Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

From what I see from the videos, this will be the deal. Just imagine E4M2, E4M6 or Map29 on steroids. I love those flashy zigzags on ceilings, it became Romero's trademark in Tech Gone Bad.

By the way, the full episode name is Sigil of the Baphomet, just caught from the stream. That means the Church of Satan.

1 hour ago, Nevander said:

I'm seeing far too much salt in the other thread and here for such a epic event. Who gives a damn who made Doom? Who cares that it's not a whole new game? Do you guys realize that these are more new maps made by a level designer from the original company over 20 years later? That kind of thing is unheard of. Most devs move on and only goes where the money is. We need more devs like Romero who actually care about the communities surrounding his previous work. I for one am quite happy and super excited.

This +100.

1 hour ago, Manuel-K said:

Really? I remember that they got bought by Crytek and became Crytek UK. And then made Crysis 2.

When I mentioned Free Radical, I was talking about their Timesplitters games.

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

that release trailer better not be played on UV-difficulty, because if it is it might be snooze-fest.wad...

There is always the Nightmare difficulty if you think a mapset is too easy for you

@ Nine inch Heels:

I just emailed John about your complaint.  He says you should have watched his twitch stream where he played through map 2, which took him 2 hours.  In other words, he's going to make us his bitches with this set.  Better?

The question I have is, I wonder if there will be a new intermission map progress screen like with E1-E3? I feel like it will just be the default E4 texture style but I hope not.

If not, I'm sure the talented artists here can make one similar to E4's unofficial one 

I'm so excited for this! He stated on the stream he may do some stuff for Doom II (along with the fact that, next year? is Doom II's 25th anniversary :o) which is also very exciting! It's a great year to be a Doomer! 

2 minutes ago, Nevander said:

The question I have is, I wonder if there will be a new intermission map progress screen like with E1-E3? I feel like it will just be the default E4 texture style but I hope not.

If not, I'm sure the talented artists here can make one similar to E4's unofficial one 

I sure hope so! I did notice that when he was selecting maps it just said "SIGIL E5M1" without any titles on the levels... I hope the levels are titled as well

1 minute ago, Nevander said:

Just find some stock image of a weird terrain, photoshop a couple hell locations on there, then have Romero's head on a stick progressively coming out of the ground in the middle with every level you beat until by the final level he is fully exposed and you must enter him to beat the episode.

I have no complaints about Romero making more DOOM levels. But he's always using them for some weird reasons. Over two years ago he made E1M8b to get people to fund Blackroom by showing "the kind of gameplay you can expect" in a completely different game. I mean, come on. Who thinks it's a good idea to make a level for another game as a teaser instead of, I don't know, showing the damn game itself? Now he made an episode that won't be released for two months because he wants to sell a box with trinkets. Meanwhile his actual new game probably won't be released anyway.

23 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

I just emailed John about your complaint.

Did you also politely inform him on the difference between a 9-map episode and a megawad?

12 minutes ago, General Rainbow Bacon said:

@ Nine inch Heels:

I just emailed John about your complaint.  He says you should have watched his twitch stream where he played through map 2, which took him 2 hours.  In other words, he's going to make us his bitches with this set.  Better?

Does not convince me. Nothing I have seen in the trailer looks like something I would enjoy personally, that doesn't make the maps bad fwiw, it just means I'm sceptical, which I have every right to be. And yes my opinion so far is based solely on the trailer since I haven't seen anything besides that yet, and whenever I see maps that require chaingunning cacos and pinkies, with ample room to dodge no less, then my reactions are usually more on the reserved side of things. Let's not forget that I didn't say it's gonna be boring and tedious, but what I am saying is that I'm not "hyped". Also, a John Romero on stream, talking about the maps and interacting with chat while playing is not something that I would consider a benchmark at any lengths.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

What if I have Ultimate Doom? Will it work with that?

Yes, he stated in his stream (and on Twitter/ Insta) that it will definitely work with that. 

4 hours ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Shame that Romero is mentioned as the one who made Doom, the so called, "Godfather" of the fps genre. Credited at creating the game when in reality the whole team at id Software put it together.

Are you referring to the line "SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero."

If so, he isn't saying Doom was created solely by him, he's saying Sigil is a free medawad created by him.

7 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

What if I have Ultimate Doom? Will it work with that?

Lol no. Fifth episode goes after third one in original Doom.

Regarding map progression screen:

I guess this can be done if the wad is made for specific ports, but if it's supposed to be a vanilla episode, we won't see anything that isn't supported in the original game. 

Anyway, Romero was playing Sigil on Twitch with GZDoom, a port which WOULD allow to implement a new episode progression screen. However, since he already reacted reluctantly to questions like whether there would be a new boss at the end of the episode, my bet is he's focussing completely on map design with stock sprites and textures. I wouldn't count on seeing ANY new ingame graphics, tbh.

17 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Are you referring to the line "SIGIL™ is a free megawad for the original 1993 DOOM® created by John Romero."

If so, he isn't saying Doom was created solely by him, he's saying Sigil is a free medawad created by him.

No I mean that he didn't create the game Doom by himself.

"A lot of gamers got excited yesterday when John Romero announced that his new project would be unveiled today. However, it appears that this new “John Romero” game is just a megawad for the original Doom and nothing more."

lmao Romero is getting roasted.

Well to be honest it does seem kinda dumb that this is considered news seeing as the new episode is just a new level pack and nothing else. I mean there are like 5 million Doom mods/level packs already. What makes these levels special other than the fact Romero made them? There are arguably even better level designers already in the Doom community.

38 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

No I mean that he didn't create the game Doom by himself.

Can you show where he says he created it all by himself?

38 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

Well to be honest it does seem kinda dumb that this is considered news seeing as the new episode is just a new level pack and nothing else. I mean there are like 5 million Doom mods/level packs already. What makes these levels special other than the fact Romero made them? There are arguably even better level designers already in the Doom community.

It isn't hard to see why its news. He helped create the very game this website is named after and is(was) a big name in gaming. People simply aren't going to be as interested if xXxVampire_Marine_KillahxXx made a mapset as they will one of the original creators. Hell, even AAA studios that make a mapset for a game they didn't even help create would be in the news as evidenced by Machinegames' Quake 1 Episode released a year or two ago.

The simple fact you are here posting in the thread about his episode proves this. Sure there might be better wads, hell for all we know this could be the very worst wad ever created, it will still make the news because the dude has clout.

36 minutes ago, hardcore_gamer said:

What makes these levels special other than the fact Romero made them?

That's precisely what makes them special, as he was one of the original forces behind the game in the first place. I'm not sure anybody said they will be the best levels, or that there aren't better mappers out there. Your question is effectively "What makes these levels special after I remove the thing that makes them special?"

^Agreed.  Also, interesting to see how the original map designer's mapping skills have changed.  And to top it off, he's generating more revenue off a game who's revenue stream should have ended long ago.  Any of us made a game that's made half as much as Doom did?  Probably not.  So there's really no use in comparing the community's mapping skills against someone who actually does make money doing it.  

26 minutes ago, wheresthebeef said:

Can you show where he says he created it all by himself?

I mean that he shouldn't be credited as the one who brought Doom into this world, but rather the whole team with him included.