Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

13 hours ago, FerrFerr said:

Apart from that tho. I absolutely recommend activating coop monsters if you want a different and much harder experience.

I did, and Drain kicked my ass. Yes, Drain. It's clearly doable though...

Thank you for making and sharing Eviternity. It's amazing and I'm having a great time playing through it.

I understand this is the final release, but I wanted to report something in case you were interested. I died twice going through the final exit portal in Map 15: Crynology and had to start from my last save rather than continue to the next level. Specifically the Stonehedge-esque exit (specifying because my Youtube searches showed a different exit in this level). The third time I tried going through the portal I was able to progress to the next level. I thought this might be a problem for speedrunners.

I played this on Doom Retro v4.2.2 with no other mods.

Again, I respect your decision to keep the release final but thought you might be interested in this info.

Edited by Carnifex

22 minutes ago, Carnifex said:

Thank you for making and sharing Eviternity. It's amazing and I'm having a great time playing through it.

I understand this is the final release, but I wanted to report something in case you were interested. I died twice going through the final exit portal in Map 15: Crynology and had to start from my last save rather than continue to the next level. Specifically the Stonehedge-esque exit (specifying because my Youtube searches showed a different exit in this level). The third time I tried going through the portal I was able to progress to the next level. I thought this might be a problem for speedrunners.

I played this on Doom Retro v4.2.2 with no other mods.

Again, I respect your decision to keep the release final but thought you might be interested in this info.

I think if you hit certain keys in certain ports during a death exit, it will restart the level instead of progressing to the next level as normal.

Edit: Went and tried it out.

The first time I was spamming the use key, second time hands off keyboard.

Edited by Magicana

48 minutes ago, Carnifex said:

@Magicana Thanks for the answer and providing the footage. I'll be more careful in the future when exiting levels.

All good.

This was a handy reminder that I was half way through a replay of Evilternity! I really should get back into it.

Hi, my first time with this mod. Impressive first level already.

I've set up GZDoom to be as vanilla as possible, as starting point for Eviternity.

What extra features should I enable to have the intended experience? Thanks.

• jumping
  • moving under/above enemies
  • mouselook
  • custom automap colors
  • anything else I missed?

13 minutes ago, Nilex said:

Hi, my first time with this mod. Impressive first level already.

I've set up GZDoom to be as vanilla as possible, as starting point for Eviternity.

What extra features should I enable to have the intended experience? Thanks.

• jumping
  • moving under/above enemies
  • mouselook
  • custom automap colors
  • anything else I missed?

No jumping/crouching, no moving under/above enemies, no mouselook (I assume you're referring to looking up/down). In GZDoom's compatibility flags options, you can probably just use the "Boom (strict)" preset. I don't know if Eviternity was designed with any particular automap colors or other visual settings in mind, but if you're aiming for a vanilla-ish look, this guide should help:

28 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

you can probably just use the "Boom (strict)" preset.

Eviternity is MBF, not Boom. So you should actually use MBF(strict) if you want the intended experience @Nilex.

Things like jumping, mouselook and such are most likely already set to what they're intended by the wad via ZMAPINFO, so i wouldn't worry about that.

The video above is actually what I used to set it up some weeks ago. Small world, hehe.

Then I shall set MBF (strict) and revert those fancy Hardware Rendering options back to GZ defaults (Tonemap/Lightmode/night vision). Hell, may even throw in particles/decals/transparency. When it rains it pours, right. Very interested to see how long it takes me to grab the elusive Minigun because I gave up thinking jumping was involved. Anyway thanks again, you two gave me exactly what I wanted.

UPDATE: found out this to be the most important non-vanilla/non-default option.

Display Options > Hardware Rendered (Full Menu) > Sector light mode: Standard

In addition to megawad seemingly being designed around this, it makes 2 Imps in grated alcoves on opposite side actually visible (MAP 01 on UV), as well as making discovering 2nd secret more user-friendly (akin to OG Doom). Highly recommend this option for those few who stumble on this post. Least I forget, transparency feature still sucks at it ever has. From one purists to another: turn dat sheit off like your life depends on it!

Edited by Nilex : extra info tidbit, after some GZ tinkering and plowing through this entire topic

13 hours ago, Nilex said:

In addition to megawad seemingly being designed around this

While I do play with that light mode quite often; it's okay for it to be dark. Anywhere the player needs to go is illuminated accordingly - you'll soon realise there's some imps behind bars when fireballs come from there, after all. :)

16 hours ago, Nilex said:

Least I forget, transparency feature still sucks at it ever has. From one purists to another: turn dat sheit off like your life depends on it!

That's all fine if you're talking about projectiles, but there are some levels that make use of translucent walls (MAP22 for example), so make sure you're not disabling that.

@Dragonfly

Too dark can be a serious design flaw. Infinitely dark in this case, turning tactical approach into trial&error. Two Imps are easy enough, but how about 2 Masterminds shooting you off into a death pit. Not an unimaginable future from my perspective since it's only the 1st level. Alcoves' depth also cannot be visually gauged (anyone here trusts automap?). Could be 1m deep or a 100m tunnel leading into secret area perhaps. Actual 2nd secret is a tedious wall hunt with any setting other than "Standard". Luckily everything on my end gets resolved by that singe switch (from pre-existing default setup) so I deemed it worthy of mention. Really does make that much of a difference.

Speaking for myself, it's mostly about where player doesn't need to go. Roughly 3/4 of the fun is getting into designer's head trying to figure out where did he put the next secret, or an Easter egg if we are lucky. Enemies serve as little more than a resource management distraction to achieve that goal. The other 1/4 being the story no matter how sparse. Olden days of enjoyable and thoughtful enemy placement (MAP08: Barons+Cybie & Rocket+Pinkys) in FPS are long gone I'm afraid.

Of course, the impact of the setting may vary widely depending on other display options, physical hardware (maybe even drivers), and addons. I suspect it hasn't been brought up before mostly because it's not as pronounced on other systems, people not caring for details, and those that do care know how to fine-tune their setup. I care but still learning the tuning part since this will be my first vanilla-incompatible WAD. God knows GZ is anything but user-friendly when it comes to its config menu.

Anyway since you decided to show up I'll take the opportunity to congratulate you on a very impressive looking project. Over the years I learned to read between the lines to see what I'll end up liking, and what can I dismiss right away based on the first half of first promotional sentence of most other projects. Valuable trait in my age and broad interests, saving time only for creme-de-la-creme the world has to offer. This looks lit AF, Thank you :)

@Shepardus

Yeah I meant projectiles specifically. Geez they look hideous transparent. Like trying to spit after chewing a mouthful of Haribo gummy bears. Is there a separate transparency switch for level geometry or is it shared with projectiles? I don't shy away from config diving if need be... Engine search spat out 4 MAPs: 09/15/22/23 so I'll keep my eyes pealed. In any case Thanks for the heads-up!

I played this with the software renderer, which I'm pretty sure is darker than any GL light setting that GZDoom has. It's fine. I promise you there are no ninja Masterminds.

BUG report: MAP32 (Anagnorisis) has a rather obvious graphical + soft-lock glitch switch.

Set of stairs further down retracts leaving you unable to get out of the small enclosed pit.

Adjusting "sprite clipping" has no visual effect.

Eviternity v1.0; GZDoom v4.7.0.

To reproduce: load save and activate switch in front of you, the side it activates from.

909974013_MAP32Soft-lockswitch.png.1fc4c7afa326b1fa8a6cbcd079643bf1.png

save0.7z

The sprite glitch is not present in other ports, and is purely cosmetic. That the switch can be activated multiple times, even when it's "hidden", is indeed an error/bug. But there should always be a path out of the area, IIRC, even when this happens.

Switch is single use. No way out (MBF Strict).

Going the intended red key path and opening all doors (or most, I lost count) makes switch go away into the structure. Functionally it can still be activated which makes the aforementioned stairs one-way only, as before. However in this scenario there are many ways out. I reported the one where there are none.

Completing roughly 75% of your colossus, I have to ask - would it killed you if you'd placed couple rad suits around (UV)? Perfect map otherwise. '90s dream come true.

I'd have to check on softlock; In my testing there was always a way out regardless of path/sequence, but red building is such a mindfuck that I might have missed some setup.

As for absence of rad suits: It's intentional and understandably not in everyone's taste. The idea is that adding them would imply the lava is worth exploring, which is not the case nor how the level is designed, save for one megasphere secret (which you can spot from other angles). Having no rad suits conveys the role of the lava: A structural foe and enforcer of the various paths through the level.

"90s dream come true" hits home; I've been at this since 94 and wanted to distill all those years into a level that represents my initial (and continuing) awe for Doom. So thank you very much for that sentiment.