Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

2 minutes ago, Sparktimus said:

I don't understand why him advertising his wad with some (optional) boxed stuff is inherently a bad thing. I personally wouldn't give Romero my money just to get some cool merch or whatever, but the wad itself is free to get. If he had locked it behind a paywall, I would be singing a different tune, but that's not the case.

You don't get it, I WANT to give him my money but the WAD is not good enough for that. I mean it is good but not good enough.

2 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

>Popular
>Niche

Pick one

Jesus christ, you really don't understand how something can be popular in his own niche? Brutal Doom is a great example. Or are you expecting a Doom mod as popular as GTA V? lol

Ok, now I'm done for real. Be cool guys

Edited by Noiser

Just now, DooM_RO said:

You don't get it, I WANT to give him my money but the WAD is not good enough for that. I mean it is good but not good enough.

You aren't giving him money for the wad. The wad itself is completely free. If you were giving him money for anything, it would be for the collectors box and all the knickknacks. The wad however does not cost you anything and that's what's being discussed.

Just now, Noiser said:

Jesus christ, you really don't understand how something can be popular in his own niche? Brutal Doom is a great example. Or you are expecting to see a Doom mod as popular as GTA V? lol

Ok, now I'm done for real. Be cool guys

No, I want to see something at least on the same level as Ancient Aliens, Square and REKKR.

Just now, Sparktimus said:

You aren't giving him money for the wad. The wad itself is completely free. If you were giving him money for anything, it would be for the collectors box and all the knickknacks. The wad however does not cost you anything and that's what's being discussed.

No, but the merchandise is directly linked to the WAD. I want to buy it to support John and his new game but now I am really on the fence about it.

6 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

No, I want to see something at least on the same level as Ancient Aliens, Square and REKKR.

You're asking too much. The man itself can't give more that he can chew. You should know that but I see that you can't understand that.

And the wad is goddamn free!!! 

Cmon dude...be grateful that he did this for us to play and enjoy...

3 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

You're asking too much. The man itself can't give more that he can chew. You should know that but I see that you can't understand that.

Well it's not that simple. I would not be arguing if if wasn't also linked to the merchandise. It's obvious he wants to sell the merchandise based on the WAD (likely to support his new game) and the way I see it, how much I like the WAD determines whether I buy it or not. I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm saying I don't like it enough to buy it and I want to buy it to support his new game.

1 minute ago, leodoom85 said:

Agreed.

I'd rather be happy that he even bothers to make the episode, then be mad because it looks bad, or is bad, or expect him to make the most technologically advanced wad. I'm just happy because he bothers. Most devs move on, Romero didn't. After 25 years.

And besides, isn't Romero essentially the reason we're all here?

2 minutes ago, Lazorical said:

And besides, isn't Romero essentially the reason we're all here?

I am here for Sandy :) (And Heretic)

3 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

Well it's not that simple. I would not be arguing if if wasn't also linked to the merchandise. It's obvious he wants to sell the merchandise based on the WAD (likely to support his new game) and the way I see it, how much I like the WAD determines whether I buy it or not. I'm not saying I don't like it, I'm saying I don't like it enough to buy it and I want to buy it to support his new game.

So what?

I'm just gonna get the wad, download it and play it. Simple.

The rest of additional stuff I don't care. Period. You're just complaining for trivial matters.

Just now, SOSU said:

(And Heretic)

Oh, i'm too much of a noob to understand that this isn't a Doom-only community. Whoops. My bad. The more you know, i guess.

21 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

No, but the merchandise is directly linked to the WAD. I want to buy it to support John and his new game but now I am really on the fence about it.

It's tangential related to the wad, but it's simply merchandise. Merch like the stuff you can buy off of his site store or his eBay. You can still support him regardless of whether or not you like the wad. Hell, you can buy the box thingy and never even touch the wad, or any of his other merch.

"Well I want to support him but he can't make a wad as good as x" is illogical because you aren't supporting his wad making abilities. You aren't giving him money to make you something.  You are supporting the man. By this same token, it would be like if I had a friend who played football who I wanted to help out financially but instead was like "Look, I'd like to help you out, but your football playing skills just aren't up to my standards. You aren't as good as Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, so I'm afraid I can't give you any money. Get better at playing football and maybe I'll buy something from your garage sale." It makes no sense because I'm giving him money to support him. Not his skills as a football player.

Edited by Sparktimus

1 minute ago, SOSU said:

iIam here for Sandy :) (And Heretic)

#TeamSandy

Now all Romero needs to do is get Sandy to help for Doom II's 25th next year and I'll definitely be all over that.

Whatever they're making, I'm getting.

1 minute ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

#TeamSandy

Now all Romero needs to do is get Sandy to help for Doom II's 25th next year and I'll definitely be all over that.

Whatever they're making, I'm getting.

He could make a Doom themed Call of Cthulhu board game campaign :D

1 hour ago, SOSU said:

@kmxexii I hope you review it as soon as possible!I really like your ONEMANDOOM reviews :)

Whenever it's available I will certainly play it. I'm also likely to preorder one of the packages because the idea that this could lead to a Doom II release intrigues me.

4 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

So what?

I'm just gonna get the wad, download it and play it. Simple.

The rest of additional stuff I don't care. Period. You're just complaining for trivial matters.

But I DO care and I DO want to buy it. I want to support him and his new game but only if he deserves it. It's obvious this is a warm-up for his new game which is why I want him to try harder. 

11 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

In all fairness, I think judging the entire product based on a 2 minute trailer and a stream is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but evidently just having reservations based on what's been shown so far triggers the fanbois around here.

I mean, the whole box thing, that's paid for fanservice. I'll have a look at the maps, and when I feel like they're up my alley somehow I'm gonna consider throwing money at it, assuming it's still possible by the time I get to play them. Like hey, Romero doesn't look like he's starving anytime soon, but he didn't even make any money off of quake even though he put work into it.

2 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

But I DO care and I DO want to buy it. I want to support him and his new game but only if he deserves it. It's obvious this is a warm-up for his new game which is why I want him to try harder. 

You are making way too many assumptions here. Since when is he making a new game?

Also, when you say you want to buy "it", what exactly do you mean? Do you mean the free wad or the merchandise. They're two separate things.

1 minute ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

In all fairness, I think judging the entire product based on a 2 minute trailer and a stream is throwing the baby out with the bathwater, but evidently just having reservations based on what's been shown so far triggers the fanbois around here.

Exactly. Nuff said.

No more words needed...

Just now, Sparktimus said:

You are making way too many assumptions here. Since when is he making a new game?

Blackroom is a thing that is most likely in the pipelines.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

Blackroom is a thing that is most likely in the pipelines.

I thought that was cancelled last I heard.

1 minute ago, Sparktimus said:

I thought that was cancelled last I heard.

Work was already put into it, that work costs money and the kickstarter got cancelled because there was no gameplay demo available. Anyway, it seems to me that throwing whatever work had taken place into the bin is burning cash. I wouldn't be surprised if that project got revived eventually.

57 minutes ago, Liberation said:

So what exactly is the fucking problem with people that we need 3/4 pages of people flaming?? 

Basically, someone has committed a crime of stating that they might not like it.

Looking forward to play his new episode. It looks like some good old classic mapping with Romero's iconic style, which is what I was expecting when I heard he was making new maps and it looks also coherent for Doom 25th anniversary. Were you guys seriously expecting funky colored maps filled with gzdoom features or slaughtermaps?

1 minute ago, gaspe said:

Were you guys seriously expecting funky colored maps filled with gzdoom features or slaughtermaps?

strawman.exe

Nobody asked for a custom palette or slaughtermaps.

55 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

If he could get Buckethead to make new music then why not a couple of artists too? Hell, since this is a free project he could have easily hired a few talented individuals from our community. 

What if he just didn't want new art for the episode FFS?

NRFTL was an ID sanctioned, commercial product, and it didn't use any new art as well.

Some people can't be pleased with anything.

23 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Work was already put into it, that work costs money and the kickstarter got cancelled because there was no gameplay demo available. Anyway, it seems to me that throwing whatever work had taken place into the bin is burning cash. I wouldn't be surprised if that project got revived eventually.

Well, either way, Blackroom is a completely separate entity from this new episode, so assuming that it's a warm up for a game that may or may not even happen is a bit of a stretch.

The point is that no one is obligated to buy the merch to play the wad, nor are the obligated to play the wad to buy the merch. They're only linked in namesake only. Paying for the merch is more or less a donation. Hell, I'm sure he has a Paypal or something that anyone can donate to if they don't feel like buying that stuff if they seriously just want to support Romero