Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

OTEX texture set released!

Just WoW.

Sorry but there's nothing else that comes to my mind right now.

Congratulations on the release. Can't wait to see the textures up close and personal, when I play those maps.

Thanks so much for releasing these for us! This is better than Xmas! Just in time for my B'day too ; )  (Dec 13)

I'll absolutely be putting these textures to good use in the future and hopefully creating something that makes you glad that you released them : )

OMG I just checked them out and these textures are so good and so useable! I especially like OBNKRE39 but actually there are so many good textures to work with here. Stunning and inspiring work by Ukiro. 

Edited by PeterMoro : spelling

I am astonished by the textures, of frickin course i want to use them but as a disciplined doomer i'll wait patiently for 1.0 to arrive along with loosened terms and conditions. 

1 minute ago, Gabenslair said:

I am astonished by the textures, of frickin course i want to use them but as a disciplined doomer i'll wait patiently for 1.0 to arrive along with loosened terms and conditions. 

You can start mapping with them now, I just ask that they're not bundled with a wad for release in their current form.

59 minutes ago, ukiro said:

You can start mapping with them now, I just ask that they're not bundled with a wad for release in their current form.

yeah i'm cool with toying around with them and making niche map tests with them, i just dont wanna release anything till it gets finished. I'm just worried that inevitably something along the lines of the attached meme might happen.

P.S. Absolute fantastic textures, some of them had me scratching my head like "why wasn't this a thing till now?" Can't wait until a that little extra "effort" goes into it. Once 1.0 or by some encore a 1.1 happens, will the future form be allowed for editing alongside including parts/whole of the texture wad?

cluelessdood.png

Ironically, after waiting so long I think I'm going to wait a few more days before actually downloading the texture set and looking at it in the editor.  The main reason is that I'm still playing through Eviternity, and I want the textures to be fresh and new when I see them 'in the wild', as it were. :V

The techbase textures from Map06 of Evilternity.  Holy crap!  The style is so cohesive, so awesome.  I could see this stuff in one of those new Doom/Duke-like retro games (Ion Maiden etc) being released on Steam commercially.  It's THAT good. :o

Out of curiosity, will the OTEX.wad file act as a texture replacement if loaded with vanilla Doom/2 or a vanilla texture mapset?

54 minutes ago, Gideon020 said:

Out of curiosity, will the OTEX.wad file act as a texture replacement if loaded with vanilla Doom/2 or a vanilla texture mapset?

No, it doesn’t replace any existing textures, not even skies. You can make a map with OTEX that also uses vanilla resources from any doom iwad, but that combination currently only works in gzdoom since prboom and a few others can’t load two PNAMES lumps at once, and the one in OTEX doesn’t contain iwad lump pointers. So 

So, I am playing Eviternity at the moment and it amazed me how much more you can appreciate those textures whilst actually playing. This is by far the most polished, good looking, coherent and well made texture pack I have seen so far. Very well done, it‘s just incredible how „different“ Eviternity looks from all the other things out there. 

Can‘t wait to brush up my skills and also try myself on a humble map. Have much to learn first, though. Don‘t want to desecrate those textures. xd

OTEX is amazing. Some of these textures fill the dark oppressing aesthetic Quake provides while also having enough variety to cover about every setting I can think of! I can't wait to use this in my upcoming level.

It is indeed. That's me from 2011, and there's a switch that's me in 1999 or 2000.

54 minutes ago, ukiro said:

It is indeed. That's me from 2011, and there's a switch that's me in 1999 or 2000.

I think i seen that one as well. It kinda looked silly when compared to the other badass switches and face sculptures so I seemed like it had to be a photograph of a friend or the author himself.