the goddamn level.

Fuck MK Special Forces lol....

23 hours ago, Agent6 said:

Dan Forden's MK sound is equally as iconic and influential as Street Fighter 2. The announcer styler probably laid the groundwork for announcer voices in future competitive games like arena shooters and MOBAs (Midway even did a MK crossover for the underrated Unreal Championship 2 on the OG Xbox). Then there's the rest of the voicework with the completely over the top grunts and screams, as well as instead of shouting the names of the moves SF2-style they're instead rambling with complete gibberish. Apart from the original trilogy that's one of the nice things about MK4 as well, where the voicework got even goofier.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:10 PM, Maser said:

I dunno. The overall early-mid 90's arcade cheapness of the original MK games reached a peak with Trilogy. The AI is just so unbelievably cheap, and *consistently* breaks rules the player themselves have to follow. You can NEVER throw the computer (except for airthrows), because the second you try to, the computer will simply throw YOU. Certain time-limit buffers on special moves are removed for the AI. The AI can perform maneuvers that are impossible for the player, such as run underneath you as you're jumping backwards, jump-punch you and immediately follow it up with a combo. Practically the only way to beat the game sometimes is to either repeatedly exploit loopholes in the programming logic, or play as a boss character. There's YT vids of people beating the game on hard in more traditional ways, but it's obvious they've been practicing for years, to the point where they can anticipate pretty much everything the computer will do beforehand.

I particularly liked Scorpions layer in the MK Trilogy soundtrack on the N64, I even ripped it from the game as a kid. The PSX version was probably different, but it bummed me out a bit that the N64 soundtrack as mostly mono.

5 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

I dunno. The overall early-mid 90's arcade cheapness of the original MK games reached a peak with Trilogy. The AI is just so unbelievably cheap, and *consistently* breaks rules the player themselves have to follow. You can NEVER throw the computer (except for airthrows), because the second you try to, the computer will simply throw YOU. Certain time-limit buffers on special moves are removed for the AI. The AI can perform maneuvers that are impossible for the player, such as run underneath you as you're jumping backwards, jump-punch you and immediately follow it up with a combo. Practically the only way to beat the game sometimes is to either repeatedly exploit loopholes in the programming logic, or play as a boss character. There's YT vids of people beating the game on hard in more traditional ways, but it's obvious they've been practicing for years, to the point where they can anticipate pretty much everything the computer will do beforehand.

I've always felt that MK Trilogy was never meant to be a player vs CPU fighting game.  Hence why even on very easy difficulty, it was pretty much unbeatable.  It seemed to encourage player vs player fights.  I swear the amount of hours my 12 year old self and friends played back then was through the roof! 

2 hours ago, Maser said:

I've always felt that MK Trilogy was never meant to be a player vs CPU fighting game.  Hence why even on very easy difficulty, it was pretty much unbeatable.  It seemed to encourage player vs player fights.  I swear the amount of hours my 12 year old self and friends played back then was through the roof! 

It could also be the fact that those were designed for the arcade, and in such a way that the AI would just do whatever it takes to beat you. This of course changed with time when the balancing got much, much better, but in the trilogy the AI starts going full bullshit on you once you approach the top of the ladder, not to mention how cheap the bosses are... (I'm looking at you Kahn and Motaro).

The AI still goes cheap on you in some of the newer games, most notably MK9. Shao Kahn is just an asshole on anything higher than Medium, from my experience on your first attempt(s) he almost always spams some of his attacks, but it "dumbs down" eventually. Whenever he's in the mood for spamming I just pick my Saibot and spam the teleport attack, taste your own medicine, doc.

@Caffeine Freak You can cheap your way through when they turn into a bitch though, if you lack the skill of doing it traditionally. Certain attacks simply stunlock them.

3 hours ago, Maser said:

Hence why even on very easy difficulty, it was pretty much unbeatable.

no...no....no lol

MKT AI is so predictable, like in MK2 and UMK3

In fact, MK2 AI on the hardest difficulty is kinda the easiest while the easiest difficulty has some erratic behavior but it's still doable. Same for UMK3.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Noob Saibot in UMK3 (SNES version) and MKT is easily the cheapest character ever!!!

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

That seems to be correct even in the most recent games, from my experience.

Don't jump too much in them, Mileena and Quan Chi love their teleports, and Kano his ball rolling.

Boring trailer that shows nothing new, seems like a promise of the same straightforward gameplay with even more sleep-worthy finishing moves (read: cutscenes)

So, since we were on the topic of the AI going bollocks in the old MK games:

8 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

LOL.....that's not the way to do it....with another cheap character as Smoke...

Yeah :v .

Smoke can stunlock enemies with his fists in this game, and has Scorpion's move set iirc + 1-2 changes. He's amazing in MK9 however.

I'm not as excited for this announcement but it's probably attributed to my experience as a PC player. I did sink many hours into MKX though. Multiplayer was shitty for me thanks to netcode and being in Australia. I also had my arse handed to me more than I care to admit.

Maybe when I see some gameplay it could grab my attention. I hope they added something new and improved the balance.

8 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

no...no....no lol

In fact, MK2 AI on the hardest difficulty is kinda the easiest while the easiest difficulty has some erratic behavior but it's still doable. Same for UMK3.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Noob Saibot in UMK3 (SNES version) and MKT is easily the cheapest character ever!!!

Most fighting game devs at the time really hadn't figured out how to design a fair AI experience either. I think SNK were equally as notorious with their games. It was all about the PvP experience anyway. Funnily enough Midway/Netherrealm went the opposite direction with MK9+ by making them much more accessible and jam-packed with single player/story-focused content, and that has really worked out well for them with making their fighting games much more approachable as a casual experience. Meanwhile, Capcom pivoted hard toward catering exclusively to the esports demographic with Street Fighter 5 to the detriment of the single player content, and that came back to bite them hard.

13 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

no...no....no lol

It seems there's only a few characters that you can use to predict or bait the AI.  For me it was always robot Smoke.  I could always bait the AI to jump right into my teleport uppercut.  Once I got to Motaro and Shao Kahn it was a different story.  All those two assholes do is block everything. 

Not really Maser. In fact, you can bait the AI with any character but few of them are cheaper in, for example, MK2 and UMK3. That I know from experience.

12 hours ago, lazygecko said:

Funnily enough Midway/Netherrealm went the opposite direction with MK9+ by making them much more accessible and jam-packed with single player/story-focused content, and that has really worked out well for them with making their fighting games much more approachable as a casual experience.

I'm personally glad they went in this direction, not ignoring the SP/Story component, MK is more than just over-the-top violence.

And, I'm not interested in the MP side of things anyway, all I'd manage to do is get my ass handed back to me.

I was good at MK: Armageddon, but I was nigh unstoppable at MK3. Kabal was rate busted in vanilla MK3, and I put in the time to master his nuances. I could only ever be touched if I was in a mirror match. I didn't play a lot of UMK3/MKT, but as I understand, he was nerfed in those versions.