Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

So far, Doom's 25th anniversary is way, way better than Christmass! So many awesome presents! Congratulations on the release and wishing smooth sailing all the way to the final version!

Speaking of smooth, I'm having some strange problems when I try to play it with Fraggle's take on Smooth Weapons in GZDoom. Firing the pistol causes my view to suddenly jerk to the right. I've had similar problems with Doom 64 for Doom 2, which, like this wad, uses both DeHackEd and Decorate to reinforce the former when things are loaded in the right order. With that, the solution to my problem was to load vsmooth last, but here, the load order doesn't seem to be making any difference.

I also noticed a widescreen status bar inside the wad when looking for other things that might clash with any cosmetic mods I use, but it doesn't seem to show up ingame. I don't know if it needs sbarinfo or what.

Halfway through chapter 2. I can already say without a doubt that it is the best, most enjoyable megawad to come out in a good while. And that's certainly saying something considering the sheer amount of quality maps Doomworld pumps out. It's challenging, but accessible, and also downright gorgeous texture work and aesthetics. Recommended this to all of my friends and family, and to strangers on the street who I'm sure will play this masterpiece despite calling 911 on me.

When can I place a pre-order for a $166 limited edition physical copy (including a pewter statue of Dragonfly's head on a spike) of this free megawad? How many can one person order? If it's only two per person I'll take two $166 copies and one $39.99 standard version, thank you!

59 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

Speaking of smooth, I'm having some strange problems when I try to play it with Fraggle's take on Smooth Weapons in GZDoom. Firing the pistol causes my view to suddenly jerk to the right. I've had similar problems with Doom 64 for Doom 2, which, like this wad, uses both DeHackEd and Decorate to reinforce the former when things are loaded in the right order. With that, the solution to my problem was to load vsmooth last, but here, the load order doesn't seem to be making any difference.

I also noticed a widescreen status bar inside the wad when looking for other things that might clash with any cosmetic mods I use, but it doesn't seem to show up ingame. I don't know if it needs sbarinfo or what.

Mods weren't heavily considered when making this megawad and are relatively untested. I couldn't tell you what the conflict is here, and to solve it I'd be more inclined to make one of those newfangled vaccinated versions down the line that would be more mod-friendly overall than to solve this singular issue. Sorry!

As for the widescreen bar, it was removed early in development, I can't recall the exact reason but I'm pretty sure it was causing issues in a certain port.

43 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Mods weren't heavily considered when making this megawad and are relatively untested. I couldn't tell you what the conflict is here, and to solve it I'd be more inclined to make one of those newfangled vaccinated versions down the line that would be more mod-friendly overall than to solve this singular issue. Sorry!

Beautiful maps, but yeah I was playing this with Random Deaths And Decorations w\ Nash Gore and came across this weird bug where after killing a zombieman or imp, their bodies would have an invisible barrier around them for minute. Didn't have this problem with Eviternity being the only item in the load order and any incompatibility with mods is no way gonna stop me from enjoying this awesome map pack. Great job, just thought you should know about that bug.

Hooray for the release! OTEX is honestly the best texture pack I've worked with, and the level of organisation Josh coordinated this project with isn't something I can say I've seen in Doom before. My work here isn't as substantial as I hoped it would be when I joined the team back in June or whenever it was, but seeing MAP29 become a finished map was awesome, as was tuning in to the frequent mapping streams for this project, and writing the music for MAP30 was quite an experience, it's fun to write outside of MIDI, though in this case I'm not sure my poor PC would agree... D:

Cheers!

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

I'm pretty sure the fact that you've included Decorate for the new monsters should mean it's already compatible with most mods, especially if they're only meant to affect the weapons like Vsmooth, but that mod relying largely on DeHackEd is what complicates things in this case. I imagine I'd have better luck with an entirely Decorate-based smooth weapons mod, but I've heard those aren't as accurate and I don't know how to make the necessary changes myself.

Map 14, southeasternmost chaingunner closet didn't work for some reason. I got all secrets and killed everything else though. My guess is that those were supposed to teleport in with the rest of the mob by the exit.

Weird "bug" when loaded with D4T, it displays Doom 4 for Doom in the top screen for some reason. Maybe because it shares similar scripts?

Screenshot_20181210-184125.png

There's an ACS library in Eviternity that adds a few enhancements to the maps when played with GZDoom, and one of them is a general-purpose thing that displays the map name at the top of the screen when entering a new level. Seems that happens for TITLEMAPs too, hence the callout at the top -- though it's probably not too hard to exclude TITLEMAP explicitly, 'cause that's weird -- I'll file it on the bug list.

Also, just to set expectations, though everyone's free to play the wad with their favorite gameplay mods if they wish, there's no guarantee we'll be able (or willing) to fix incompatibilities, depending on the nature of them. ZScript/Decorate-based mods will probably mostly work OK -- I tested early builds with Argent a bunch, 'cause of ego or whatnot -- but DEHACKED-based mods are unfortunately right out.

As a random tip, make sure to load Eviternity.wad last, else the custom monster definitions might get stomped and Weird Things(tm) will happen.

If I made a copy of the wad that removed the DeHackEd lump from it completely, would the Decorate/etc. still ensure that all the custom content works as it's supposed to? It does sound a little drastic, not to mention pretty rude to make that kind of change (or any) to someone else's wad, but if I can get permission (if I need permission to make a slightly personalized copy with no intention to distribute it or claim it as my own work) and things work fine after the change, I feel like it'd be worth a try.

10 hours ago, Sparktimus said:

I stayed up just so I could play one map of this before I sleep

I had to go to sleep just as it would've been posted :(  But now I'm awake, here, and downloading

Update: I played through the first three maps, really nice so far.  Maps are obviously impressive (not sure how some of these effects were done) and the textures are creative and well done.  Don't think I've ever seen the Enneagram in a Doom map before, heh, which is surprising given that every other quasi-mystical geometric design has probably appeared at some time or other.  Fun stuff.

Edited by jerrysheppy

1 hour ago, SiFi270 said:

If I made a copy of the wad that removed the DeHackEd lump from it completely, would the Decorate/etc. still ensure that all the custom content works as it's supposed to? It does sound a little drastic, not to mention pretty rude to make that kind of change (or any) to someone else's wad, but if I can get permission (if I need permission to make a slightly personalized copy with no intention to distribute it or claim it as my own work) and things work fine after the change, I feel like it'd be worth a try.

Have a crack at it, if you can get it working locally, great; feel free to PM me a copy if you succeed, it'll be interesting to see!

21 minutes ago, jerrysheppy said:

Enneagram

But deliberately inverted here =)

19 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Have a crack at it, if you can get it working locally, great; feel free to PM me a copy if you succeed, it'll be interesting to see!

After all my fuss, I've actually decided to play it with an all-decorate weapon mod that should be faithful enough to vanilla, and although I am interested in trying what I wanted to do before now that I have permission, I figure the ideal way to test if it worked would involve prematurely spoiling the custom monsters for myself, so I'll leave it be for now.

21 minutes ago, ukiro said:

But deliberately inverted here =)

Indeed,  I picked up on that detail and did assume it was intentional.  

8 hours ago, Cage said:

Congrats on the release! Happy I was able to contribute, although somewhat last minute ;)

When I saw the titlepic in the OP, I instantly thought "this reminds me of the art style in Supplice". Seeing your name in the credit list was not a surprise. :)

Okay, epic stuff right here.
Congrats on the release !

I'm currently playing Eviternity with PrBoom-plus. Seems like there's a few bugs on map 05 when using this port :

- The radius of the new green Demon variant feels weird

- The map can't be completed as you get stuck when entering the yellow portal (you end up being in front of another one, and are then unable to move).

Aside from that, holy Molly, that's glorious. Excellent work, the maps are fun and great and good-looking and all, gameplay is solid, monsters and weapons are introduced in a classic fashion - much appreciated, and those textures are absolutely gorgeous.
Props to Dragonfly and team for reaching your objective and delivering this wad in time !

That's very odd - what PrBoom+ version are you on, and what complevel did you play on? I should have made it more clear that CL11 was the main thing we tested on, heh.

Oh, haha - sorry then, I totally didn't read the first post and assumed Boom was the intended complevel.
Thanks for the clarification.

6 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

That's very odd - what PrBoom+ version are you on, and what complevel did you play on? I should have made it more clear that CL11 was the main thing we tested on, heh.

If I play on GZDoom should I set it to MBF compatibility or leave it default?