Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

Got it. I was missing the non-secret infrared goggles. Thank you!

Anyway, is the Annihilator supposed to be invincible?

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Anyway, is the Annihilator supposed to be invincible?

No, but some people have reported that can happen with some gameplay mods. What are you running?

20 hours ago, Rimantas said:

They worked hard on whole WAD - on HUD too. They worked hard to fix bugs. Now you want to throw away part of their work. If you don't appreciate it and can't play with available HUD lol, there are other wads with vanilla HUD (the most important thing to you).

I don't criticize how you play your games so I would appreciate the same courtesy.

17 hours ago, Beginner said:

Open up Eviternity.wad in SLADE and delete all the lumps starting from the one conveniently named "STBAR" to the one named "STTPRCNT", then save the result.

Thank you. I will dive into this in the afternoon.

On 2/11/2019 at 2:02 PM, ReaperAA said:

Strange. I am 99% Eternity Supports MBF demo playback (for e.g Valiant's demo-loop played fine last time I checked). But for some reason, Eviternity's demos do not play back. Maybe this is a issue with Eternity.

Eviternity's final release demos are not -complevel 11. To be -complevel 11, they need to have their first byte set to 203 (MBF's version being 2.03), but it's a higher number, presumably derived from PrBoom+'s version.

19 minutes ago, Bauul said:

No, but some people have reported that can happen with some gameplay mods. What are you running?

Nevander's Blood Fixer and Smart Scavenger.

What is weird is that the Annihilator does not even seem to count as a monster. Good thing MAP10: Creation allowed me to run into the end portal!

However, I have not encountered a similar issue with Nightmare Demons and Astral Cacodemons.

The blood fixer can't be the culprit. I was using that one as well and had no problems. Annihilators deal tons of damage, but they still die as they should. Thank God.

I loaded Eviternity with the target field "-file eviternity.wad BloodFixer.wad smartscav-doom.pk3", then tried spawning an Annihilator on MAP01. Weirdly enough, I was able to kill it just fine. I repeated the experiment in MAP10: Creation and it worked again.

Those Annihilators spawning once you open the end portals are the ones that act like ghost monsters.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

13 minutes ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

I loaded Eviternity with the target field "-file eviternity.wad BloodFixer.wad smartscav-doom.pk3", then tried spawning an Annihilator on MAP01. Weirdly enough, I was able to kill it.

With this load order, it's killable when you summon it as "Annihilator". It is unkillable if you summon it as "BaronOfHell", which is closer to how it appears on the maps.

It's easy to test with the following command line parameters:

Spoiler

killable:

gzdoom -file maps/Eviternity.wad -file modules/graphics/BloodFixer.wad +map map01 +summon annihilator +mdk

unkillable:

gzdoom -file maps/Eviternity.wad -file modules/graphics/BloodFixer.wad +map map01 +summon baronofhell +mdk

killable:

gzdoom -file modules/graphics/BloodFixer.wad -file maps/Eviternity.wad +map map01 +summon annihilator +mdk

killable:

gzdoom -file modules/graphics/BloodFixer.wad -file maps/Eviternity.wad +map map01 +summon baronofhell +mdk

I see. Thanks!

30 minutes ago, NightFright said:

The blood fixer can't be the culprit. I was using that one as well and had no problems. Annihilators deal tons of damage, but they still die as they should. Thank God.

While you are here, Night Fright, I wanted to ask you: are you going to update your Widescreen status bar project with an Eviternity-themed one?

My focus is more on the fullscreen statusbar mod now (which was meant to replace the widescreen project, at least for me). Anyway, if I manage to gather enough pwads with custom bars, I may consider another release.

0/10 - Too much variety.

The flight pads in MAP29 are the coolest shit I've ever seen. Hell, the whole megaWAD is, I haven't been this engrossed in a WAD since I played BTSX E1.

After having played through a series of "1994 WAD's" lately, i needed to play something that would be fresh as well as fun and something that also would help to lift my spirits. So i decided to try this, Eviternity, since it seems to be quite popular. Now i've only played up to Map 03 so far but i have to say...just WOW! It really is extremely fun! Now i'm not really used to playing a lot of newer mapsets so it is quite a challenge for me on UV as i've died quite a few times (especially on map 3) but the deaths didn't seem unfair when i died. The gameplay seems perfectly balanced and you know when you "mess up" so to speak. Not to mention that the maps are just absolutely stunning to look at.

The only (ever so slightly) negative thing i can say about them is that in GZDoom (latest version) when using the software renderer with the Vanilla light sector it tends to be a little too dark imo. Other then that i have no other complaints thus far. I'm sure i could change the light sector or switch to the opengl renderer & it would probably be fine. Personally I would of liked to used PrBoom+ but lately i've been having bad screen tearing issues with Pr no matter what i do and i read that the sky's don't work with GLBoom+ so i just decided to use good ole' trustworthy GZDoom instead.

I actually only planned on playing one Map yesterday before i went to bed just so i could check it out but i ended up playing to Map 4 haha! That's how much fun i was having! Anyway's I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who worked on this and this definitely should be recommended for a Caco this year imo.

MAP05
    -----
    · Death exit fixed.

Then why I can't finish the level? Tried twice, -skipsec 410 and then -skipsec -25

evi05.zip

1 hour ago, vdgg said:

Then why I can't finish the level? Tried twice, -skipsec 410 and then -skipsec -25

evi05.zip

What -complevel were you playing on, out of curiosity?

@Dragonfly  This shouldn't be a problem. -complevel 11 (stdout.txt should have "playing demo with MBF compatibility" line somewhere). I just tried another PrBoom+ version, with the same result. On the other hand, if I join lirui1001's max demo, I can exit just fine. Puzzled.

Colour me confused as well; you're the first to report an issue of this sort since the final version dropped; so it's definitely an anomaly of sorts. You're playing as-is, no other wads of any sort loaded (even if cosmetic only)?

1 hour ago, vdgg said:

On the other hand, if I join lirui1001's max demo, I can exit just fine. Puzzled.

The max demo has comp_zombie=1 so dead players are allowed to trigger map exits. Yours has comp_zombie=0 so exits triggered by dead players are prevented.

I recommend you set this option to 1 and never change it. I don't know of any legitimate use for preventing dead players from triggering the map exit. I agree with Grazza's theory that killough meant to prevent zombie player exits, but made a mistake in the implementation.

Found a minor visual error in MAP01. Because the wall that you lower to access the teleporter secret in the south-west rubs against some stairs, that means there are five separate lower triggers for the wall. So, if you wait until the two sectors have finished lowering and then trigger one of the remaining four lines, the back sector lowers again and reveals an undefined Lower texture on the front side of linedef #667, resulting in some flat bleed.

Anyone playing this in Doom Retro and unable to do the death exit from Map 05? Not that big a deal since you're supposed to pistol start Map 06 anyways but was wondering if that was because a bug with Doom Retro (or Eviternity with this particular source port) or maybe I did something wrong.

21 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Anyone playing this in Doom Retro and unable to do the death exit from Map 05? Not that big a deal since you're supposed to pistol start Map 06 anyways but was wondering if that was because a bug with Doom Retro (or Eviternity with this particular source port) or maybe I did something wrong.

You can do it and I tested it but you need reach less than 35 health, so you could end for ex. -15 on portal or else it won't work. I had 39 at the end and tried multiple ways to damage myself carefully before it drained me just right at the end.

5 minutes ago, FearTheReaper said:

You can do it and I tested it but you need reach less than 35 health, so you could end for ex. -15 on portal or else it won't work. I had 39 at the end and tried multiple ways to damage myself carefully before it drained me just right at the end.

Yeah I even tried to blow myself up with the rocket launcher and it just started me from last save haha. Thanks FearTheReaper.

8 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Yeah I even tried to blow myself up with the rocket launcher and it just started me from last save haha. Thanks FearTheReaper.

It's rather tricky dut doable. Also don't be surprised if you exit Doom Retro it might crash. ;p

Spoiler

IfXQpk4.png

Spoiler

1tgSbu4.png

Spoiler

ZLtGmeI.png

Y'all should probably report that as a bug in the Doom Retro thread or somewhere thereabouts, else it'll get lost.