Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2018 - 25 Years of Doom

I can tell you guys now, you wont have to wait long for eviternity now (its on the list of 'what are we waiting for') since it releases in just a few hours!

Also, big congrats to @YukiRaven You may not have won an award this year, but the runner up trophy shows that you are still amazingly talented and capable of making works of art.

1 hour ago, Gaia74 said:

and blighted moon base don't won :"v

I know right!? It should have won all of them!

thanks! and congrats to the other winners

if you're bored, here's a minor bit of fiction to celebrate doom's 25th and hopefully many more

DATA COHERENCY TAGS NF3521.75427, SEGMENT: "RED"
Community Chest 737B

Greetings fellows of the 37th Doomworld Community;
As you all may know, there are many unanswered questions about the early centuries of the Doom Cultural Artifact.
In particular, there has been significant debate about whether it would've been possible at all for 20th-21st century baseline humans using the technology of the time to create Doom itself or the early "megawads" such as Sunlust, Eternal Doom, Whispers of Satan, Ancient Aliens, Speed of Doom, Skulltag, and Heretic. It's thought that these ancient visionaries used tools like Doom Builder, DEU, XWE, DeHacked, or even EdMap to "draw" maps by hand. Humans of the era barely had anything resembling a modern understanding of mathematics, geometry, or art.
Many modern scholars conclude that creating those megawads would be impossible without tools such as rapid hyperbolic shape prediction or correlative nonlinear psychogeometric interweaving. The inevitable conclusion is that the megawads are actually either from a later era and mislabeled (either by data corruption, or hoax), or that they had assistence from extraterrestrial non-humans. Work by authors such as BCCCCEEET XIV42 suggests that these non-humans were the often mentioned but still-unidentified "Masters of Doom". Herric, Nivelia, et al; have suggested that these early megawads were actually created by several generations of authors who passed their names along hereditarily, citing research into "Mordeth Episode 2".

Archaeologists on the 7th moon of Epsilon Eridani C recently rediscovered a partial fragment of an antiquated 37th century hypercarbon optical storage media. This device contained, among other things, fragments of a backup of the now-lost /idgames archive. We have access to several early 21st century mapping tools, including Doom Builder and SLADE, as well as some source ports from the era.
As you may know, twelve hexadecades ago the exploration team lead by JRRHRH ᐑᐑᐰᐻᐑ-SMITH ran an expedition based on recovered designs of the ancient Apollo system in order to prove that 20th century humans may have actually been able to visit Luna (before its merging with the CHAL_TA12, of course).
In the same manner, in honor of the 25000th anniversary of the Doom Cultural Artifact we will be running Community Chest 737B using tools recovered from that archive. While this isn't a scientific endeavor, but more something we would like to have some fun with, it would still provide us with some valuable insight into the past.

We have several unanswered and hotly debated questions that we may explore here:
- Who exactly were the Masters of Doom?
- Was Doom first released on the PC or on the 3DO?
- What was the religious significance of the choice of 32 maps? There must've been some reason that number is repeated so much throughout the history of the Doom Cultural Artifact.
- Some sources suggest that "Tom Hall" and "Shawn Green" were in fact two different entities. Is this possible?
- What were the sources of some of the misconceptions of the original authors of Doom? For example, placing demons on Mars (the ancient name for the Sol-orbiting planet we now know as [][][]) and its satellites, despite there already being ample evidence of the existence of the demons orbiting KIC8462852 at the time.
- Did the people of the time really believe that supernatural faeries named "sprites" were controlling the graphical representation of the game? Was this a metaphor? If so, for what exactly?
- Did the "Hall of Mirrors" bug truly draw its name from a real place?
- What was it like to experience the levels linearly?
- How historically accurate to real spaces were maps such as "Downtown", "The Factory", or "The Chasm"?
- How exactly did the two Wolfenstein 3D maps accidentally end up in the Doom 2 release?
- Which was the correct canonical sequel to Doom 2: Quake or Daikatana? Of course, there are also the unlicensed sequels "Hexen" and "Doom 3", but these aren't taken seriously by modern academics.
- Was work on MAP26: Bloodfalls ever completed? If so, does a complete version still exist somewhere?
- How exactly did The Carmack manage to use 20th century technology to clone John Romero in order to decapitate him for use as the Icon of Sin graphic?

Rules:
- Please, if you have had contact with a 7th or 8th order mimetic virus in the past century, I must ask you to refrain from submitting a map. This is to protect the safety of other participants as well as potential players and demo-watchers.
- You must use an editor from before the year 2021, such as Doom Builder.
- Your map must be able to run in the Eternity Engine, PRBoom+, or Chocolate Doom source ports we have recovered. It is thought that "ZDoom" was the definitive source port of the era, but we have not been able to replicate hardware that can run it.
- We only have access to a handful of era-appropriate resource wads, they will be linked below.
- Your map must not require greater than polynomial time to complete. Even without the goals of this project, it would be nice to take a break from the factorial-time maps that have been so popular recently.
- You must limit yourself to seven (7) personality-timeline forks in order to work on this project. I do not expect anyone to limit themselves to baseline, but we must try our best at least.
- For the most part, you are not required to try to imitate the style of the era. This would be understandably impossible. Feel free to use influences from more recent ideas like post-parallelism, hyper-representationalism, pre-Collapse sphereism, and the Kuiper Belt school. Our ancient precursors stayed true to their influences, so must we.
- Some have expressed a desire to attempt to "role-play" as entities of the 20-21st centuries. This is not explicitly against the rules. However, I must remind the community that this type of behavior is what lead to the schism that sent the last of the sentient butterflies on their ill-fated migration to the Phoenix Dwarf Galaxy.

I really should be working on a paper for university right now.

I should be studying for all the exams I need to write in the next three days.

Naw, reading all of this won't take that long...

28 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

What? No Phobos mention at all?

Phobos? what is Phobos? if it didnt get a mention it probably wasn't really looked over in time?

Just now, Phade102 said:

Phobos? what is Phobos? if it didnt get a mention it probably wasn't really looked over in time?

That Doom 3 unofficial expansion that has been in development for over 14 years. Basically the Black Mesa of Doom 3.

1 minute ago, DooM_RO said:

That Doom 3 unofficial expansion that has been in development for over 14 years. Basically the Black Mesa of Doom 3.

Oh...Maybe it was released past the deadline?

Wow, so many great mods have been released this year. I haven't really been following along with the happenings of the Doom community this past year and I'm sad that I haven't had the chance to play many of these maps and mods, but I gotta say that I am always really impressed with what keeps being released. I can't believe Doom is 25 years old and the community is still alive and kicking.

Also, I had no idea ALMN had passed away this past year. That really sucks :(. I remembered seeing him on Skulltag and Zandronum quite often back in the day. 

Congrats to all the winners and runners up. I'm a little disapointed that "Tangerine nightmare" didn't make it some way or another but i guess the competition this year was really tough haha

Congrats @antares031 for winning a cacoward with struggle, you most certainly deserve it for the effort alone :D 

I still need to finish it myself but yeah, from what ive played of it, it was really fun

Finally, thank you for mentioning me as a runners up, it means so much to me. Now, i will strive even further. Unfortunately, i have no plans (yet) on a potential sequel to MOTM considering i believe i've made what i wanted with this series but yeah, who knows haha. 

Anyhow, terrific cacowards this year :)

Nice to see a few new faces on the writing team too.

Edited by Yugiboy85

Congrats to all the stalwart Champions.

1 hour ago, IMX said:

The cake looks weird this year.

By now the cake is 25 years old xD

Many congratulations to all the winners, what an absolutely outstanding year for Doom! So many worthy winners and worthy runners up, everyone involved should feel rightly proud of themselves.

Absolutely brilliant write-up too, it was a joy to read and it felt like it covered such a massive breadth of Doom content.  It is no surprise the Cacowards is such a respected institution, and this year was no exception! Very well done. 

Well done to everyone involved in this list. You've done fantastic work. Thank you for taking the time to write this and/or make maps that have appeared here.

While going through the list from 100 to 1, I was wondering to myself which maps I would put on a memorable top 100 list. While I'd probably never create one, I'm happy to see so many of my own choices here like Void, Dead.Wire, the final map of Equinox, and the Mancubian Candidate. And those are just the few I can remember off the top of my head. Of course, I quietly hoped to myself that my favourite map I've ever made and would never forget would end up on this list, and I was overjoyed that it did.

@Demon of the Well, and anybody else involved, thank you so much. I intend to make a map that offers an even more striking cinematic crescendo, and I'll keep this in the back of my head the entire time.

EDIT: Just realized in all the confusion I posted this in the wrong thread, but same congratulations apply to the cacoward winners!

Edited by Pieruskwurje

Happy birthday, Doom!  A big congratulations to all the winners and runner-ups, and of course thanks to the Cacoward team (past and present) for yet another awesome installment.

I think it's time you people add "This would've won a Cacoward three years ago" category, by the way. The competition just keeps getting tougher lol

Congrats to all winners, runner-ups and the write-ups! This has been a year full of awesome releases, the quality of the inputs keeps getting higher and it's harder to group all the releases into a small list! I'm glad Struggle made to the list since it was one of my favorites megawads!

Personally, I can't believe that Exomoon has reached among the runner-ups haha Thanks a lot for the write-up Not-Jabba! I'm glad the wad's story worked well! Thanks a lot for mentioning its soundtrack too!

Edited by Deadwing

I can’t believe it.

One of the first custom maps I’ve ever played (other than the notorious nuts.wad) was The City Of The Damned – Apocalypse. Exploring that incredibly atmospheric  map made me realize how great the engine was and how much you could achieve with some imagination. A fellow friend of mine, Duke_Nume (which you might remember as the maker of some Golden Souls 1 guest maps) taught me the basics of Doom Builder 2.

After that, I’ve made a couple of maps and tried to make a megawad called “Gore”, it was inspired by Tormentor667’s maps and Happy Time Circus. I had plenty of ideas but the end result was not very good, so I ended up abandoning it.

In 2011, Duke asked me if I wanted to join him for a project called Serious Sam: The Retro Encounter,  a TC based on Croteam’s glorious franchise. After months of work we made a complete multiplayer experience, with the plan of adding single player maps later after completing all the assets, but the first release  was met with mixed results, and we quickly lost interest.

Serious Sam 3 released in the same year,and because of the hype for that game I’ve decided to pick up the project again and remake it from scratch. Duke wasn’t in the team anymore as an active developer but he still helped by giving me advice and playtesting everything.

I’ve continued working on this remake for two years, and then since I was getting pretty slow at mapping I decided to work on something else to blow off some steam, so I came up with the idea of a bright, cheery mapset inspired by a previous test map I made which was set in an Aztec garden and had a relaxing purple-pinkish sky.

The mapset would be known as Golden Souls a couple of months later, and was announced in 2013 after New Year’s Eve. The idea of having a hub was, curiously, not directly inspired by Mario 64, but by another mod I was playing at that time, Unloved. I really appreciated how BlueEagle managed to capture this feeling of exploring an interconnected world, and I really wanted to make something similar to that, but with a totally different theme,  and so Mario’s paintings came to mind.

Back when I first started playing Doom mods in 2010, I couldn’t even think of winning a Cacoward, and here we go, 8 years later.  

I really want to thank everyone who helped me in all these years, it’s been a wonderful journey and I hope to continue making content for this incredible community.

Congrats to all the Cacoward winners. Glad to see @antares031 and @Batandy (again!) pick up a Cacoward.

IMO The Alfonzone deserved a full blown Cacoward, but understandably AOSE2 was a thing this year so good to see @Pinchy's magnum opus at least getting a runner-up prize. Was also surprised to see UAC Invasion: The Supply Depot getting a Cacoward.

Great to see @FishyClockwork getting a Promising Newcomer mention for The Quirky Domain, and for Yugiboy85 getting a runner-up for Man on the Moon!

Here's to 25 more years of great Doom content....

(P.S- I'm still waiting on Minimum Doom, which I'm surprised wasn't on the 'What Are We Still Waiting For?' list....)

I just want to say that QCDE has also a strong SP/Coop part, with monsters from both Quake and Doom series (and also custom sets like Strife, Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, hell even CHEX QUEST).

I imagine that the MP cacoward is strongly pointed towards PvP, but I'd like to point out that QCDE isn't **merely** a PvP mod.

That said, hats off to everyone who won the awards! Y'all deserve it!

Congratulations to all of those who have picked up awards this year. I have only played a couple of them unfortunately but I have been very impressed at the quality and creativity that comes out of these forums.

Happy 25th birthday doom :)

Criminal that Ashes 2063 didn't get a full award, but the final line-up and output from mappers this year was just phenomenal!

23 minutes ago, Man Q. Bus said:

great write-ups this year

Indeed.

Also, I was glad to see the mini mod section for the first time. Glad to find my mod listed in there.

Anyways, Happy Birthday to Doom!

I hate having to be the "what about x" guy, but I'm bewildered as to why Diabolus Ex didn't at least get an honourable mention. 

8 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

What? No Phobos mention at all?

That was intentional. It came out so close to the deadline, it felt a disservice to shoehorn in a comment about the project. Expect to read more about it (and the hopefully soon to be released episodes 2 & 3) next year.

Congratulations to all the winners!

Which brings us to one burning question: will next year be the year we finally see Mordeth?

And to the Cacowards team, great job! I liked the "Spaceship of Theseus" award. That was imaginative. I don't know if it will stick around I'll have to tell my wife (who was a Philosophy major in college) about that one; she might get a chuckle out of it.

(And for any readers that didn't get the joke, go look up "The Ship of Theseus.")