Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

Anyone else wish Romero made a spiritual successor that pushes the Doom engine to the very limits? Something like Ion Maiden.

Now that you mention it, yes, that would have been cool. No offense to the Voidpoint team, but I will take the Doom engine over BUILD any day.

Would something like Total Chaos count as limit-pushing, though? I mean, I know it runs on GZDoom, but that is still the Doom engine, right?

2 hours ago, kmxexii said:

I doubt whether the person you are quoting has much if any interesting in The Plutonia Experiment.

you are absolutely right. i found plutonia very boring. and it has nothing to do with its technical level, if anything.

48 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Anyone else wish Romero made a spiritual successor that pushes the Doom engine to the very limits? Something like Ion Maiden.

I think it's safe to say that literally everyone would be excited for such a thing, but realistically it's extremely difficult, especially without some kind of team. Besides, Romero has other projects and still has to make a living. I'm honestly grateful we're getting a whole episode.

2 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

I think it's safe to say that literally everyone would be excited for such a thing, but realistically it's extremely difficult, especially without some kind of team. Besides, Romero has other projects and still has to make a living. I'm honestly grateful we're getting a whole episode.

He could always hire people from Doomworld. AFAIK, Cage is one of their texture and sprite artists? Level Designers, artists, you name it. Doomworld has it all. I'm sure the other communities such as the extremely talented Quake community would chime in too.

49 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

He could always hire people from Doomworld. AFAIK, Cage is one of their texture and sprite artists? Level Designers, artists, you name it. Doomworld has it all. I'm sure the other communities such as the extremely talented Quake community would chime in too.

I don't think it will be that simple. Magnum opus maps take a relatively long time to build, Miasma took three months (IIRC) and even though it is huge, it's not pushing the limits. Now imagine making maps which are twice as complex and large and multiply that by 9 maps for an episode

A limit pushing Doom engine game would be cool, but let Romero do what he does best; focus on level design. When you start asking for new enemies, weapons, textures, limit pushing levels, and managing a team, you start to stretch yourself thin.

On 12/9/2018 at 7:29 AM, ReX said:

Maybe it's a game that will be available for 5 bucks. Heh.

I stand corrected.

(This means that I'll have a net gain of 5 bucks, as I was prepared to pay that much before I knew it would be available for free. I can finally have that Big Mac hamburger for which I've been saving my money.)

4 hours ago, DooM_RO said:

I'd think if he were going to put in the amount of effort to do something like Ion Maiden he'd want to make it a commercial game so the Doom engine and assets would present a problem.

But a full, original game in an old-school style by Romero would be neat and definitely something I'd pay for if it turned out well. Considering all of the old school FPS games cropping up and doing well it seems like the time for it is right. 

Just now, Gunstar Green said:

I'd think if he were going to put in the amount of effort to do something like Ion Maiden he'd want to make it a commercial game so the Doom engine would present a problem due to its open source license.

Nonsense. The Doom engine is GPL which guarantees permission for commercial use, as long as the product is open source.

The engine is GPL but they would have to create a whole IWAD from scratch, not using any Doom asset, like the HacX team had to do for their IWAD.

If Sigil turns a profit, Romero should hire 2-3  successful mappers and work on Sigil 2, which will be a free megawad for Doom 2. And then release physical goodies boxes like for Sigil!

And the Sigil 2 usb sticks will be Romero's head on a (usb) stick!

12 hours ago, kmxexii said:

Some people actually prefer the original Doom's slower pace! I doubt whether the person you are quoting has much if any interesting in The Plutonia Experiment.

there is a difference in having preference and saying that "is not how DooM meant to be played"

7 hours ago, Gunstar Green said:

I'd think if he were going to put in the amount of effort to do something like Ion Maiden he'd want to make it a commercial game so the Doom engine and assets would present a problem.

But a full, original game in an old-school style by Romero would be neat and definitely something I'd pay for if it turned out well. Considering all of the old school FPS games cropping up and doing well it seems like the time for it is right. 

Of course it would be a commercial game, he's a professional after all. I don't expect him to do something like this for free. I'd pay 30 bucks for it if it's really good, even more. Hell, I'd pay 30 bucks just to get my hands on the new resources for mapping. Ion Maiden was made from scratch too if I recall correctly so why not this too? It could be Doom in all but name, just like Ion Maiden. 

6 hours ago, VGA said:

The engine is GPL but they would have to create a whole IWAD from scratch, not using any Doom asset, like the HacX team had to do for their IWAD.

If Sigil turns a profit, Romero should hire 2-3  successful mappers and work on Sigil 2, which will be a free megawad for Doom 2. And then release physical goodies boxes like for Sigil!

And the Sigil 2 usb sticks will be Romero's head on a (usb) stick!

Sigil of the Baphomet means Church of the Satan. This title shouldn't be used for a Doom II megawad, only if it was separated into episodes. Doom II needs techbases, and maybe cities with new textures as well.

Sigil of Baphomet is used by the Church of Satan but it doesn't mean Church of Satan. ;) Baphomet wasn't originally anything to do with Satanism or the Church of Satan, it was adopted by modern Satanism in the 60's and that's pretty much when the Sigil was invented. Baphomet was originally a Pagan Idol without a known form until Eliphas Levi created one using Pagan symbolism which was then used as an occult symbol before Satanism and the Church of Satan even claimed it. Satanism pretty much bastardized the Baphomet. It's a popular misconception that Baphomet is related to Satan, calling Baphomet Satan isn't different than calling Egypt's goat god Khnum or Pagan's Pan Satan.

Edited by Avoozl

1 hour ago, Avoozl said:

Sigil of Baphomet is used by the Church of Satan but it doesn't mean Church of Satan. ;) Baphomet wasn't originally anything to do with Satanism or the Church of Satan, it was adopted by modern Satanism in the 60's and that's pretty much when the Sigil was invented. Baphomet was originally a Pagan Idol without a known form until Eliphas Levi created one using Pagan symbolism which was then used as an occult symbol before Satanism and the Church of Satan even claimed it. Satanism pretty much bastardized the Baphomet. It's a popular misconception that Baphomet is related to Satan, calling Baphomet Satan isn't different than calling Egypt's goat god Khnum or Pagan's Pan Satan.

True, but in the case of Doom, this title wouldn't make sense at all for anything but infernal levels.

Generally, I like The Romero, but:

- why couldn't he manage to release it on time Dec. 10th? Doom's birthday did not come by suprise...

- shipping costs are MUCH to high, so I'll just take the freeware version, sorry!

Sigil is just a fancy way to say seal. Not the animal, mind you. The authenticating symbol. Baphomet is a deformation of Mahomet. The knight templars were accused of worshiping it, influenced by the Muslim populations of the Holy Land. The association between baphomet and a goat face comes from Eliphas Levy in the 19th century.

Edited by Gez

9 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

there is a difference in having preference and saying that "is not how DooM meant to be played"

ketmar's statements belie a willful ignorance of the depth and breadth of gameplay that Doom II brought to the fold in the same way that slaughter haters used to wade into threads and offer their hot takes based on a style that they had no interest in engaging. The vociferous slaughter hatred has slowly petered out but the Doom vs. Doom II scars run deep. There is a portion of the player base that could not care less about Doom II. Its release came as an unwelcome gameplay evolution for them. The fact that most of the custom content made by the community is for Doom II probably doesn't help (thank goodness for the 2011 Doom renaissance!). This is really just dragging Doom vs. Doom II drama into a thread that's already had a fair share of its own, though.

c'mon, people, i thought that there is no way such bold statements could be taken seriously, at all. "i know how DooM meant to be played", "SSG is crap" -- those are obvious jokes! althru i really don't like SSG and DooM II gameplay (and slaughtermaps ;-), i am not a Godsent Messiah to set the rules for others. take it easy, and sorry for bad joke.

4 minutes ago, ketmar said:

c'mon, people, i thought that there is no way such bold statements could be taken seriously, at all. "i know how DooM meant to be played", "SSG is crap" -- those are obvious jokes! althru i really don't like SSG and DooM II gameplay (and slaughtermaps ;-), i am not a Godsent Messiah to set the rules for others. take it easy, and sorry for bad joke.

there are no jokes in the doom community and the wads are paved with cheese

7 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Generally, I like The Romero, but:

- why couldn't he manage to release it on time Dec. 10th? Doom's birthday did not come by suprise...

I mean, if he wasn't done he wasn't done I guess.

On 12/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, Nancsi said:

Barons are meant to be destroyed by weapon 5-6-7.

yes then you fight them in close range and you die, because you can't use rocket or you don't have bfg

i remember a level with 3 of them popping up in a tiny room with no bfg, plasma is stupid there

also the chaingun replace the regular shotgun in every way

@DooM_RO I agree with much of what you are saying, and certainly, these maps will need to be judged on the basis of merit and quality, not the star power of the name attached to them. But hype for the project and the quality of the final result are seperate in my mind. Of course, people have a right to be hyped for something like this, hell, I am, but the maps themselves will need to be judged as objectively as possible, especially for something like a Cacoaward.

EDIT: Just took out ranty stuff that I had more time to think about and regretted it.