Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

OTEX texture set – UPDATE 2020: Version 1.1 released!

Tomorrow Wednesday July 17th at 7pm CET, 1pm ET, 10am PST, and 666 o'clock or whatever in New Zealand, I'll do a texture stream going over techniques and process. If you can, come hang out and ask questions! Stream will be here.

Commenting for two reasons,

One to say how beautiful the textures are. Very beautiful.

Second, so I know when it gets a final release so I can cover up how ugly my maps are with these beautiful textures.

Thanks a lot for your efforts, Ola. I just started mapping and enjoy the process. Your textures really give a nice atmosphere thats both in context with the old feeling and makes doom look a lot better. I really love the rock textures and the hanging vine... Thanks a lot for that! 

screen_1.png

Great stuff!  I've just had a browse through the update and am really liking a lot of the new textures and changes that have been added.  I recognise a few textures from Sunder maps 16 and 17 also that I don't recall being in v0.9.

I've been hearing about this for a while but haven't looked into it till now, and I am kicking my self for it.
Looks stunning!

Can confirm that a bunch of maps are going to result from this; I may or may not be working on something now. Congrats on the release, it's a great set!

Congratulations on the release! As you may or may not have seen, I've been smashing away at a mapset that uses OTEX.

I want to say congratulations to the 1.0 release here as well.

Otex is clearly something different and a labour of love. Whereas most texture packs are either ripped from a variety of sources (thus clashing at every corner), very specific (Ancient Aliens Textures) or feature 50 % id software assets repurposed, recolored or frankensteined, Otex is by far the most coherent, comprehensive, versatile, handmade and beautiful texture pack out there. I am a newbie to the Doom mapping scene, but as far as I know there is nothing out there, that comes even close.

I am honored to have witnessed the birth of the new defacto standard texture pack for Doom mappers, which will be in heavy use till Doom turns 100 and probably beyond.

Very glad to see this get a full release! I'll have to play smart with limiting myself to sub-sets of OTEX before I really grasp how to mix and match across the whole collection.

As I kind of expected, there were errors. OSWTCHK0 does not have a corresponding on state as there isn't an OSWTCHK1 right now. I will wait a little bit to see what else there might be before posting an update. Reporting bugs via the discord server are much encouraged, thanks to @Aquila Chrysaetos for finding this one.

For now, you can use OSWTCHK0 even though it won't animate, and it will just work later when I make the update.

Congratulations on the full release. There’s no overstating how impressive this pack truly is. 

Eviternity was my introduction to these textures, and a beautiful one at that, which really helped me visualize and experience some of the incredible ways that this pack can be used. 

Thank you for this outstanding work, and the generous contribution! 

Absolutely brilliant! I've been waiting for 1.0 to finally start messing around with this set. This is a major contribution to the community, and should be a huge contender for a Cacoward this year.

Congratulations on the release of 1.0! Even though i personally don't map i'm sure that people will take full advantage of this amazing contribution :)

Really awesome. I just wish you'd have put it under a Creative Commons license (probably BY-NC-SA?), that way it'd been clearer what people are allowed to do, and what they have to do.

1 hour ago, boris said:

Really awesome. I just wish you'd have put it under a Creative Commons license (probably BY-NC-SA?), that way it'd been clearer what people are allowed to do, and what they have to do.

There’s stuff in there derived from sources I don’t have the right to put under such a license. Ideally I find the time, energy and skill to replace those some day, but that won’t happen anytime soon.

I am kind of confused on how to get skies to work properly on PrBoom+ when using OTEX. I seem to only be able to get HOM skies, even when I add an actual "SKY1" texture to the TEXTURE2 definitions. are sky transfers my only option, or am I overlooking something?

Sky Transfers is the intended solution for anything targeting engines that support it. Dig around in Eviternity for examples of implementations. 

If you’re going for another engine, making a SKYtexture is the way to go. But note that vanilla will crash on skies taller than 128 pixels.