Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

How should I contribute to the Doom community?

@Edward850

-rw-rw-r-- 2 idgmaint idgames 8828347 Dec 15 10:35 ./levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bldgesc.zip

-rw-rw-r-- 2 idgmaint idgames 2439 Dec 15 10:35 ./levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bldgesc.txt

So, when will it get on to moving it there? I checked that subdirectory in the /idgames archive and I did not see it there.

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

That's just a frontend. It updates on cycle independent of the FTP.

Oh. Well, for the one person who actually wanted to play what I made, they're gonna have to wait a while before it comes out to the public.

Why don't you just send them that link? It's already public. I feel like you have greatly misunderstood how /idgames works and what it even is. You can already download the mod.

21 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Why don't you just send them that link? It's already public. I feel like you have greatly misunderstood how /idgames works and what it even is. You can already download the mod.

Look, I just really want people to see it on the Doomworld /idgames archive! That's been my greatest dream since day one!

53 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Look, I just really want people to see it on the Doomworld /idgames archive! That's been my greatest dream since day one!

It takes time, calm down and be patient! You're already accepted, you just have to wait until it hits the /idgames page itself. This can take a few days but will happen.

Also, idgames isn't the "one true" archive for Doom WADs or whatever, a lot of people just put them on their Dropbox or whatever, especially mods that are still being developed.

Okay, so I decided to download this and see what you've made.

As soon as I started, I was jumpscared by the music, which is about 4x louder than the default Doom music, which I usually have on the loud side anyway. I literally jumped on the spot and threw my headphones off, which in turn cracked my ass up, so thank you for the entertainment even if it was unintentional.

Visually, I was greeted with a bright red screen and couldn't see anything, then I was dead. There was really not much to it. I'm NOT saying this to discourage you though, you should continue to improve your mapping, but just consider what the player will think when they go into it. Take a look at some of your favorite maps and see what it is they do differently. Good luck!

4 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Okay, so I decided to download this and see what you've made.

As soon as I started, I was jumpscared by the music, which is about 4x louder than the default Doom music, which I usually have on the loud side anyway. I literally jumped on the spot and threw my headphones off, which in turn cracked my ass up, so thank you for the entertainment even if it was unintentional.

Visually, I was greeted with a bright red screen and couldn't see anything, then I was dead. There was really not much to it. I'm NOT saying this to discourage you though, you should continue to improve your mapping, but just consider what the player will think when they go into it. Take a look at some of your favorite maps and see what it is they do differently. Good luck!

There are goggles nearby. And I was not trying to scare anyone.

That's it? After one failure, you're done? Come on man. Use this as a learning opportunity to make a better map next time. There's plenty of tutorials available online. You can ask questions on the editing forum here. Don't let one shitty release stop you from making another map. Hell, why not try making a tiny gameplay mod instead of a map? That could be something you can possibly excel at.

1 minute ago, Lizardcommando said:

That's it? After one failure, you're done? Come on man. Use this as a learning opportunity to make a better map next time. There's plenty of tutorials available online. You can ask questions on the editing forum here. Don't let one shitty release stop you from making another map. Hell, why not try making a tiny gameplay mod instead of a map? That could be something you can possibly excel at.

My map looks a lot worse than the entirety of UACMN. And UACMN was godawful. My reputation is permanently ruined after releasing something that is a lot worse than UACMN. The only thing I can do now is quit trying.

If one friendly (yet negative) review is enough for you to toss in your hat maybe it’s best you wait a bit. Develop a realistic expectation for how people will react to your map.

You’re not going to be winning cacowards after an hour of tinkering in Doom builder. Releasing a shitty map doesn’t ruin your reputation either, however seeking attention through a “that’s it! I’m done!!” kind of display can definitely tarnish your reputation.

Youre going to have to put some time into your work if you want it to get good reviews. Or hell, you can just map for yourself and say screw all the standards. Just don’t expect praise unless you’ve made something cool, and even then don’t expect praise. Im telling you this as someone who remembers what it’s like to be a mapping newbie.

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

If one friendly (yet negative) review is enough for you to toss in your hat maybe it’s best you wait a bit. Develop a realistic expectation for how people will react to your map.

You’re not going to be winning cacowards after an hour of tinkering in Doom builder. Releasing a shitty map doesn’t ruin your reputation either, however seeking attention through a “that’s it! I’m done!!” kind of display can definitely tarnish your reputation.

Youre going to have to put some time into your work if you want it to get good reviews. Or hell, you can just map for yourself and say screw all the standards. Just don’t expect praise unless you’ve made something cool, and even then don’t expect praise. Im telling you this as someone who remembers what it’s like to be a mapping newbie.

But what if I make a map that is actually good later on and I look back at my pile of garbage known as Building Escape and say "Ugh, my first map looks embarrassing."? I do not want that happening!

That's EXACTLY how I feel looking back at all of my old artwork I ever made. I still cringe hard looking at my old Lizard War and ICD-Lizard Doom mods and my crappy flash movies I made back in high school years ago. Look at it this way, when you do look back and think to yourself "Wow, I really came a long way from that old crappy thing.", it's a sign that you've improved. Whatever mistakes you've made making your first maps or mods, learn from those mistakes. 

1 minute ago, Lizardcommando said:

That's EXACTLY how I feel looking back at all of my old artwork I ever made. I still cringe hard looking at my old Lizard War and ICD-Lizard Doom mods and my crappy flash movies I made back in high school years ago. Look at it this way, when you do look back and think to yourself "Wow, I really came a long way from that old crappy thing.", it's a sign that you've improved. Whatever mistakes you've made making your first maps or mods, learn from those mistakes. 

But if my future maps are good, that doesn't mean that people are going to forget about Building Escape! Building Escape's chilling legacy will live on to haunt my future maps, no matter if they're the best thing since sliced bread. And that's why I'm not mapping anymore.

Well from the sounds of it, it's already too late for you to never make a shitty map (welcome to the club) so I don't see why you're stressing yourself about trying not to make any maps that could possibly turn out badly. Everybody that maps makes bad maps when they start out; it's a product of not knowing what you're doing, but something that will be overcome as you grow as a doomer/mapper.

That said, you'll never make a good map later on if you don't make a few attempts first. Key word being attempt, meaning you actually need to try, as well as recognize that with all your effort youre currently capable of it still may miss the mark you wanted to hit, or any marks at all. That's just the way it goes; it's a learning process and you'll never stop learning as long as you have a passion for it. Treat your first maps as small, throwaway projects so you can focus only on garnering as much experience and knowledge as you can. Also, play other people's maps to see what they did and how they did it, as well as what they didn't do.

As Doomkid said, nobody will judge you for a bad map or three when you're new, but they will judge you for the way you personally act, so if you're worried about your nonexistent reputation (as you're still very new here) try to learn to take advice from others (wrt mapping and posting). Signs of growth, success, and caring are the most sure-fire ways to improve or build a reputation here.

Tl;dr: get mapping, grow up, and stop looking for attention.

Dude, Paul Thrussel made the MOST FAMOUS shitty map ever, wow.wad, and even with that he still went on to make some really sweet wads. No one gave a shit that he made a really bad map, it was just a funny piece of history. It’s really not the albatross around your neck you seem to think it is.