Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

9 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

@Dragonfly Just wanted to say that this looks awesome. This looks like a must-play ASAP.

Yes.

So start up your favorite port and play Eviternity :D.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Yes.

So start up your favorite port and play Eviternity :D.

More often than not back then I would slap something like this in GZDoom. But this is a great excuse to play with Eternity. Eviternity in Eternity, heh.

I'm having trouble completing map13. I have all 3 keys but cannot open sector 298, since the player has to use the switch at line 1855. So the question is ... how does the player get to line 1855 ?

While at it, lines 5980, 5955, 5812, 5802, 5794 and 3910 needed a lower texture on their back-sides, since sector 1144 lowers to -56, not -48.

NVM worked it out - sector 175.

Lines 76 and 61 could use an alignment.

Edited by hawkwind

After a great start, I reached a certain level, checked the map, saw it had 800+ enemies and rolled my eyes expecting a heavy slog. A pleasant surprise then to find as the level progressed that it was just a massive, epic sized stage with relatively conservative, smart enemy placement. The enemy count never goes that big again. The massive battles I'd worried about from that point on ARE there at certain points, but they're well handled, balanced and always give you enough room to maneuver.

It's lovely and polished, this one. Some great visuals, great music, really fun encounters and clever ideas. I may go back to it again.

Actually there are two levels with high monster counts, at least in the first 4 episodes (ep.5 and 6 are still waiting for me to play them). I am not really a fan of massive, complex maps with lots of kills to do since it always feels like a chore to me. However, since the levels look so nice and difficulty remains on a managable level, these bigger maps did not prevent me from having a great time.

It is worth bearing in mind that I missed the secret levels, so I can't speak for those.

Worst thing about that is, I'm pretty sure I know the level where they were hidden too. There was a keycard on a plinth and a blocked off area, but I couldn't work out how to get it down. Probably missed something totally obvious. One of those things where it's like "I bet it's right in front of me, what am I missing?" Says a lot for the design of everything in this that I wasn't blaming the game.

Those last two eps, they're full of some great surprises. Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

One thing I noticed is that bad guys can shoot you through sector 5320 on Map19 even though it 'looks solid'. A few occasions that happened on that map, but that was the worst.

map31 ...

Seems impossible to get the red skullkey at sector 13. The only (seeming) access to it is door sector 936, but this needs the red skullkey. Interestingly, using gzdoom, I could rocket jump from sector 12 to sector 13. Intentional ?

EDIT : NVM ( again). Worked it out. "Jump" from sector 484 to sector 348 and continue.

Edited by hawkwind

I just finished 12 levels on UV. I'm amazed by creativity! Music, art, level design, fight scenarios, secrets are outstanding! Secrets are really secret and entertaining (i'm proud i found them all by myself). Map09: Grey Caco scared me to death, Plasma and goggles were extremely hard to find, surprise in BFG room was really unexpected. Map12: battle near exit was totally insane because i didn't notice hidden passage to leave area, so i had to fight while being executed. :D This is the real Doom.

On 2/18/2019 at 3:51 AM, NightFright said:

Widescreen status bar available. Load wad from attached zipfile after Eviternity wad. Optimized for statusbar size 4 in GZDoom.

eviternity_stbar.png

eviternity_wide.zip

Wow, thank you! You have changed your mind rather fast. Not that I am complaining, of course!

3 hours ago, Rimantas said:

I just finished 12 levels on UV. I'm amazed by creativity! Music, art, level design, fight scenarios, secrets are outstanding! Secrets are really secret and entertaining (i'm proud i found them all by myself). Map09: Grey Caco scared me to death, Plasma and goggles were extremely hard to find, surprise in BFG room was really unexpected. Map12: battle near exit was totally insane because i didn't notice hidden passage to leave area, so i had to fight while being executed. :D This is the real Doom.

I am really not sure I like the Annihilator; having a regular monster use a rocket launcher is already a bit of an eyebrow-raiser, but to give it a hitscan attack too strikes me as rather overkill. Why not give it the Elite Chaingunner's projectile attack instead?

And speaking of the Elite Chaingunner, could you not have edited the sprite so to make the projectiles come out of his weapon rather than his waistline? Given how spectacular the rest of the custom spritework is, this one stands out rather awkwardly... :/

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

I went through and replayed the final release version with the Half Life mod and I must say that it's still just as fun as the first time I played through it. The Archangel was a nightmare to fight against, but boy did it feel good to peg it with my Desert Eagle right between its eyes.

I still hate the Annihilator and the Atral Cacodemon though. They still feel pretty overpowered, especially during the later levels when you fight hordes of them. The former Commander guys with the plasma guns were kind of annoying, but at least they died fairly quickly.

Edited by Lizardcommando

So I've played the first chapter and all I can say for first impressions is holy shit this is too good. Excellent palette and a beautiful texture set, and the new pinky demon (aquamarine demon?) introduced on MAP05 is cool looking (was wondering if the title screen was just for show 😁 didn't spoil myself when going in). Difficulty so far on UV is manageable for me, only died once in the yellow key area on MAP04 due to the ambush (and retreating in a corner like a dork) as a chaingunner pelted away at me from across.

Though there might've been a goof on my second attempt because when fighting outside of the room near the entrance to it bars had raised up and I was like 'wat?' and went to go use them, bringing them back down, and the ambush triggered from inside without me having approached the yellow key, which as one would imagine was easier to tackle from outside. Did a linedef get tripped weird? Using latest stable Eternity port so dunno if that interfered somehow.

On an unrelated note, am actually playing this megawad with the intent of saving at the beginning of a new level for consecutive play, but no mid-level saves, not even key acquirement saves, a first for me actually. For the purposes of improving my skills and to maximize the challenge of every map. Here's hoping I make it in future chapters!

This mega .wad phenomenal.  I love the new enemies, the maps, the textures.  Just finished up chapter 2 and everyone involved did such an excellent job.  Thank You!!!

7 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

Though there might've been a goof on my second attempt because when fighting outside of the room near the entrance to it bars had raised up and I was like 'wat?' and went to go use them, bringing them back down, and the ambush triggered from inside without me having approached the yellow key, which as one would imagine was easier to tackle from outside. Did a linedef get tripped weird? Using latest stable Eternity port so dunno if that interfered somehow.

It's a known 'issue' that I decided to leave in - a monster can trigger the trap just like the player. Rather than add block monster lines potentially having massive effects on the gameplay there I just let it happen, heh.

As for the no-save ethos, that's good! Though, I would suggest being open to a save on MAP19 and MAP32 each time you get a key, those maps are 60 minutes+ of gameplay on a first playthrough. :P

Just finished the whole thing and I have to say: You guys reserved the best maps for last. Episodes 5 and especially 6 were visual feasts for the eyes (and ears were pleased, too - wonderful music!). I have seen many nice maps during my many years with Doom, but what you pulled off in this project is simply mind-boggling. If your goal was to demonstrate what Doom should look like in 2019, you have definitely pulled it off. Insane quality, an amazing accomplishment and for sure a more than worthy Doom anniversary gift!

Edited by NightFright

1 hour ago, NightFright said:

Just finished the whole thing and I have to say: You guys reserved the best maps for last. Episodes 5 and especially 6 were visual feasts for the eyes (and ears were pleased, too - wonderful music!). I have seen many nice maps during my many years with Doom, but what you pulled off in this project is simply mind-boggling. If your goal was to demonstrate what Doom should look like in 2019, you have definitely pulled it off. Insane quality, an amazing accomplishment and for sure a more than worthy Doom anniversary gift!

This!  This!  This!

8 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

As for the no-save ethos, that's good! Though, I would suggest being open to a save on MAP19 and MAP32 each time you get a key, those maps are 60 minutes+ of gameplay on a first playthrough. :P

Thank you for the heads up lol I'll keep that in mind in the event I don't have the time. Usually I'll gauge how big a map is by how high the monster count is, then decide if now's the time to go through it in one sitting.

32 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Usually I'll gauge how big a map is by how high the monster count is, then decide if now's the time to go through it in one sitting.

My advice: The enemy count can be very deceiving sometimes, so I suggest not to rely on it. You can end up playing maps with thousands of monsters but they come in larger groups so you might take a lot of them out without spending considerable amounts of time, usually. Or you can have little over a few hundred but the map is quite lenghty.

4 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

Yeah that's true actually, a classic example would be Hunted in Plutonia, dozen monsters but takes like 10 minutes.

Or for something more recent, Decimal Error in Slaughterfest 3.

10.000 monsters but took me like 30min. or so to finish. It's literally one arena (+ a few more rooms) with seemingly endless waves of enemies coming for you.

11 hours ago, seed said:

Or for something more recent, Decimal Error in Slaughterfest 3.

10.000 monsters but took me like 30min. or so to finish. It's literally one arena (+ a few more rooms) with seemingly endless waves of enemies coming for you.

Or Nuts.wad

Over 10000 monster. But hardly takes 30 seconds to run past the map while getting atleast 50% kills. (OK its a joke map but still)

Sadly I am not available to join this, but I feel it's worth spreading the word so others may participate. :)

19 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

has filled me with a sense of pride and accomplishment. :)

FTFY.

More than 2 hours in map32 (UV), i feel all broken and level is not done yet. Map is laggy on 640x480, so i play on 320x240. No amount of money could buy experience like this. :D First time ever i got AV stuck on edge.

etrn00.png

On 2/17/2019 at 11:11 AM, RjY said:

The max demo has comp_zombie=1 so dead players are allowed to trigger map exits. Yours has comp_zombie=0 so exits triggered by dead players are prevented.

This highlights a general issue about using the MBF (and higher) complevels. Many aspects of the behaviour then depend on the settings in the user's cfg file, so for demos there is no longer the "level playing field" that exists with the commonly-used complevels (2-4 and 9), which override most of these settings. Perhaps some recommended settings should be provided when MBF wads are released or when demo threads/projects for them are started. The basic aethos for the settings could be along the lines of "turn off all that weird shit".

I've just started playing Doom II again (after a 25 years hiatus :)) and this release came at the right time (I had just finished regular episode then TNT and Evilution).

@Dragonfly Congratulations for this wad. Beautiful levels and great gameplay. Thank you

One question though, it seems I took the wrong exit around map 15. I had just completed map 32 and went back to map 16 which I hadn't gone through. Is this normal ?