Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scuba Steve

Cacowards 2018 - 25 Years of Doom

Thanks to all on the Cacowards team and to all Doomworld contributors and members, big and small. I am humbled. The amount of worthy candidates this year is testament to the strength of this community. Hats off to all of you. Thank you Major Arlene, for the excellent write up and for featuring my work(love) on your YT channel.

I have only played one of these things this year but good writeups. I want to do one of these writeups one time, but I'd have to be a lot more dedicated to Doom, and lately I have been less dedicated to it.

Also I said this last year, but we really should've had a Google Doodle for Doom's 25th, yet instead we get Nelly Sachs' 127th Birthday instead. Don't mean to sound noncey but Doom's 25th is quite more of a milestone.

Wohooo Another Innocence X down the drain.

but seriously though, Congratulations to all the winners. Ashes 2063, Doom: The Golden Souls 2 and Dimension of the Boombed are amazing sets and im glad to see them get the recognition they deserve :D

8 hours ago, Yugiboy85 said:

Congrats to all the winners and runners up. I'm a little disapointed that "Tangerine nightmare" didn't make it some way or another but i guess the competition this year was really tough haha

Nice to see a few new faces on the writing team too.

Not just writers, but judges as well. To me, it feels like there is a really good balance of different opinions/interests on the team, and there are a larger number of people involved in choosing the winners than ever before, which I think is a good thing.

Tangerine Nightmare was really good, and only narrowly got edged out of being a runner-up. Like you said, the only reason is because there were *so many* good things this year.

Always enjoy reading these. :D And good picks, generally, including a few I didn't expect but they only served to remind me of some gems I'd forgotten about. A little (or maybe not so) 'scratchpad' of notes from me (please note I don't play multiplayer or use many mods so those won't be here):

-Erik Alm is absolutely justified for his award IMO, and it's too bad he might never see it. :( How many great maps and wads owe their inspiration to Scythe and/or Scythe 2, direct or indirect, wholly or partially, is far too many to count.

-I'm glad Deadwing got a runner up finally, his maps are always at the very least runner up quality the last few years.

-Dimension of the Boomed is my favorite wad I've played this year at least of ones that aren't a complete TC and is absolutely the best singleplayer mapset out there to combine Quake with DooM.

-Struggle indeed isn't meant for one sitting but playing more slowly I had a great time and I liked the modifications (perhaps in the minority here!).

-REKKR is a clear labor of love, and a new game for all intents and purposes, but I think it needed a bit more polish, and perhaps a few more helping hands in mapping. I'd certainly call it runner up at least but not sure about Top Ten especially when Ashes 2063 could have exchanged with it.

-Square E2 is without question one of the year's best releases and needed to be clearly mentioned somewhere but given the project was already given a Cacoward in 2014 I may have avoided using one of the Top Ten spots for it a second time. Maybe give it a big shout right in the opening of the article.

-Following on from the above - Deathless, Bury My Heart Knee Deep, 4 Seasons, and Order of the Odonata were definitely robbed, so one of those could have taken Square's place. It may be unavoidable to not 'rob' anything even with a full 20 slots, but three is 25% less than four!

Despite the last three points, a great read as always about a great year of releases, and happy 25th! :D

Woooo, a runner-up and a most promising newcomer, I'm stoked with that. Thanks!

Well done on the awards, everyone involved, your write ups are great, even if they've just burdened me with an unreasonably enormous list of Things I Must Play Right Now.

Awesome, first year in a while where I've agreed with all of the cacoward winners AND the honorable mentions! If you ask me, I would've given out 10 more awards due to the fact that we've gotten SO much fantastic Doom content this year, but... that'd be breaking tradition. And for what we got, everyone deserved their award fairly.

Kudos to the team for the amazing writeups and UI, to the winners for creating something the entire community can enjoy, and to the Doom community for lasting this long whilst still managing to grow and create new content 25 years later.

Happy birthday, Doom! I'll still be here for another 25 years!

always great to see the cacowards ^^ congrats to all the winners this year, there was some really great ones :)
great stuff as always guys ^^ and happy birthday Doom! I hope doom and doomworld last another 25 years after this :)

Edited by GregLafitte

Congratulations to the all of the winners and runners-up! You all definitely didn't make it easy :P I cannot wait to see what next year holds - the possibilities, of course, are infinite. I know all of you will continue to make great things and I look forward to seeing what you guys create! 

i was v tired last night but now that i've slept and finished the work i had to do today:

i was pretty shocked to see that DBX won the codeaward!

my work last year was less of a surprise with all the mentionation, and just people talking about it. despite that, i never imagined my work last year would ever, ever, be something even 1% as popular as it ended up being. but there was that build-up to the cacowards that year with all the buzz about the pk3 building. with DBX, on the other hand, i just sort of imagined that it'd be vaguely popular. but only as something sort of "invisible", at most, credited in people's /idgames/ text file as their editor of choice. so it was a very big surprise to see it win the award.

i wanna thank everyone who's helped me with doom builder x, the lua plugin, and my other doom related projects in various ways. so many people have helped me work out ideas by discussing them, or giving feedback, or testing.

but i especially want to thank @Altazimuth, @jmickle66666666, and @Ribbiks. various discussions or contributions or testing from them were extremely helpful in quantity and quality. none of the doom-related code i've worked on would be as good without their contribution.

i also want to thank @CodeImp, who i haven't interacted with, and idk if he will see it, but obviously DBX owes a lot to DB2.

awards like this are a bit strange: they're a nice way to celebrate the community, yet they focus on individual people or teams involved with individual projects. despite that, they'd be completely meaningless if it weren't for the community to give them meaning. so, thank you to the community! and i mean that deeply, not just as something people are expected to say when they win a thing.

edit: i also want to link Ribbiks's post from the DBX thread with 2 very interesting screenshots that used the Lua-plugin for some level design! i hope to enable many more cool maps from people!

Congrats all, and thanks to the committee for all of their hard work.

The output of the community never stops amazing me.

2 hours ago, anotak said:

edit: i also want to link Ribbiks's post from the DBX thread with 2 very interesting screenshots that used the Lua-plugin for some level design! i hope to enable many more cool maps from people!

It seems the next era of doom mapping scene might be mix of script-generated + hand-draw layout's? :P

You've created a monster haha

It's been a day and I'm still blown away by all this. Thanks to all the people who've watched and helped me improve over the years and I can tell you for certain that I'm not stopping here. :)

Erik Alm definitely deserves that Espi Award. The only other mappers I can think of who even have a shot at claiming that much influence are pcorf and Tormentor667, and they're much more divisive in terms of how positive their influence actually was.

Big thanks to the Cacowards Team for organising the awards, Not Jabba for the flattering write up, and everyone generally for the recognition.

A lot of outstanding maps and mods were released this year, and I was half expecting DotB to get over shadowed by some of the heavy weights. So I have sympathy for the runners-up who in any other year would have been walking away with a golden tomato of their own.

And of course congratulations to all the winners.

Has it really been 15 years since Doomworld started doing the Cacowards?

Gosh, and it only seemed like yesterday...

Great 25 years event, thanks Cacowards crew! A late happy birthday to Doom and it's community: the gift that keeps on giving. You are all awesome :)

Happily surprised and honored to see Preacher was warded! I guess every year there's a mod nobody heard about before

Congrats to all winners and Cacoward crew! Thanks @rdwpa for the kind review!

1 hour ago, Darch said:

Happily surprised and honored to see Preacher was warded! I guess every year there's a mod nobody heard about before

Congrats to all winners and Cacoward crew! Thanks @rdwpa for the kind review!

Why be surprised? Preacher definitely deserved it. 

Plus the Cacowards team knew that they'd all burn in the fire if it didn't win

Thanks to all the Cacowards crew and all Doom fans that for so many years continue to maintain this fantastic community!

Has been a pleasant surprise for me to see my map in the cacowards. When I started mapping I never imagined that one day I would receive so prestigious award.

With the comments that the community had previously made on my map I already felt enormously rewarded for the effort it took me to do it. But after seeing it here, in this cacowards, surrounded by incredible maps and mods that have also been awarded (my big congratulations to all), I think it is the minimum that I can contribute to this great community and it encourages me to continue working on this great game, that although turns 25, continues to enjoy great health!

I also want to thank the people who helped me with the beta testing, they made this possible

Finally, I wanted to thank the Cacoward members for select my work and especially @Major Arlene, who wrote such a good review on the map. Really, thank you very much!!!

So, I just gave Avector a go, and man, this guy loves his "so deadly as to not even be close to worth it" secrets.  That super-elaborate rocket launcher secret right at the start in particular is a laugh.

Otherwise, it seems pretty cool so far.  I'm getting a strong Alien Vendetta vibe from it actually, neat stuff.

EDIT: Got to map 02.  Way too many "know exactly what's coming next or die instantly" moments and way too many "get lucky with the RNG or die instantly" bits for a map longer than most entire megawads, fuck this shit, I'm out.

Edited by Cynical