Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

Played through the entirety of Eviternity. (Except for the secret levels. Found one, but haven't found the other)

Quite possibly one of the greatest WADS I played. Props to you Dragonfly and everyone else who worked on this.

49 minutes ago, Cacademom said:

Except for the secret levels. Found one, but haven't found the other

There is only one secret map to find.

Spoiler

Map 15 has both a normal exit to map16 and to the secret map31, but map31 has only one exit, the super secret exit to map32, so you've probably done all the maps.

Yeah Eviternity was awesome, there were some maps in the second half I didn’t like but every single map in the first half is great except for Brink (which is still a good map). Awesome map design which really does the OTEX texture pack justice. But what’s really impressive too are the MIDIs and how well they match up with the type of map

Honestly, the only map I didn't really like was Dehydration. It's not a bad map, but it went on for a bit too long for my tastes. Map 32 was long as well, but I considering that's an optional map, I'm fine with it being super long.

Everything before and after it was pretty damn fantastic though. ESPECIALLY a lot of the levels in Chapters 5 and 6. So many cool set pieces in both of those. Although I suppose a lot of that is because I love the Hell and Heaven aesthetics. That blood waterfall at the beginning of Map 22 in particular was beautiful.

Just played the first two chapters with my friends as 4 player co-op.

We did it on Ultra-Violence with monster and item respawn options turned on.

Was an amazing experience =)

Thanks for creating Eviternity

It's probably a bit late for reviewing eviternity, but here goes.

I've played through the first episode, and while i hate to be that guy, i really don't like it as much as other people say. I had a hard time figuring out where to go on MAP03, and every time archviles show up... it doesn't really feel like a very well made encounter (skillsaw has spoiled me).

Still, that's the first episode. I hope it gets better.

1 hour ago, Tartlman said:

skillsaw has spoiled me

You're in luck, Skillsaw made a map for this (Map 31).

Also, if you dislike every time an Arch Vile shows up, you might want to stay away from Doom 2 pwads in general.

19 hours ago, Horus said:

2 > 1 > 3 > 5 > 4 > 6 imo

For me its probably

Ep3 (pure beauty) > Ep2 (most consistent quality) > Ep5 (Mech's map rules) > Ep1 > Ep4 (mostly let down by Map19*) > Ep6 (Ep 6 is visually great but its just that other episodes are better in gameplay)

* I really liked Map 19 when I first played it, but it just doesn't have the replay value for me.

Edited by ReaperAA

3 hours ago, Tartlman said:

it doesn't really feel like a very well made encounter

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion, I appreciate it!

Hopefully you'll continue further in the wad to see what else is on offer, as each episode is quite different from one another and offers different experiences and levels of difficulty. As per the above quote however, I feel like you're expecting more 'clever' or 'powerful' Archvile usage, which wouldn't befit the wad's progression that early on. There's definitely some encounters later in the wad which demonstrate more intelligent and vicious AV usage while still not being obnoxiously difficult to handle.

To be fair, that is more of an exception, ukiro.

As far as difficulty and AV usage is concerned, this mapset is extremely lenient and forgiving even on UV. The only thing I didn't enjoy somewhat was Xaser's map, because it was a huge pain to crowd all the monsters together to BFG them - not that it was tricky, it just felt time-consuming. I was often full on cells but constantly running out of rocket ammo, because I used it as soon as I found some. Gorgeous map visually though.

Finally getting around to trying this release.  Sampled the first two maps in PrBoom+ as an appetizer of sorts.  Heard there are GZDoom specific enhancements to the maps and I'm curious what might there be to look forward to.  I glossed over the first page of the Megawad club topic and read something about rain effects on the first map.  What other extras might I find by switching over to GZDoom.  (will require updating my GZDoom 2.4 and wondering if there's enough to warrant changing versions for the fullest experience of one mapset)

Gameplay felt very conventional in the two maps I played.  I'm in this for the environments though so looking forward to explore these lands.

The GZDoom changes are purely cosmetic - that is, weather effects in episodes 1 and 3, and particle effects on teleporters and warp portals. Nothing that alters the gameplay experience itself (ignoring GZDoom's own changes, of course.)

15 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

The GZDoom changes are purely cosmetic - that is, weather effects in episodes 1 and 3, and particle effects on teleporters and warp portals. Nothing that alters the gameplay experience itself (ignoring GZDoom's own changes, of course.)

Looking forward

It's hard to say anything about this wad without just over-the-top complimenting it, but when people above commented their favourite chapter order I tried thinking of my own and I realised it's really, really hard to do so, because there's so little to dislike. Chapter 5 probably has nailed the hell theme better than any other wad I can think of, especially map 24. Chap 6 is obviously just freaking stunning visually. 

I've spent a fair bit of time now trying to speedrun it nomo and it's given me two different kinds of appreciation for the wad that I'm not sure I'd have had otherwise. WITH enemies the gameplay is non-stop great and it really makes you interact with everything differently, of course, all the stuff many people have said. But when you take away all the depth of monsters, ammo management, health etc, it should feel "shallow" but to me it just never does, obviously it's a totally different experience but it just emphasised how goddam good the level design is. Whenever I got lost when I was playing for the first time and learning routes and stuff, I never once felt like it was due to poor map design, and it was never tedious trying to find my way around.

With chapter orders, I can't list my 1-5, but when I say my least favourite chapter is 3, that's not because I can find any faults with it. IMO it just kicks slightly less ass than the others. It's a good problem to have! Also, the music is just top notch and fits every level perfectly - ironically I think chapter 3's music is the best example of this. 

Plus, most importantly... the pistol is good now. Which is cool. 

Ah, OK.  Map 3 is when I got hooked and the set has been engaging enough that I completed episodes 1 and 2 before thinking to reply.

Could say a lot but I can also condense it into a compact sentence.  It was worth it to update GZDoom for this set.

Both exits in Map 15 slow down to a crawl with Ultra Crispy- it practically freezes while game progression on "dying" drops to a single-digit frame crawl and a frozen screen, and it takes about a full minute to finish dying before things catch up. I'm not sure why this happens or if it can be fixed, it doesn't happen with any other level exit that kills the player, and only with that specific mod in those specific exits.

Please take that issue up with the developer of "Ultra Crispy", that's not an issue related to Eviternity. Strange it happens only on one specific map as the exits are done the same across all episode ending exits; but again, that would be an issue with the mod.

very small nitpick, but i noticed the ceiling above the teleporter is a little bit higher than it should be on MAP11

EDIT: actually they all do it on this map, but i just realized its probably to make the ceiling the same lighting for software renderers?

doom04.png

32 minutes ago, kristus said:

Doubt it since you can do that effect with Boom linedefs.

oh true

I have done the voting.

Also I want to ask something. Don't know if anyone has mentioned it before but have u ever considered making a vaccinated edition for Eviternity?

Vaccinated being, none of the Dehacked assets with the levels rebalanced to suit?

If so, no, I haven't. Might be something worth considering though!

Okay, so i've reached episode 6.

Holy shit... I think this is the first megawad where i don't want to be spoiled on the later maps (that's a good thing!).

7 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Vaccinated being, none of the Dehacked assets with the levels rebalanced to suit?

Yeah that's what I really meant. Kinda like Valiant's Vaccinated Edition but for Eviternity.