Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ukiro

OTEX texture set – UPDATE 2020: Version 1.1 released!

Congratulations on the release. Can't wait to see the textures up close and personal, when I play those maps.

Thanks so much for releasing these for us! This is better than Xmas! Just in time for my B'day too ; )  (Dec 13)

I'll absolutely be putting these textures to good use in the future and hopefully creating something that makes you glad that you released them : )

OMG I just checked them out and these textures are so good and so useable! I especially like OBNKRE39 but actually there are so many good textures to work with here. Stunning and inspiring work by Ukiro. 

Edited by PeterMoro : spelling

I am astonished by the textures, of frickin course i want to use them but as a disciplined doomer i'll wait patiently for 1.0 to arrive along with loosened terms and conditions. 

1 minute ago, Gabenslair said:

I am astonished by the textures, of frickin course i want to use them but as a disciplined doomer i'll wait patiently for 1.0 to arrive along with loosened terms and conditions. 

You can start mapping with them now, I just ask that they're not bundled with a wad for release in their current form.

Ironically, after waiting so long I think I'm going to wait a few more days before actually downloading the texture set and looking at it in the editor.  The main reason is that I'm still playing through Eviternity, and I want the textures to be fresh and new when I see them 'in the wild', as it were. :V

The techbase textures from Map06 of Evilternity.  Holy crap!  The style is so cohesive, so awesome.  I could see this stuff in one of those new Doom/Duke-like retro games (Ion Maiden etc) being released on Steam commercially.  It's THAT good. :o

Out of curiosity, will the OTEX.wad file act as a texture replacement if loaded with vanilla Doom/2 or a vanilla texture mapset?

54 minutes ago, Gideon020 said:

Out of curiosity, will the OTEX.wad file act as a texture replacement if loaded with vanilla Doom/2 or a vanilla texture mapset?

No, it doesn’t replace any existing textures, not even skies. You can make a map with OTEX that also uses vanilla resources from any doom iwad, but that combination currently only works in gzdoom since prboom and a few others can’t load two PNAMES lumps at once, and the one in OTEX doesn’t contain iwad lump pointers. So 

So, I am playing Eviternity at the moment and it amazed me how much more you can appreciate those textures whilst actually playing. This is by far the most polished, good looking, coherent and well made texture pack I have seen so far. Very well done, it‘s just incredible how „different“ Eviternity looks from all the other things out there. 

Can‘t wait to brush up my skills and also try myself on a humble map. Have much to learn first, though. Don‘t want to desecrate those textures. xd

OTEX is amazing. Some of these textures fill the dark oppressing aesthetic Quake provides while also having enough variety to cover about every setting I can think of! I can't wait to use this in my upcoming level.

It is indeed. That's me from 2011, and there's a switch that's me in 1999 or 2000.

54 minutes ago, ukiro said:

It is indeed. That's me from 2011, and there's a switch that's me in 1999 or 2000.

I think i seen that one as well. It kinda looked silly when compared to the other badass switches and face sculptures so I seemed like it had to be a photograph of a friend or the author himself.

I've added an OTEX discord so I can consolidate feedback and discussions in one place. If you're working on something using these textures, it might be good to have in your server list. https://discord.gg/Hq53kEa

Hey Ukiro, I completed The Darkened Outpost, breifly played Cabal, and am currently playing Eviternity and I'm amazed at how beautiful this texture set is and how well it works with everything I've seen it with, awesome job. I was reading thru Trinity's thread and I was just curious, is it possible to have this work alongside any textures implemented in any maps when loaded separate? If you've answered this already my apologies, I just saw the Usage and Distribution briefly as well.

OTEX will at some future point be free for anyone to use however they see fit, except for commercial projects.

But we are not at that point yet: Right now I ask that OTEX assets are not bundled with any levels or other distributed files since it's still a work in progress, and I want to limit the amount of incomplete, old and outdated versions are in circulation. Instead, if you release a project right now that relies on OTEX, ask users to load OTEX alongside your WAD or PK3.

I do however encourage people to create levels using OTEX as much as possible, and I do make exceptions and allow textures to be bundled with projects if I think there is sufficient cause. Eviternity is the prime example, and more are coming.

OTEX uses the TEXTURE2 lump rather than TEXTURE1 from DOOM2.WAD, which means that in GZDoom you can use IWAD textures + OTEX textures in the same map, or OTEX + CC4-TEX or any other resource pack that relies on TEXTURE1 for their texture index. However, this does not work in PrBoomPlus for example; It can only ever load one PNAMES lump, which means the texture definitions in the TEXTURE* lumps get messed up.

So basically in GZDoom you can easily mix & match OTEX with something else, but for (most?) other engines you pretty much need to wait until you can bundle the textures with the WAD.

45 minutes ago, ukiro said:

Right now I ask that OTEX assets are not bundled with any levels or other distributed files since it's still a work in progress, and I want to limit the amount of incomplete, old and outdated versions are in circulation. Instead, if you release a project right now that relies on OTEX, ask users to load OTEX alongside your WAD or PK3.

OTEX uses the TEXTURE2 lump rather than TEXTURE1 from DOOM2.WAD, which means that in GZDoom you can use IWAD textures + OTEX textures in the same map, or OTEX + CC4-TEX or any other resource pack that relies on TEXTURE1 for their texture index. However, this does not work in PrBoomPlus for example; It can only ever load one PNAMES lump, which means the texture definitions in the TEXTURE* lumps get messed up.

So basically in GZDoom you can easily mix & match OTEX with something else, but for (most?) other engines you pretty much need to wait until you can bundle the textures with the WAD.

Makes sense to load it separate since its not yet finished and will be updated in the future, the last two paragraphs answered my question perfectly. Thank you ukiro, can't wait to see more projects using this:)

I'm personally waiting on the final release because I only really need a small portion of textures for my current mapset.

In the future I'd definitely try to participate in community projects that use OTEX, to experiment with it before that :)

Still, this is a high quality pack so I'd really rather wait and see what else can be made and worked with.

So I just wanted to drop by and say that after playing quite a bit of Eviternity, this is quite possibly one of the most gorgeous texture packs, if not THE most gorgeous pack I've ever seen. I don't think I've anticipated the full release and completion of a texture pack before.

I do have one question, though. What exactly is this symbol (and if applicable, what does it represent)? I ask as I just kind of find it fascinating (not quite a Hell symbol yet not quite UAC either).

O9P_0K_1.png.e595b70592ea99504ecba5b03dd428a3.png

Thanks!

Obviously UAC is the original logo in the doom universe, but my main inspiration has always been Quake 2 and how its military-esque winged emblem was used liberally across its textures. Those impressions from Quake 2 are what lead me to introduce the logo in Darkening Episode 2:

logga.jpg.a3717091f21bb5b8a0b63ddca86caaa1.jpg

Note, This is squished vertically to 83% to compensate for Doom's non-square pixels. The logo is meant to be entirely symmetrical.

I felt this was fairly successful back in that project; The logo, while not terribly inventive, became somewhat iconic and its multi pronged symmetry invoked vibes of industrial mega corporations and oppressive regimes. For a long time I resisted the urge to do something similar with OTEX: It felt a little cheap to just smear a logo on things to spice them up rather than to draw out actual details and more inventive designs, and as I wanted OTEX to be very universal it felt less appropriate to have some very specific design like this.

Buuuut… I obviously relented, in part because Dragonfly was nagging me about a logo IIRC, and also because I came up with this new design that I felt was neat for several reasons. First, it feels like a natural sequel of the Darkening logo: That had two proms per arm, and this new one has three. They're both three-way symmetrical too, so there's a sense of familiarity. It also feels even more sinister with its more jagged edges and is a little bit more unique. So I decided to include it, but also made a point of having logo free versions of all those textures for anyone wanting to avoid this specific "identity" for their tech bases.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:36 AM, ukiro said:

Thanks!

Obviously UAC is the original logo in the doom universe, but my main inspiration has always been Quake 2 and how its military-esque winged emblem was used liberally across its textures. Those impressions from Quake 2 are what lead me to introduce the logo in Darkening Episode 2:

logga.jpg.a3717091f21bb5b8a0b63ddca86caaa1.jpg

Note, This is squished vertically to 83% to compensate for Doom's non-square pixels. The logo is meant to be entirely symmetrical.

I don’t know why, but I actually gave both the respective logos actual names and brief backstories out of a spur-of-the-moment deal. 

The newest triangular logo (the one found in Eviternity) I’ve decided to call Darkstar. On the other hand, the logo you mentioned as appearing in The Darkening E2 I’ve found would be best suited for an organization called Morgenstern. 

I guess in my own headcanon, both these organizations operate separately from the UAC. Darkstar is more of a military organization that utilizes bioengineered supersoldiers to combat extraterrestrial threats and is like the BSAA to the UAC’s Umbrella. Morgenstern is more or less a private contractor that provides manpower to the UAC for military experiments (though this may be subject to expansion). 

I don’t know why, but I felt it would be appropriate for both logos to have a sort of story behind them, as opposed to a simple logo that implies UAC involvement.