Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

9 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Vaccinated being, none of the Dehacked assets with the levels rebalanced to suit?

For what it's worth, I don't think Valiant: Vaccinated Edition has any rebalancing. It's simply "take it as-is" for people who want to play with gameplay mods.

On 5/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, ukiro said:

The blue key room is brutal on the frame rate if you have dynamic lights on; it seems to interfere with the translucent blue lasers. Turning that off seems to solve it for all cases I’ve seen so far. 

But other than that, I’ve not heard performance complaints before. What’s your computer like and what engine are you using? Also, where are the performance drops happening?

Oh man, i saw your response only now. Sorry! You didn't quote or mention me, so i didn't get notification and didn't check thread. I will send details in PM.

16 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

After posting this on Discord with some positive attention and with Decino sharing the link to his community, I figured why not post here too! I don't usually ask for something like this, but figured "why not give it a shot"? It's unlikely Eviternity would win, but let's give this a shot!

If you've played and enjoyed Eviternity, I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to vote for Eviternity in ModDB's "Mod of the year". While you're there if you could also give Eviternity a rating (I'd ask for a genuine rating over pleading for 10/10 or whatever) I think that'd help it rank well.

You do not need to sign up to cast a vote for mod of the year, however you do need an account to give a rating. Thank you all very much!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/eviternity

Not going to make an account to give a rating (Although it deserves a 10) but smashed that vote button. Absolute genius wad, I hope to make maps 1/10th as good as this some day.

4 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

For what it's worth, I don't think Valiant: Vaccinated Edition has any rebalancing. It's simply "take it as-is" for people who want to play with gameplay mods.

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

That'd result in MBF Dogs, commander keens and whatnot being just... there. :P

I may or may not be correct. But as far as I remember, valiant's vaccinated edition simply replaced the custom monsters with closest matching vanilla monsters (like replacing cybruisers with barons and Pyro demons with hell knights etc)

Deviating from all this discussion of vaccination...

Myself and a handful of Eviternity's developers will be doing a stream together on December 10th which will start some time around 7:30pm - 8:00pm GMT (UK Timezone). To celebrate Eviternity's 1 year anniversary we'll be blasting through it on Coop, having a bit of a laugh and talking about the experiences we had while developing Eviternity. :)

The stream will take place on my Twitch channel, link's here for your convenience: https://www.twitch.tv/dragonflyos/

3 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

Deviating from all this discussion of vaccination...

Myself and a handful of Eviternity's developers will be doing a stream together on December 10th which will start some time around 7:30pm - 8:00pm. To celebrate Eviternity's 1 year anniversary we'll be blasting through it on Coop, having a bit of a laugh and talking about the experiences we had while developing Eviternity. :)

The stream will take place on my Twitch channel, link's here for your convenience: https://www.twitch.tv/dragonflyos/

7:30pm on which timezone?

I've started two days ago, first two chapters are great, second one looks awesome. Tomorrow I am going to continue.

Alright, i finished! (like two days ago actually)

Map29 is hands down the most amazing single map I have ever played. It's like some sort of beautiful child of ancient aliens and scythe 2, in terms of aesthetics and gameplay.

I was also wondering why I never heard the music repeat.

You put the ENTIRE Godhood suite in? You madman.

23 hours ago, Required field said:

Bug on map14.
Room with red skull opens from the inside only once. If you go in there second time you cant get out without noclip.

The door from the outside is DR Yellow Open/Close; from the inside it's D1 Red Open/Stay. So once you leave the room, the door should never close. You would have to 'open' the open door from the outside to initiate its action and close it. I suppose if you were fighting your way out of the room and closed the door, then kept opening it to kill monsters in the doorway, you would get stuck going back in for ammo afterwards. So you are 'technically' correct, but getting stuck is not automatic.

I finished this a few months ago, but never posted my notes because my HD crashed. I suppose with current talk of 'fixes' and 'vaccinated' versions, I should play it again. I remember two non-automatic softlocks, a few monsters that didn't teleport in and a couple of maps where I couldn't get all the Potions. Oh, and watching the Cyber-Barons in-fight and kill themselves with rocket splashes was amusing, too. Yeah, maybe over Christmas week, if I'm not too depressed.

13 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I suppose if you were fighting your way out of the room and closed the door, then kept opening it to kill monsters in the doorway, you would get stuck going back in for ammo afterwards.

Thats what I do.
I already finish it several times and now I play with monster replacement mods, which make some battles too hard.

Can I use eviternity's monster sprites? I want to adapt the monsters as an addon for Hideous Destructor... and it wouldn't really be eviternity monsters without the eviternity monsters, would it?

19 hours ago, Tartlman said:

Can I use eviternity's monster sprites? I want to adapt the monsters as an addon for Hideous Destructor... and it wouldn't really be eviternity monsters without the eviternity monsters, would it?

You may use them yes, but not without crediting the correct authors who are listed within Eviternity's Text Files.

In case you missed it, here's the Eviternity Anniversary Stream VOD. :)

I'm currently playing Eviternity with the Wrath of Cronos mod. Everything works fine, except for one game breaking glitch. For some reason the former captains are always invincible. I cannot kill them no matter what I do to them. Is there a console command I can type in to kill all former captains when I start a level, so they don't ruin it for me? I tried typing "kill former captain" but that didn't work.

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, Rahiin said:

I'm currently playing Eviternity with the Wrath of Cronos mod...

Seem like the wrong thread to ask this. I recommend you ask the creators of the mod you're using to couple Eviternity with.

Generally speaking, kristus is right -- gameplay mod compatibility issues are the domain of the gameplay mod developer; we're mappers here, we just make maps. :P

...but luckily for y'all, we did run into this exact problem during development and addressed it best we could: make sure Eviternity is loaded last, after the gameplay mod (i.e. wad load order is important), then the monsters oughta behave correctly.

The short-ish techy explanation is that Eviternity's DEHACKED monsters do not mix well with gameplay mods that modify the same monsters, but we also defined DECORATE versions, so they'll take precedence (i.e. work correctly) if Eviternity is loaded last.

As a heads-up, though, if the mod's gameplay systems rely heavily monster modifications (e.g. an RPG mod where killing monsters awards you XP or somesuch), they won't function on Eviternity's new baddies -- there's simply nothing we can do about that; the gameplay mod developer would need to provide a patch to support it themselves.

Is there a version of Eviternity that allows for custom weapons and enemies to be used? I try to use Freedoom with this wad but the weapons from Doom 2 appear in the animations.

I have a question about the use of vodoo dolls in this mapset. Do you have vodoo doll setups for just player 1? We tried playing online today and once player 1 went spectating the whole vodoo doll system broke, maps wouldn't function properly etc. I'm trying to find out if it's your setup or the mods we used.

On 12/21/2019 at 4:32 AM, warman2012 said:

Is there a version of Eviternity that allows for custom weapons and enemies to be used? I try to use Freedoom with this wad but the weapons from Doom 2 appear in the animations.

I'm unable to test from here but that should be an impossibility due to not including the original weapon sprites in Eviternity - double check you're not running BOTH Doom II and Freedoom. If you're playing with actual gameplay mods as your post implies, be sure to read Xaser's post which is directly above yours regarding load order.

1 hour ago, IvanDobrovski said:

I have a question about the use of vodoo dolls in this mapset. Do you have vodoo doll setups for just player 1? We tried playing online today and once player 1 went spectating the whole vodoo doll system broke, maps wouldn't function properly etc. I'm trying to find out if it's your setup or the mods we used.

Yes, they use player 1 voodoo dolls - this issue didn't come up in testing as nobody when testing typically disconnected or spectated, sorry about that.

3 hours ago, IvanDobrovski said:

Try making sure "sv_coopunassignedvoodoodolls" is true in Zandro, or whatever the analogous flag is in another port. With how common doll scripts are, any decent MP port really should be robust against something as basic as player 1 leaving. Duplicating every conveyor would be an extremely kludgy requirement of the mapper. 

11 hours ago, rdwpa said:

Try making sure "sv_coopunassignedvoodoodolls" is true in Zandro, or whatever the analogous flag is in another port. With how common doll scripts are, any decent MP port really should be robust against something as basic as player 1 leaving. Duplicating every conveyor would be an extremely kludgy requirement of the mapper. 

I'm glad to hear that there's a solution! Thanks!

This is absolutely a work of art! Thanks to everyone involved for their great efforts. I really enjoyed playing through these maps.

According to gzdoom "profilethinkers" console command, map 32 have 5596 scroller thinkers i.e. thing which scroll textures om walls/ceilings/floors/etc.
Is there are really that huge amount of scrollers, or its related to this bug
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66672&p=1128474&hilit=scroller#p1128227
In short, line action 254 - "Scroll Wall according to Line Vector", have buggy parameter implementation.

Dont count it myself, because I almost sure its bug.

20 hours ago, CodeImp said:

This is absolutely a work of art! Thanks to everyone involved for their great efforts. I really enjoyed playing through these maps.

Thank you for playing! Also, while you're here, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you for all your work on mapping utilities over the years. Were it not for DB1 being a thing back in 2005 and its relative ease of use, I wouldn't be mapping today!

17 hours ago, Required field said:

Is there are really that huge amount of scrollers, or its related to this bug

Despite that map's immense size, I can't imagine there being over 5k scrollers in the map, so yeah it is probably related to that bug. Interesting!

Hmm

48 - Scroll texture left - 2766 items found
85 - Scroll texture right - 2703 items found
252 - Scroll move things according to line vector - 1 item found
253 - Scroll floor, move things - 8 items found

5478 total

This time its definitely bug. Map or gzdoom, not sure.

Map19, linedef 2434, and lines around it, in map editor, warp coordinates -412 -2908 408. Move around warped position to trigger line which reveal spiders and wait a little until they start shoot.
There are fully textured wall to the right of you after you warp to position , which in fact doublesided line. It have impassable flags on it, but projectiles fly through it.
Reason, there are sector "inside" this lines, sector 5320, which exist for some reason.

Projectiles pass through impassable lines, that's always been a normal behavior of the Doom engine. The typical example is monsters in a cage, like that imp on MAP01 near the exit door. Or the E1M9 courtyard.

j6S50DF.png

Putting monsters shooting at you through fully opaque midtextures is also a classic Doom trick. Like in those bony tunnels in MAP28.