Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

I really think we gotta mark GLBoom+ as officially unsupported -- it just doesn't draw skies correctly*. If you wanna go GL, use GZDoom.

[*From a technical perspective, what's really happening here is that the Doom renderer does a lot of weird stuff, and GZDoom's GL renderer goes out of its way to emulate a bunch of old Doomisms (and even then, skies are only partially correct). GLBoom, somewhat ironically, has much less fancy compatibility shimming so certain stuff doesn't work the way it does in the game proper.]

Xaser beat me to it, but yeah Glboom stretches skies in a way we can’t control. It should look ok-ish in prboom and gzdoom in the next release, even with a bit of mouselook. But mostly you should be ok playing without mouselook. 

17 minutes ago, ukiro said:

Xaser beat me to it, but yeah Glboom stretches skies in a way we can’t control. It should look ok-ish in prboom and gzdoom in the next release, even with a bit of mouselook. But mostly you should be ok playing without mouselook. 

I wasn't playing with mouselook anyway :D .

So I suppose I should've switched the ports before I embarked on the journey... eh, too late for that since I'm on MAP26, not sure it's gonna be worth switching at this point, so I'll live with it. That, and considering GZDoom has worse optimization than PrBoom+ overall is probably going to make my day suck if the last couple of maps are big and with large enemy counts, so it might not be worth switching in the end.

1 hour ago, seed said:

I ran into this in the meantime.

Bug or did I forget to enable/disable something about the skyboxes in GlBoom+ ?

IAr2UTl.png

is there a reason the 271 tags in this map have y offset of -32? If you just change it to 0 this visual artifact disappears (both in prb+ and glb+)

@seed It has something to do with this issue i think. Sky texture looks too short in your screenshot, that's why it looks like it's looping. Try to turn on stretch short skies, maybe it will help some.

Normally a 200px tall sky needs Y offset of -72 to align the top of the sky with the top of the screen. That red sky might be 256 though. 

19 hours ago, Xaser said:

I really think we gotta mark GLBoom+ as officially unsupported -- it just doesn't draw skies correctly*. If you wanna go GL, use GZDoom.

[*From a technical perspective, what's really happening here is that the Doom renderer does a lot of weird stuff, and GZDoom's GL renderer goes out of its way to emulate a bunch of old Doomisms (and even then, skies are only partially correct). GLBoom, somewhat ironically, has much less fancy compatibility shimming so certain stuff doesn't work the way it does in the game proper.]

Are there other issues when playing Eviternity using GLBoom+ besides the sky issue? I really love GLBoom+ personally so it would still be my port of choice when RC2 is released if there's no other issues?

Not that I'm involved with the project at all but would it be better to not mark it as totally unsupported but rather add a remark that there will be issues with the sky if GLBoom+ is used? Just a thought so not to scare away GLBoom+ fans such as myself. :P 

Edited by waverider

Playing on GZDoom 3.6.0 Legacy with Smooth Doom.

The default exit to map 15 kicks me back to the start of map 15 instead of going to map 16 like it should. The secret exit works fine.

On 12/11/2018 at 4:21 PM, GarrettChan said:

Love the mapset, I'm about halfway through now. Tight level design, great textures, good theming, the new monsters fight in with the existing bestiary nicely. If I may offer one suggestion, Doom is known for paper thin story, but even the vanilla dooms had a veneer of a story, a simple why am I here kind of thing. Might be nice to offer some kind of context as for why we're blasting all these baddies.

Hello Fatalis. Did you mean to comment alongside that quote, or just reiterating this sentiment?

If you're reiterating, here's a response:

On 1/21/2019 at 9:33 PM, Dragonfly said:

Not bad ideas. A couple of kind individuals have reached out offering to help with the story - I'll be crediting them all on their efforts of course and I've bounced little nuggets of ideas their way in case it inspires them to write what I couldn't. :)

:)

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Hello Fatalis. Did you mean to comment alongside that quote, or just reiterating this sentiment?

If you're reiterating, here's a response:

:)

Ahh I must have missed that while I was browsing the thread. Regardless, excellent WAD.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:04 PM, seed said:

That, and considering GZDoom has worse optimization than PrBoom+ overall is probably going to make my day suck if the last couple of maps are big and with large enemy counts, so it might not be worth switching in the end.

I know its probably too late to answer now, but you could also use the regular(non GL) PrBoom+ unless you don't like software render.

Or you could even try Eternity :)

On 1/26/2019 at 5:54 PM, waverider said:

Are there other issues when playing Eviternity using GLBoom+ besides the sky issue? I really love GLBoom+ personally so it would still be my port of choice when RC2 is released if there's no other issues?

Same advice as above.

19 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I know its probably too late to answer now, but you could also use the regular(non GL) PrBoom+ unless you don't like software render.

Or you could even try Eternity :)

Didn't know Eternity was supported, might've tried Eviternity with it. But, to me it's obvious it was designed for GL, not Software (truecolor Software might've been as closest it could come). Additionally, the performance wasn't very good with the Software render for me.

Way too late for that though, I finished RC1 a few days ago.

It was designed for both Software and GL renderers. RC2 will better support Eternity, but I believe RC1 is already fully functional in the Eternity Engine. :)

Also, RC2 has a much improved COLORMAP, making software rendering really appealing with Eviternity.

RC1 has 2 Dehacked lumps. One of them has zero data. Risen3D borks with this. Deleting the zero data DEHACKED lump fixes this for Risen3D.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:30 AM, Dragonfly said:

As for the widescreen bar, it was removed early in development, I can't recall the exact reason but I'm pretty sure it was causing issues in a certain port.

Can you re-release it as an optional addon?

Map04 ...

100% secrets cannot be recorded, since the "sector effect" is removed from sector 565. I suggest making sector 372 the secret instead. If mentioned prevously my apologies. ( applies to any further comments ... ).

1 hour ago, hawkwind said:

Map04 ...

100% secrets cannot be recorded

This has been fixed, but we appreciate all testing help we can get! If you encounter more errors, you can check the change log to see if it's something we've already taken care of.

The wad will be one of my favorite wads. I've got such a treat. It's so wonderful!

So I'm here to report a texuture mismatch in MAP15. I hope the author of the map will fix this. This map is magnificent btw. I admire you.

gzdoom 2019-02-06 21-48-20-086.jpg

On 2/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, Manbou said:

The wad will be one of my favorite wads. I've got such a treat. It's so wonderful!

So I'm here to report a texuture mismatch in MAP15. I hope the author of the map will fix this. This map is magnificent btw. I admire you.

gzdoom 2019-02-06 21-48-20-086.jpg

It's been fixed a long time ago, don't worry about that!
I really appreciate you enjoyed the map so much! That really means a lot to me, thank you. <3

Really excited to play through these maps. I’ve only played the first couple so far, as I’m trying to wait for RC2 to really dig in. 

I believe I heard it was almost ready for release. Is there any ETA currently?

13 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Honestly should be out in no more than a week, unless something catastrophic happens. :)

That's nice to hear. I've been restraining myself from playing this in its current form due to some of the issues, so I'm quite eager to finally get my hands on it, especially with all the fuzz the past few weeks :)

I've found some bugs in MAP31 and MAP19. 

I think it's impossible to finish MAP31 because of the door which requires blue key. Considering that there are red skull key textures around that, the door is supposed to be a red key one. 

Speaking of MAP19, I've found some black holes in the map. See graphics below. Regarding the final arena before the exit, No assault has happened. I played the wad with gzdoom.exe 3-7-2. MAP19 is very great. details in the map are really elaborate and there are a lot of interesting fights. I wanted some more medikits around the yellow key room. Oh that ceiling fans are very intriguing to see btw.

gzdoom 2019-02-06 22-33-10-312.jpg

gzdoom 2019-02-09 12-23-31-047.jpg

gzdoom 2019-02-09 12-24-02-326.jpg

gzdoom 2019-02-09 12-36-06-371.jpg

Edited by Manbou

This is one of my favorites now. Right up there with sunlust, scythe, deus vult, valiant, sunder. Really good wad guys excellent work.

8 hours ago, Manbou said:

I think it's impossible to finish MAP31 because of the door which requires blue key. Considering that there are red skull key textures around that, the door is supposed to be a red key one. 

Known bug, me and a few others mentioned it before.

It's fixed in the next version.

I will devote my time to this when RC2 is released, this seems like one of the most promising megawads in a long time to be honest! :)