Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

I finished this wad last night and after a really, really strong start with map26 and map27 (map26 being hands down my favorite map in the entire wad) E6 feels like a disappointment after that. With the foreboding intro and ridiculously long midi I was hoping for a long, grueling "final exam" level like most challenging megawads have as their map29, but instead got a bunch of sloggy, not-overly-difficult fights that could often be easily exploited, and architecture that, while it looked good, looked just like the three maps before it.

Spoiler

GdK6xVc.png

This fight was easily cheesed by simply running a loop across the aisle and around the two circular areas the monsters came out. Infighting took care of nearly all the monsters and some quick BFG spam got rid of the cyber and the last stragglers.

Finished the whole! Episode 6 was more focused on slaughter gameplay (or slaughter-lite, idk), although very paced with very beautiful visuals. I ended missing a map in more traditional style (similar to Ancient Alien's map 24), but I finally got some nice BFG gameplay, which I was wanting for a while :D

26 was the huge beast here and some of the most difficulties maps so far, at least for me. I didn't feel that triggering in-fighting here was as easy as in other maps, and I ended finishing the map with low health and ammo lol It's also tricky navigation-wise, but once you figure out what to do, looking at the auto-map helps a lot. Some really impressive level of detailing too!

27 was a lot shorter, which was a welcome change for me, featuring one large battle-ground in an open field, where using in-fighting in your favor is a key element. This one, navigation-wise, was harder than the previous. It took me a while to figure out that these switches-box, which you lower, are the key to unlock the exit. It's a neat concept, though.

28 gives some more slaughtering/arena fighting. It's short, fun and not too difficult (although I've died several times, of course!)

29 is an epic adventure map, this time with two (?) branches and some really cool gimmick. There are lots of fighting against large crowds, but this time I had an easier time to let in-fighting do the job. Some really original and cool ideas here, such as the finale and the cave 'hole'. Really fun map!

30 is the final boss map. It wasn't too much difficult tbh, as long as you're aware of the boss arch-vile attack. Then, when the monsters get released, you have to be careful and find safe spots and health when it's needed. Very cool mechanisms regarding the structures, though!

Overall, Eviternity is one of my favorite wads I've ever played. As ukiro said, variety is a key word here and it definitely enriches the experience for me. While some levels I haven't enjoyed as much as others, the balance was very positive! The wad also plays a lot differently from others high-tier megawads, IMO, such as BTSX and Skillsaw stuff, which is a good thing: Doom's gameplay definitely allows a wide range of different playstyles. The structure of shorter maps with one (or two) epics in each episode worked really well for me: It didn't make the journey too big and kept the pace really fresh! There were very few annoying moments and the grinding was low (bar episode one), even on slaughter-fights, which made the experience flow really well.

Congratulations on the release, Dragonfly and crew! :)

2 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Overall, Eviternity is one of my favorite wads I've ever played. As ukiro said, variety is a key word here and it definitely enriches the experience for me. While some levels I haven't enjoyed as much as others, the balance was very positive! The wad also plays a lot differently from others high-tier megawads, IMO, such as BTSX and Skillsaw stuff, which is a good thing: Doom's gameplay definitely allows a wide range of different playstyles. The structure of shorter maps with one (or two) epics in each episode worked really well for me: It didn't make the journey too big and kept the pace really fresh! There were very few annoying moments and the grinding was low (bar episode one), even on slaughter-fights, which made the experience flow really well.

Congratulations on the release, Dragonfly and crew! :)

Music to my ears! Thank you Deadwing for taking the time to play Eviternity, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :)

Since you have been promising a new version soon that's supposed to support eternity directly I be been holding off playing more. Though I am curious to do so

It's looking less likely I'll have it all done before New Year's Eve, so early January for the next release is probably a better target. Like said before though, not rushing to meet any deadlines, I want RC2 to be as close to final as feasibly possible. :)

Sorry to keep you waiting @kristus!

5 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

early January for the next release is probably a better target. 

This sounds fine, gives me time to finish the other couple of megawads I'm playing.  I'll be looking forward to doing my first full playthrough in RC2 :)

6 hours ago, NinjaLiquidator said:

...Anyway, 2 monsters dont teleport (right downmost trigger room) so its not maxable

It's a known issue, and it'll be resolved in RC2, along with some other glitches.

Just finished playing this today. I have to say, it has been quite some time since I had wad really just amaze me the way this one did. Numerous times I stopped to say "wow, that's so cool!" I've been playing Doom on/off for the better part of around 20 years, and I still find it really something that this late in the game, I can still be wowed so much. The visuals in map26 are just...HOW. So many releases in a few years have set the bar so high, and I just don't know how it can go higher, but I know it will. Incredible work to all those involved!

However you prefer it, Chowbar. I'd just recommend if you play on GZDoom don't use the default 'Dark' lightmode, it's too dark imho. :)

3 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

However you prefer it, Chowbar. I'd just recommend if you play on GZDoom don't use the default 'Dark' lightmode, it's too dark imho. :)

Cool thanks! One of the first things I do when I download a new copy of GZDoom is set lightmode to software. 

Can't wait for the final release as well!

PrBoom Complevel 11 - I've made it automatically apply the correct compatability settings in GZDoom so leave it on default. :)

You know what would be good? If PrBoom added a complvl lump to their system. So developers wouldn't have to relay that information. :)

I have finished eviternity and this is my opinion

quite funny, varied and balanced in summary, recommended since it shows 6 episodes that give you 6 very well executed themes

the first episode served as what it is, introduction, easy, simple and good so I do not see errors

the second was more tech, very good, although you notice the increase in difficulty and above all, the architecture is great in some maps

the third episode changes drastically from tech to ice, which amused me and I consider that they are even better than the ice maps I have played, also with the new astral opponent it made it difficult, and I must say that my favorite is 15

Now the fourth episode returns to resume the tech, although this time is more industrial, more complicated but still fun, removing that if you do not prepare you will be insane level 19, since it is very long (the par time is 39:00 minutes) and at least for me it became eternal

the fifth episode is hell, it's fun and well structured, but short, (I finished it in 25 minutes) or at least that impression gave me since after level 19 of the fourth episode I think this episode of hell is short

the sixth episode, what can I say ?, it's a thing that is nice to see, and that shows how good are the skill of some mappers, is very fun and great to be the last episode that culminates this great wad

of the personalized enemies in none I had a problem, but in those that do, it is with the astral cacodemon (it kills you if it grabs you well), the annihilator (your machine gun is sure to take your life), and well, the final boss (very good for dehacked, but I feel that although they put second phase, I was not very satisfied with his death, although I must admit that it was fixed with the music)

and sorry if I had errors writing this review, English is not my native language

FOR THOSE WHO THINK MAP05 IS HARD - skip to 15:16 (improved UV Max of whole Ep1):

I think even Dragonfly doesnt know that we can rape the map this way. Route is now pimped to the limit, I did 20:11 with no missed monster, theoretical possible min is 19:17, but I will leave it to local MLGs and move on other eps.

Of course be ready for later versions as advised in the op for speedrunning - that MAP05 run was pretty incredible, though yeah, I knew about cheesing it behind the mobs in the tele-rooms ;P

I'll be sure to watch 01-04 later on! :)

I JUST realised that the green monsters on the Titlepic is NOT the serpents from Heretic and Hexen, but the green demons you see in the wad. Ho doi, I just had to share my bewilderment.

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this already, but the raising floor bit in MAP24 breaks if you stand in the wrong place.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190101_183135.png.7d6f18eeef00fee4d91bd013a3f0bc04.png

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20190101_183228.png.6b47d3ad033573a5bb1e4449782adabd.png

Just finished this yesterday.  Beautiful architecture, great fights, logical progression.  No doubt this will give me many hours of fun replay. 

About to restart it now. 

What else Am I going to do on new years day? 

Great job.  Epic mapset.

1 minute ago, Searcher said:

About to restart it now

I think I speak for the whole team when I say we're very happy to hear feedback like this! That said, we are fixing lots of bugs right now, and soon there should be an updated and much improved version. No date promised yet, so if you're itching to dive right back in now, do go ahead =)

I played this over the past month and goodness this is the best thing I've played in a long time. The texture set really gives Doom a fresh coat of paint and even makes me want to try mapping again.

I only wish there was a lion head switch in OTEX because I'm not quite a fan of the weird face switch. :P