Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Mortal Kombat 11

On 12/9/2018 at 9:52 AM, Agent6 said:

So, since we were on the topic of the AI going bollocks in the old MK games:

The early Mortal Kombats had AI was always brutal. The arcade versions of Mortal Kombat were rigged so when you beat someone, the difficulty didn't increase a smidge, it increased drastically higher, until you lost (costing you money), then the difficulty would come down to what it should have been. The AI was also programmed in such a way where the only difference between the lowest and highest difficulties are the AI reaction time.

1 hour ago, geo said:

The early Mortal Kombats had AI was always brutal. The arcade versions of Mortal Kombat were rigged so when you beat someone, the difficulty didn't increase a smidge, it increased drastically higher, until you lost (costing you money), then the difficulty would come down to what it should have been. The AI was also programmed in such a way where the only difference between the lowest and highest difficulties are the AI reaction time.

That's what I've heard as well. It was designed in such a way you'd lose against the AI no matter what you do, as Stryker so brutally (and funny) demonstrated in my clip. It countered his every move. Other characters such as Motaro in UMK3 also have a habit of blocking like maniacs. 

2 hours ago, Agent6 said:

That's what I've heard as well. It was designed in such a way you'd lose against the AI no matter what you do, as Stryker so brutally (and funny) demonstrated in my clip. It countered his every move. Other characters such as Motaro in UMK3 also have a habit of blocking like maniacs. 

I think it was Mortal Kombat 2 that specifically taught me in life that it doesn't matter how you play, it's just winning that matters. So I'd cheap things and wait out the clock against Motaro. A lot of the AI is rock paper scissors, you just need to be fast enough to trick the foes into doing something when you have a window to make use of it.

The PS2 era games are far easier with their dial a combo and 3D terrain.

1 hour ago, geo said:

I think it was Mortal Kombat 2 that specifically taught me in life that it doesn't matter how you play, it's just winning that matters. So I'd cheap things and wait out the clock against Motaro. A lot of the AI is rock paper scissors, you just need to be fast enough to trick the foes into doing something when you have a window to make use of it.

The PS2 era games are far easier with their dial a combo and 3D terrain.

And better AI overall. 

Time to resurrect the thread now that the gameplay reveal event is over.

So a couple of relevant or mostly relevant videos:

I'm still looking forward, this time there's going to be some significant changes to the gameplay, but for now I can't wait to see who else is going to be in the game. Gonna be pretty sad if Reptile, Smoke, and Jade won't be (it will be pretty strange if Jade isn't honestly, considering Kitana is).

15 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Noob Saibot has always been my personal favorite. 

He's also pretty easy to learn too, especially in MK9.

I'm playing fighting games with a keyboard (I don't have money for a controller, and I'm definitely not getting one just for a small number of games), and the combos and special moves have a bit of an awkward key combination for a number of characters, but Noob and Smoke have some of the easiest and most intuitive ones so they're both fairly easy to use efficiently, even after playing with them only for a short period of time. Imagine how devastating they are after you master both.

That and if the AI decides to go full bullshit every now and then you can smack them down easily with a good ol' teleport spam. Quan Chi surely loves his teleport, he's sometimes a bitch if you run into him on higher positions on the arcade ladder, or Kano and his ball rolling :v .

I'm happy to see kabal and Noob back. I'm pretty excited for this. That video completely missed mileena btw.

23 minutes ago, MrGlide said:

That video completely missed mileena btw.

Is that so? Where was she discovered?

I have fond memories of playing the early MK games. they were this hilarious mix of sci-fi, comic books, kung-fu, and excessive gore. that unabashed, shameless aesthetic, combined with the emphasis on special moves and fatalities, really made it what it was. in terms of fighting mechanics, it was acceptable, although obviously not as refined or balanced as Street Fighter or Tekken.

I don't check for many new games, and the use of mumble-rap in that trailer is enough of a red flag imo.

also, the Mortal Kombat movie is a classic.

10 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

I have fond memories of playing the early MK games. they were this hilarious mix of sci-fi, comic books, kung-fu, and excessive gore. that unabashed, shameless aesthetic, combined with the emphasis on special moves and fatalities, really made it what it was. in terms of fighting mechanics, it was acceptable, although obviously not as refined or balanced as Street Fighter or Tekken.

I don't check for many new games, and the use of mumble-rap in that trailer is enough of a red flag imo.

also, the Mortal Kombat movie is a classic.

I think the mechanics were great the way they were, the major problem of the old games was the AI which had the sole purpose of destroying the player, making it outright unfair on higher difficulty.

Gonna watch the MK movie someday, seems many enjoy it, with the exception of the developers. I remember reading that they were not satisfied with it.

That rap is most definitely not going to be in the game, kinda wish people would stop complaining about it. At least this is better than the Steam community page of the game, I advise anyone who wants to keep their sanity against going there, it's an unbelivable shitstorm.

5 hours ago, seed said:

I think the mechanics were great the way they were, the major problem of the old games was the AI which had the sole purpose of destroying the player, making it outright unfair on higher difficulty.

Gonna watch the MK movie someday, seems many enjoy it, with the exception of the developers. I remember reading that they were not satisfied with it.

That rap is most definitely not going to be in the game, kinda wish people would stop complaining about it. At least this is better than the Steam community page of the game, I advise anyone who wants to keep their sanity against going there, it's an unbelivable shitstorm.

the mechanics were not as bad as detractors claim, but they definitely lacked polish. there were various exploits, I remember spamming the backwards jump kick to great effect. and yes, the AI could be downright unfair. the worst example I can think of was this Jade character who had a special move that gave temporary invincibility from projectiles (but was complex to enter), and a huge combo. when controlled by AI, anytime you fired a projectile she ran right through it and unloaded the combo every time. meanwhile, the timing and execution of this would be extremely difficult or impossible for a human to do consistently.

the Mortal Kombat movie is perfect because it's shamelessly cheesy, over-the-top, and full of action. anyone who says it's bad doesn't know kinography when they see it.

My mind is blown, I could have sworn I caw a clip of her fighting Baraka when they announced it but looking back I can't find it, so I suppose not.

Why in the world would you use some of the most flaccid, boring, sleepy-eyed hip hop conceivable when, given the franchise, Wu Tang Clan would have been the obvious choice?

Kabal gameplay reveal, trailer, and D'Vorah confirmed to be in MK11.

Saw that one coming, so I'm not surprised. I hope Kabal is going to be more balanced in MK11, I liked him in MK9 but I must also say he was OP.

The MK movie seems to still be alive too.

Kabal looks cool af. D'Vorah....not so much....she looked much better in MKX.

Kabal's fatality looks kinda similar to Flash's special move in Injustice 2 but gorier of course..

Erron Black potentially confirmed via a leak of Steam's achievement list.

There's also going to be a female character reveal next week.

More characters potentially confirmed through yet another Steam achievements leak.

This is interesting, if both leaks turn out to be accurate. I'm curious what female character will be revealed next week. I'm cautious honestly since the game won't be out until late April 2019 and I doubt we're supposed to know all of this yet.

The Steam leaks seem to be true, so far. Jade is now confirmed to be in the game.

Edited by seed

Still talk about the Mortal Kombat movie. Last I checked was a decade ago when the web series came out and people felt there would be a new movie, but nope... the IP holder came out to say there won't be a new movie, as I still have the exclusive rights to keep doing nothing with it.

I thought Noob Sailboat was just Noob now that Tobias left. Anyway, yeah the voice is clearly Dr. Claw. I could have done the voice.

It's great the actor who played Shang Tsung in the movie... plays the voice... for the DLC.

Looks like story wise they went back to the well of resetting the tournament... because it's an anchor to keep the series rooted in the 90s or growing past nostalgia.

49 minutes ago, geo said:

Still talk about the Mortal Kombat movie. Last I checked was a decade ago when the web series came out and people felt there would be a new movie, but nope... the IP holder came out to say there won't be a new movie, as I still have the exclusive rights to keep doing nothing with it.

Shame the Legacy series never continued past season 2,if only we knew the reason behind that decision. Last I checked there wasn't any clear one.

But the movie is still happening, don't see anything indicating otherwise, the script was even completed recently.

Am I the only one who thinks the graphics are a step down from MKX? It's like they tried to go back to the MK9 style, but did a half-ass job. Not that it matters, but I liked the darker tone of MKX.

I'm sure the fighting will be dope and make up for that though.

7 minutes ago, R4L said:

Am I the only one who thinks the graphics are a step down from MKX? It's like they tried to go back to the MK9 style, but did a half-ass job. Not that it matters, but I liked the darker tone of MKX.

I'm sure the fighting will be dope and make up for that though.

Nah, the graphics are definitely an improvement. What seems to be worse though are the damage models.

Ever since MK9 they started toning down the visible damage you inflict upon the adversaries, for some unknown reason. X-Rays and even regular attacks really left a mark in MK9, now, not so much.

3 hours ago, seed said:

Shame the Legacy series never continued past season 2,if only we knew the reason behind that decision. Last I checked there wasn't any clear one.

But the movie is still happening, don't see anything indicating otherwise, the script was even completed recently.

The movie has been happening 10 years now to the point it might be someone else's movie instead of the guy that got Michael Jai White and Jeri Ryan.

I only saw the first season, but now that you've reminded me, I'll watch the second season. A lot of people had no idea there was a second season, it just happened.

As for the graphics, I'm still amazed what they can do with their Unreal 3 engine. X-Rays were good enough to be fatalities on their own and like every forced animation in every video game, they can get old.