Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

17 minutes ago, telephil said:

I've just started playing Doom II again (after a 25 years hiatus :)) and this release came at the right time (I had just finished regular episode then TNT and Evilution).

@Dragonfly Congratulations for this wad. Beautiful levels and great gameplay. Thank you

One question though, it seems I took the wrong exit around map 15. I had just completed map 32 and went back to map 16 which I hadn't gone through. Is this normal ?

Fantastic! Welcome to the community, I'm honoured that Eviternity is your first major PWAD since your return. :)

That is normal, you found the secret exit (which in most Doom 2 megawads is always located on MAP15, and takes you to 31). I made it so MAP31 always takes you to MAP32, instead of being a double-barreled secret exit affair. Upon completion of MAP32 you'll be returning to MAP16. In this case, the benefit of going via the secret levels is that you keep all of your weapons from MAP32 to use throughout the 4th episode (MAP16 - MAP20).

Hope that clears things up. :)

6 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Upon completion of MAP32 you'll be returning to MAP16. In this case, the benefit of going via the secret levels is that you keep all of your weapons from MAP32 to use throughout the 4th episode (MAP16 - MAP20).

Clever! Better find those secret maps then. ^.^

60min+, he says. MAP32 took me 3 hours, and that's discounting the many, many deaths. Speaking of dying in this level, I'm... not so sure about that part that looks like a homage to "Hell's Cauldron". The rest of the level was amazing however, and so far this entire megawad has been top-tier quality, easliy matching the level of polish of the latter Skillsaw releases in my eyes.

Btw, one of the few addons that turn the secret maps into true highlights. I would almost say that maps 31 and especially 32 are must-plays, and if you don't manage to find the secret exit in map15 - cheat, ffs!

2 hours ago, Budoka said:

I'm... not so sure about that part that looks like a homage to "Hell's Cauldron".

Assuming you're referring to the rock climb part towards the end, then? At least I had the good manners to make it about 9000 time less difficult than HR2 map29 :-) (which, incidentally, I realize I made the sky texture for!)

Had another silly death, on the fourth map of a chapter again, a Revenant caught me off guard and did 80 damage with its missile, followed by an Arachnotron's projectile that took out my remaining 20 health. One of the most savage double teamed moments I've had with this game tbh. Didn't take me long to get back up to where I was though and I stopped on Chapter 2 MAP10 for now. Again, really gorgeous set of textures and levels!

On the subject of Map32, it took me 100 minutes (roughly) to beat it with 100% kills, 76% secrets (10 out of the 13) and maybe 10 mid-level saves (perhaps the most I've saved in a level in about three years). Despite the numerous saves, I don't think I died. Go figure... 

12 hours ago, ukiro said:

Assuming you're referring to the rock climb part towards the end, then? At least I had the good manners to make it about 9000 time less difficult than HR2 map29 :-) (which, incidentally, I realize I made the sky texture for!)

Yes, the penultimate section. I mean, calling it that makes the level as a whole sound linear, which it isn't (not one bit), but you get the idea.

Wow that grey Caco who showed up in the first level of Chapter 3 is something fierce, it murdered me in a second and a half.

1 hour ago, Lila Feuer said:

Wow that grey Caco who showed up in the first level of Chapter 3 is something fierce, it murdered me in a second and a half.

Ah the infamous Astral Cacos. Well u haven't seen then in RC1 where they would literally 1-shot kill u at close range 😂

@ReaperAA Oof, very yikes. Yeah I tried to use the SSG but like being charged by a bear I never got a chance to get a single shot off before it tore me apart. Will try the chaingun next time, and perhaps retreat to a wider area!

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Ah the infamous Astral Cacos. Well u haven't seen then in RC1 where they would literally 1-shot kill u at close range 😂

Yea, basically this. Given all the fireballs they spit, if they get a good shot at you you're toast m8.

I was grateful the 600+ enemies in map30 weren't all Astral Cacos and Annihilators. You could have placed Megaspheres on every inch of that arena and I still wouldn't have made it, even on ITYTD.

The Annihilator is the modified Cybruiser right? With actual fkn rockets AND a chaingun attack! Those guys and the Astral Cacos are certainly the wild cards in the bestiary. The aquamarine demon is more like a spiffy looking Nightmare Spectre if it wasn't hard to see.

Speaking of Spectres, is it just me or did you guys do something to 'em? They are VERY good at sneaking up in my face and getting off a bite before I realize they were there! I tried to look at one of their corpses and I think the pattern of the software blursphere effect was modified? They are very tough to spot. But I am on 800x600 in Eternity so idk if that matters or not.

I can say now we did nothing to the spectre, haha. I don't think the mapper/modder even has control of that if they wanted to! We just tend to use them in darker / more ambushy situations through Eviternity. :P

I also think the darkness in diminishing light is stronger in Eternity than usual software mode, so things tucked away in dark corners and alcoves are especially sneaky without audio cues of their existence. Unless that's just a product of the new PLAYPAL?

It could be the new COLORMAP, but if anything the colormap was lightened / made more saturated in the darker sections, less murky browns.

I love the Astral Cacos. Considering how most of the monsters in Doom are a joke on 1-on-1 encounters, I was glad to fight them every now and then, just to shake things up.

The Annihilator is the most annoying custom enemy I've ever seen though. It deserves a spot right next to the Arch-Vile IMO.

9 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

The Annihilator is the most annoying custom enemy I've ever seen though. It deserves a spot right next to the Arch-Vile IMO.

You have probably not experienced the Red Baron first introduced in Scythe 2 :D .

2 minutes ago, seed said:

You have probably not experienced the Red Baron first introduced in Scythe 2 :D .

Despite the fact that I have not played Scythe 2 yet. I think I know what Barons u r talking about (from a few videos I have seen). They are those flying ones which fire a barrage of projectles and extremely durable, am I right.

Also offtopic, how does Scythe 2 compare to original Scythe (in terms of gameplay, layout and difficulty).

1 hour ago, seed said:

I have yet to play the Scythe WADs, but as long as they're not hitscanners, I'm ok with them :P

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

Despite the fact that I have not played Scythe 2 yet. I think I know what Barons u r talking about (from a few videos I have seen). They are those flying ones which fire a barrage of projectles and extremely durable, am I right.

Also offtopic, how does Scythe 2 compare to original Scythe (in terms of gameplay, layout and difficulty).

Yeah, that's him.

My 2 cents: Scythe 2 expands on what Scythe got right, has more modern and better-looking maps, new enemies, but it's also noticeably more difficult than the predecessor (from my experience, Scythe's overall difficulty on UV is basically HMP in Scythe 2).

3 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

I have yet to play the Scythe WADs, but as long as they're not hitscanners, I'm ok with them :P

No you won't :D .

1 hour ago, seed said:

No you won't :D .

I'll eventually come back to tell you whether you were right or not.

29 minutes ago, Xaser said:

In Eviternity, the Afrits are known as "Sir Not Appearing In This Wad." :P

Thank God, lol.  Though, that Archangelus' second phase is abit more annoying ;p

I love the Scythe II ennemies personnally, one of the very few things I dislike about Resurgence is that Joshy nerfed them. To stay on topic, "Dehydration" was interesting but sorely lacking in difficult fights, causing an absence of tension that resulted in me being somewhat bored all the way through. The final third was a bit better I guess.