Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

2 hours ago, guitardz said:

The red flying barons in Scythe are called Afrits.

Scythe2-afrit.PNG

They're kind of dicks...

These guys pretty much always show up if you are playing Project Brutality on Deathwish (progressive spawn). They are not that annoying IMO, it could be because they don't have the same HP values as the ones from Scythe.

Anyways, as much as I love talking about Scythe II (I do, it heavily influenced some decisions in Eviternity), shall we move this scythe-chat to a more relevant thread? ;)

6 minutes ago, Budoka said:

"Dehydration" was interesting but sorely lacking in difficult fights, causing an absence of tension that resulted in me being somewhat bored all the way through. The final third was a bit better I guess.

I'm just a weirdo who likes long adventure-type maps like that, I guess.  It reminded me a lot of Counterattack.

I prefer long adventure maps when they have some bite. Examples: Misri Halek, Excavation Project, Trinary Temple. As for Eviternity, well, you know the one, we were talking about it earlier.

I'm getting accustomed to the Astral Caco, fancy that, a thing is no longer so scary once you figure out how it works. 😛

Did run into some resistance at the end of Chapter 3 MAP02, but the second time I was able to lock and kill the archvile in his chamber before moving out and pumping as many rockets as needed into the horde. Locked off areas create so much tension when you gotta utilize what you have as opposed to retreating! So far the difficulty of this megawad on UV feels just right, there's plenty of tension but also plenty of chances if you pay attention. A great first set to do no mid-level saving on I feel. Makes all the big fights feel satisfying when won.

I have finished playing the wad (using RC1, not RC2 though) and thought it was a lot of fun. Not the most epic maps in gameplay, but very epic in appearance and the last episode made a huge change of pace (I thought of Diablo 3, while playing it).

I wasn't very fond of the new monsters though; they all felt over powered and didn't really add anything to the combat dynamics, but maybe the toning down in RC2 would make them better. 

Thanks for taking the time to play Eviternity. A shame you didn't stop your playthrough at the end of an episode to move along to the final version.

1 hour ago, Vermil said:

[new monsters] didn't really add anything to the combat dynamics [...]

While I'm not intending to berate your opinion, this point I would very heavily argue against. I've watched countless streams and can say that both the annihilator and astral cacodemon add new dynamics to the battlefield not present with the vanilla bestiary. The player typically reorders their priorities and react very differently to these monsters. And yes, using the final version would give you the most balanced rendition of all new enemies, as well as the vastly improved appearance of the final boss. :)

I agree with Dragonfly here. The Astral Cacodemon and the Annihilator do add something to the experience and alter the dynamics of the combat. They're also some of the least frustrating custom enemies I've seen so far, there's much bigger assholes out there.

Is it just me, or is Map31 a spike in difficulty? I was playing through the maps on Hurt Me Plenty all the way up to Map15, but I find Map31's lack of room to manoeuvre exceptionally difficult. Should I try to carry on into Chapter 4 and re-visit the secrets later, or should I power through as things will get much harder from here?

I am loving these maps! I got here via the RPS recommendation.

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Is it just me, or is Map31 a spike in difficulty? I was playing through the maps on Hurt Me Plenty all the way up to Map15, but I find Map31's lack of room to manoeuvre exceptionally difficult. Should I try to carry on into Chapter 4 and re-visit the secrets later, or should I power through as things will get much harder from here?

I am loving these maps! I got here via the RPS recommendation.

I'd say power through. The secret levels are pretty though (especially MAP32), but your newfound skill could come in handy later on.

Secret levels don't really need to conform to a difficulty curve IMO and I wouldn't say they do in Eviternity. Things will get harder, yes, but personally I wouldn't say Chapter 4 is much more difficult than Chapter 3. As noted earlier, if you beat MAP32 you have the advantage of keeping your weapons going into MAP16.

4 hours ago, Eris Falling said:

Secret levels don't really need to conform to a difficulty curve

Pretty much.

After all, they're completely optional and not part of regular progression, so they can either be way more difficult/easy, or something entirely different from the rest of the maps.

5 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Is it just me, or is Map31 a spike in difficulty?

Map 31 was not so difficult (or maybe I am used to Skillsaw's shenanigans). For me map 14 was much harder. The only really hard area in map 31 is the arena area behind the cyberdemon area (the area which u can access after going through the blue key door that has annihilators, viles, revenants etc.). And there is a way to get through it via a secret. Spoiler below:

Spoiler

When u drop down inside the arena, go towards right side and try to look for a secret switch. after pressing the switch a teleporter will open at the centre of arena. Upon entering the teleporter, you will telefrag the cyberdemon and obtain the BFG.

You get to save ammo on not firing at cyberdemon AND bypass the problem in arena area fight.

11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

If i made it on Ultra Violence (all kills and secrets), everyone can do it. Currently in map24 searching for last secret.

Finally i made it... Finished all Eviternity on UV with all kills and secrets (no freelook, jump or crouch).

Some secrets took me HOURS to find them - some of them were super good hidden, sometimes i was just completely blind and humped whole map over and over again. But it was worth, secret found after few hours of insanity makes you feel like a champion. :D All levels were beautiful (best textures i ever saw), interesting, enjoyable and challenging. My personal favorite is map29, it's winner hands down! New enemies are incredible! Grey Caco and Cyberon are my favorites. New boss was near impossible when he switched to next phase... (i will have nightmares). I liked all music tracks, most of them i loved, few of them i adored! They really colored the game and i listen to some of them while i don't play. Eviternity was very pleasant journey for me. Eviternity team, you are the best talents!

etrn11.png

Finally completed Eviternity. It was truly a blast. Missed a few secret secrets here and there (I'll get em in a 2nd walkthrough) but managed most of them. Every second was worth it. Not a single moment where I felt bored.

The top 5 moments in Eviternity:

5. Boss area of Map10 and introduction of the Annihilators.

4. first glance of Heaven in Map 26

3. Jump pads in Map 29. How in the world of Doom?

2. The ending area of Map 29. Where the journey began.

1. Clock arena area in Map 15. Just beautiful in every way.

Favourite maps from each episode:

Episode 1: Map 3 because of its smooth flow and freedom to choose a path. Also the introduction of plasma gun and the SSG.

Episode 2: Map 10. Loved the detail where the wires would light on, leading to the opened gates. Also loved the boss fight. Map 6 is a close 2nd in this episode.

Episode 3: All of them are really good. But ultimately Map 15 for me due to the clock area.

Episode 4: Map 19. The most beautiful and well crafted techbase I have ever witnessed in Doom.

Episode 5: Map 24. A really atmospheric map with secrets that are really rewarding and make combat a lot easier. I also like the laidback nature of this map after a tough Map 23. Map 21 is a close 2nd in this episode.

Episode 6: Tie between Map 26 and Map 29.

11 maps into this wad so far and my whole experience has been exceptional. The midis are fantastic, with Map11's music being my favorite so far.

The 2nd half of the wad will be played on TNS this evening:

Holy crap.

I finished Ukiro's map 32, Anagnorisis, last night (UV, many saves) and I have to say it's astonishing: wonderful design and imagination, mind-blowing scale. Remarkably good balance of monsters, health and ammo for something so sprawling.

As a side-quest in Eternity, it's a chapter in its own right. My normal approach is to backtrack a lot, securing my immediate surroundings and maintain familiarity with the layout, but in Anagnorisis there were so many branching paths that lead so far in each direction, that you just have to pick a path and stick with it, trusting the design to signpost you enough that you don't lose your way. It was rare that I felt truly lost, and when I did, it was kind of a good thing. I certainly never got stuck about how to progress and that says a great deal.

Pathways through the red key building in particular are so complex that I never figured the layout of that place out. I wandered back in a few times in search of medikits and got lost every time. But like I say, that's a good thing. Maintains the sense of mystery.

Expert-level use of imps, too: in clustered hordes on the cliff face, they are a real threat and also extremely satisfying to take out with the rocket launcher.

Really pushed the limits of my Dooming skill in some places (in particular, the Arch-Viles near the yellow key, and the entire last fight).

Ultimately, I felt as if I'd completed a hero's journey on finally beating it. The anagnorisis here was realising how herculean this map really was; after the long climb of the cliffs at the end, the apotheosis was the climax of the final showdown.

Thanks for the experience, @ukiro. How did you achieve such synergy with the texture pack designer by the way? ;-)

Edited by LordEntr0py : Fixed name tag

Congrats on this release! Looking forward to diving in. Really liked Skulldash by the way, so the level design evolution here will be fun to see for Dragonfly's levels.

BTW how do I add a review for Eviternity. (excited to do my very first review)

9 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

BTW how do I add a review for Eviternity. (excited to do my very first review)

It doesn't have a page on Doomworld's idgames mirror yet (I suspect because it's still in Newstuff), so if you want to leave a review that people will likely come across when they're downloading the mod, I'd write it on the ModDB page.

On 3/11/2019 at 3:52 PM, Bauul said:

It doesn't have a page on Doomworld's idgames mirror yet (I suspect because it's still in Newstuff), so if you want to leave a review that people will likely come across when they're downloading the mod, I'd write it on the ModDB page.

It technically is on idgames here, but not on the beta downloads page so there's not a review section that can be done for it yet (that beta page hasn't been updated since last November iirc). You can read my long review for it if you wish on my page.

Also the Elementalism wad OP had 127 likes, so it's pretty close.