Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

I don't know if I am just bad but... 

https://prnt.sc/lu8lb4

This encounter can go commit die. It's mainly hurt by the astral cacos, which may I add, are probably the most ridiculously overpowered enemy I have seen. Sure, in open spaces they may seem fine, but if you get too close they can one shot you, even from a solid 100 health 100 armor. Personally, I think they could probably use a nerf. They shouldn't just be able to leap out in front of you and one shot you from full health, it feels really really cheap. It doesn't help that most of the time I see them, it's in a closed space where I have no room to dodge their projectiles. (I am sure that's the point, but that doesn't change the fact that it just feels cheap.)

The entire WAD up until this point? Some of the best shit ever. The music is great, the maps look beautiful. The gameplay is generally fantastic (minus that arena fight, which made me super angry). I'm happy I took time to play this, it's been fun so far.

Map's 2 and 3 MIDI are superb, holy shit!

I've got time to play until level 5. Very fun stuff. Sometimes a bit grindy, but there's always space for the player to leave some foes alive (mainly HK's). I wish there was a bit more of rocket ammo, but tbh it's probably only me who loves it a lot lol

I still haven't finished map 5, these new demons are crowd control freaks lol I have to figure out a better strategy to deal with the monsters

Edited by Deadwing

33 minutes ago, Pure Hellspawn said:

i had the Map31 key issue, does the small door with the red skull require the blue key or red?

It's supposed to require a red key, and then it takes you to an encounter that then gives you the blue key, but it is bugged, so the only way forward is to type "give blueskull". Just pretend you don't have it until you get it proper.

2 hours ago, Chloroxite said:

This encounter can go commit die. It's mainly hurt by the astral cacos, which may I add, are probably the most ridiculously overpowered enemy I have seen. Sure, in open spaces they may seem fine, but if you get too close they can one shot you, even from a solid 100 health 100 armor. Personally, I think they could probably use a nerf. They shouldn't just be able to leap out in front of you and one shot you from full health, it feels really really cheap. It doesn't help that most of the time I see them, it's in a closed space where I have no room to dodge their projectiles. (I am sure that's the point, but that doesn't change the fact that it just feels cheap.)

The entire WAD up until this point? Some of the best shit ever. The music is great, the maps look beautiful. The gameplay is generally fantastic (minus that arena fight, which made me super angry). I'm happy I took time to play this, it's been fun so far.

Agreed.  Firstly on the Astral Cacos, it's a bit much combining their mobility and their massive firepower.  I would be fine if they were toned down a tad.

On this encounter and MAP14 in general.  I really like the map, even though it's a much different style (more arena-like, than the Dragonfly exploration focus).  But the difficulty is way out of wack.  I finished the first episode on HMP, raised that up to UV for the 2nd episode - and finished many of the maps without dying.  MAP14 is insane.  I lowered it back to HMP and still it was incredibly punishing.  I think the difficulty spike is just too much, such a great map and megawad deserves a bit more tuning here IMO.

On that note, MAP15 is also extremely difficult.  Like 1/4 of the way through on HMP, I just said screw it and IDKFA'd it.  Even with BFG and full ammo the encounters were ridiculously overpowered.  Obviously the map style is again quite different, this time slaughter.  I think style changes are ok in a megawad but difficulty spikes are not ideal.  Once I got to MAP16, everything went back to a smooth difficulty curve (on MAP18 now).  Just my two cents, curious to hear how others found this section of the megawad.

2 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Map's 2 and 3 MIDI are superb, holy shit!

I still haven't finished map 5, these new demons are crowd control freaks lol I have to figure out a better strategy to deal with the monsters

I love these MIDIs too! Map5 is impossible if you use wrong strategy, i was ready to curse whole world until i have found how to play it. Hint: after pressing button on high platform, run down to opposite side of map, there is very low platform in corner. Monsters from opening walls can't see that spot, so many of them will remain deaf.

I've just completed this, and I've got to say, this is a top-notch mapset. Thank you, Dragonfly and everyone else involved in the project! I've had a lot of fun playing through this one! I will be sure to replay this whenever you release the final version :)

8 hours ago, Chloroxite said:

That one is nothing, wait till you get to the one right after the blue key :)

This would have been all right if I had the BFG, it's probably in a secret somewhere before but I've missed it. Sadly, this map is the lowest point of the megawad so far, because of the difficulty - otherwise this looks great. I'm playing on HMP myself and this one is a slog. Currently taking a break from the encounter after the blue key since I'm feeling I'm hitting a wall here and I'm considering IDDQD'ing it to proceed.

And Astral Cacodemons? Fuck these guys, seriously.

MAP32: Is it really intended that there's BFG here only for UV?

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181213_105209.jpg.726245367880e1377221b70d6a914f21.jpg

Damn, this is a beautiful and complex map. 

Another issue in MAP32:

Spoiler

After pressing this button:

Screenshot_Doom_20181213_112141.jpg.fefab25fd10cc084eae3d1b1e777e90d.jpg

I tried to go through the passage which just opened but couldn't because a green demon was stuck above blocking the way with its infinite height. GZDooM's (3.6.0) autoaim couldn't hit it so only option was to freemouse it:

Screenshot_Doom_20181213_112152.jpg.3fc980c1c64b8f43a32c86aae845d4e4.jpg

I'm appreciating the honest feedback; thank you everyone! We are steadily making progress on RC2 and look forward to more feedback in regards to the 2nd half of the WAD. :)

I'll monster block that, and have the greenies start higher up.

Damn, another good catch! It's a mistake I'm quite sure, will address it tonight. This often happens when you're lazy and want something to lower while also teleporting something in, so you use the same tag and not a voodoo doll setup.

By this rate, RC2 will be super solid :-)

2 minutes ago, ukiro said:

Damn, another good catch! It's a mistake I'm quite sure, will address it tonight. This often happens when you're lazy and want something to lower while also teleporting something in, so you use the same tag and not a voodoo doll setup.

By this rate, RC2 will be super solid :-)

Or forget a sky transfer outside like I had in development phase of my map a couple of times at least :D

Speaking of conveyor belts, in Map13 Pathfinder, the tops of the bars blocking the blue switch in the tower are also conveyor belts - I didn't report earlier since I thought that was some kind of hack to prevent sequence breaking with some kind of collision glitch or something :)

Screenshot_Doom_20181213_110634.png

8 hours ago, grahf said:

Agreed.  Firstly on the Astral Cacos, it's a bit much combining their mobility and their massive firepower.  I would be fine if they were toned down a tad.

On this encounter and MAP14 in general.  I really like the map, even though it's a much different style (more arena-like, than the Dragonfly exploration focus).  But the difficulty is way out of wack.  I finished the first episode on HMP, raised that up to UV for the 2nd episode - and finished many of the maps without dying.  MAP14 is insane.  I lowered it back to HMP and still it was incredibly punishing.  I think the difficulty spike is just too much, such a great map and megawad deserves a bit more tuning here IMO.

On that note, MAP15 is also extremely difficult.  Like 1/4 of the way through on HMP, I just said screw it and IDKFA'd it.  Even with BFG and full ammo the encounters were ridiculously overpowered.  Obviously the map style is again quite different, this time slaughter.  I think style changes are ok in a megawad but difficulty spikes are not ideal.  Once I got to MAP16, everything went back to a smooth difficulty curve (on MAP18 now).  Just my two cents, curious to hear how others found this section of the megawad.

I have finished the first three episodes on HMP (including secret levels). The massive fight on MAP05 was the worst so far. The last fight on MAP14 was hard but I accidentally ran to the exit, so it could have been harder than the fight on MAP05 had I stayed in the level. The yellow skull key fight was pretty tough on MAP15 but manageable if you took cover at edges of the area and relied on infighting.

I haven't had too much of a hard time on UV, pointed out some texture misalignments while streaming on twitch by standing on location for a while as I don't have the possibility to use a microphone. Map05 was definitely a challenge, was completely taken off guard there for a moment. I also accidently used a well-known gimmick to exit the level. :D

Map15 I didn't really find hard, but didn't realize I was on map15 until afterwards and forgot to be on the lookout for the secret exit. Will have to warp into map31 after I've completed the whole thing. Currently at map19, which I'll be streaming again probably on sunday after I'm done with the musical adventures of the weekend.

Do keep in mind I cocked up on MAP31, so you'll have to give yourself a blue key or noclip when you encounter a red door that needs a blue key.

I join on saying Astrals should be nerfed a bit. Otherwise great set so far! Through Level 10. Haven't found anything not in the changelog or pointed out already.

Eviternity was propably the most looking forward doom mod of this year and it's great to see this relleased. You guys did some wonderful job. Didn't play much yet but the mood coming up from maps is really solid and the level design is just perfect and have some smart and cool ideas. Is fun to play it and the gameplay feels good yet some places needs some better balancing anyway i'm looking forward to play more.

RC2 has some plans. The center 'powerfireball' on the Astral Caco will be replaced with a single caco-ball instead, but I feel taking away any of it's other assets would be a disservice to the creature; it's supposed to be an intimidating foe that scares you.

Hopefully you'll all find the changes we're making to be satisfactory though! :D

I didn't find Astral Cacos too hard either, just needed to adapt to their pattern. Of course the fireballs are dangerous but after learning their pattern it's easier to manage them and just kill them as quickly as possible. Maybe it's because I've played DOOM2016 on NM and UNM most of the time :D

Map04: when platform with megasphere is completely down in water, secret can't get registered. If i climb on platform before it gets to water, secret gets registered. PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

@Jimmy Is that the "Everything Explodes" I think it is? Is good old Jimmy giving GothicDM some love and attention in this WAD?

I'm a big fan of the soundtracks of both GothicDM's (not counting 99); regularly listen to them even when playing other games, so they've certainly grown on me. I'm baffled by how little I see them used in the community; guess it's just a little more obscure than something like MM or Requiem soundtrack?